Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2004, 10:44 AM   #1
Montana_89
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #89
TT Rollover on 95N

We just came back from a 3000 mile trip from Florida. We caravaned with a 35-foot motorhome and a 32-foot TT. The travel trailer driver lost control on 95N and laid the trailer on its side due to a truck drafting it. The point to this is... my 5th wheel handled fantastically without any movement due to trucks whatsoever. I don't believe that I will ever recommned a TT to anyother camper.

Montana_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:56 PM   #2
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Wow! That must have been terrible to see!!! Trust that your friends are okay--but it sure is a lousy way to end a vacation. Like you, we experienced no drafting or wind kick back issues with the 5er on our recent trip. Had a VW camper many years ago and know from experience how scarey the truck drafts can be--especially on bridges.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Sure hope everyone is OK.
We need more info. If you have it. Like How big a TT?, What was the TV they were using? and especially what equipment were they using for load and sway control? I see folks on the road all the time using the wrong equipment. TT's are very safe if set up properly. Would appreciate you sending along any additional info. you have.
There's no doubt TT owners need to do there homework. We need to deal with Tongue weights, Weight distribution and Sway Control. We recently saw a Family in NM that was towing around a 30' TT and hitched to the back of the TT was a 20' flat trailer loaded with ATV's, Motocross Bikes and Bicycles. Oh yea they were towing this "disaster waiting to happen" with a Chevy Suburban. We also were parked next to a couple with a new TT that asked us what that stuff was when we were un hooking. They had no knowledge of sway control. They were doing alot of white knuckle driving. At least we were able to educate them a little and they promised to get somthing ASAP. It's sad to think some Dealers are sending people down the road like that.
Not saying things can't happen with the best equip. that is set up right, but knowledge is a powerful thing.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:57 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Sorry to hear about your friends. Knowledge is indeed power. Looks like lots of homework is needed to insure safety in our travel. Thanks for the posting. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:10 AM   #5
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Sorry to hear about that, thats not a good thing to hear, hope everyone is ok, thats what matters most, equip can be replaced. I have had both TT and 5vrs , mine TT was set up with sway controls and load dist and never had any problems.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:18 AM   #6
Montana_89
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #89
To asnwer some of your questions... the "roll over rig" was a 2003, 32-foot Sprinter being pulled with a 2004 3/4 ton Suburban. He was using the Reese cam equalizers with 1000 pound bars.

After a week to think about it, I believe the lose of control may be due to several issues: (1) the driver's 3rd time pull; (2) the drafting of the truck at 65 mph; and, (3) the truck has an automatic leveling system. I believe that the 3rd issue may have automatically taken "some weight" off the equalizing hitch. Thank God that the couple was without without any injury whatsoever. The Suburban had only rear hitch-bumper damage and was driveable. the "jackknife" position helped the truck from rolling with the trailer.

Old 08-25-2004, 05:51 AM   #7
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Oh my goodness!!! That would really freak me out and what a horrible way to end a vacation. I'm so glad they weren't hurt, was the TT a total loss?
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:18 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Our sympathies to the family that lost their new rig. This happened to a friend of mine not long ago, just a week after they had the TT and the hitch equipment "tweaked" by a fellow in the Elkhart Indiana area. This guy was trusted by my friend, and is supposed to be one of the premier hitch installers.

5er's will roll too, have heard of several, one was a Montana being delivered somewhere in the Dakota's during the winter months. Seems the professional driver hit some ice, the rest was history. (No, I do not know if he was hurt or not.)

Our experience so far with the 5er over the TT is that we don't feel those 18 wheelers when they fly by at 75 MPH. We drive about 57 to 60 most of the time, and they just fly by us. With the TT it used to just drag us in, and we had 3 sway controls on that rig. With the 5er, we don't feel that drag. The stability of a 5er was one of the major reasons we went to a 5er. We have had a pop up, 2 hard sided TTs, for a period of close to 20 years. The 5er we have had for a little over a year. This has been the most pleasant year of towing we have had yet!

So, those are our experiences. Our 2 cents worth.

Happy camping all!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:35 AM   #9
Montana_89
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #89
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Melissa and Mike S

Oh my goodness!!! That would really freak me out and what a horrible way to end a vacation. I'm so glad they weren't hurt, was the TT a total loss?
The TT was in pieces and was a total lose. The body pulled apart from the frame that was twisted.