Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Protection from Lightening

I have been wondering and this may be from ignorance of how this works, but in the event of lightening hitting the Montana normally it would act like an automobile because it has rubber tires which prevent it from being grounded. Now, consider the Montana, that has the tires but it also has rear stabilizer, front jacks, and a pin stabilizer, all metal touching the ground. So, are we more or less exposed to the dangers of lightening?

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:22 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would think you are pretty well grounded and have no protection except being a lower profile than the surroundings, hopefully.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:35 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
First Myth: Tires provide you with insulation from ground. Tires have a large percentage of carbon, which is the same material used in your spark plug wires. They are very good conductors for high voltage. I have seen tires that expoloded on a car when the car was hit by a hot overhead line.

Second Myth: Your jacks ground you. True earth ground is at least 3' below grade. Your jacks and landing gear do not serve to ground you anymore than the tires themselves.

As Ozz says - high profile and good earth ground are the lightning attractors. Things to reduce your "attraction" include lowering your antenna, removing any masts attached to your rig, and unplug from the campsite (campsite is true ground). Typically your greatest risk at that point is a nearby strike to a tree or pole, which can cause damage to your Monty from the energy ball surrounding the strike (TVs, electronics, etc.).

Lighting protection systems on structures include air terminals on the roof attached to heavy cabling going to a buried ground loop around the building. The idea is to attract the lightning and deliver it to ground without impacting the building. You do not want to create any part of this type of system, as the grounding provision in the Monty are not heavy enough to carry the lightning, including the campsite electrical. If a strike occurs, it will superheat and destroy everything in its path trying to get to that ground through your Monty.

Third Myth: Lightning follows the rules.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
In a Montana you should be because of the Steel rafters and aluminum frame. That will form a Faraday Cage around you. In a car it is not the rubber tires that protect you but rather the Faraday Cage effect that the car forms around you.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:34 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Would have to disagree with you Dennis -

The Faraday Cage principle (now termed metallic cage) is primarily used for protection of explosives or bunkers, and is ineffective unless provided with a continuous true earth ground. An automobile or Monty would not have a true earth ground. It is this lack of efficient ground that makes them less of an attractor.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Great explanation Brad. Cleared up a lot questions. Many Thanks
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
Retired Pilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #6630
As far as I can determine from research not a single person has ever been killed by lightening while in an automobile while one of the deadliest places to be during a lightening storm is in a golf cart. What does that tell you?
Retired Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Wow! I knew I would get to the bottom of this issue by asking on this site. Thanks to everyone. I feel like will just hunker down during a storm and tuck in my antenas.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Don't play golf in a thunderstorm. Stay put in your Montana. I spent the summer on a high bluff where at least once or twice a week large thunderstorms with severe lightning would cross over me and my wife. After being scared the first few times we settled down and got accustomed to the severe lightning strikes all around us and never a problem. We went through two satellite dishes getting broken from the winds but never any lightning damage to any electronics or electrical systems on the camper. I have the plug in surge protectors on all my electronics in my camper. These are the type available at any store. I don't know that it made any difference. On any direct lightning strike any protectors made are useless anyway. With the voltage spikes of a direct or indirect lightning strike electronics will be fried. I once lived in lightning alley of central Florida and had a direct hit at my home. All electronics in the house were toast. I was fine with the strike hitting my solar water heater directly over my head destroying it. I watched as a puff of smoke emanated from my television set as it died. The chance of a lightning strike hitting you is one in 57 million. About the same as winning the lottery! Go have fun and forget about it!
Kevin
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
mailmanguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6684
Wow Brad!

What a terrific and informative response!

I learned a lot!

Thank you sir.
mailmanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
One thing I know, it can sure fry your electonics. We had a lightning strike last spring in a tree about 10' from the stick house. Knocked out our two whole house circuit breakers and fried lots of stuff...heat/air, blew a hole in the gas line, blew a hole in the A/C freon line, garage door opener, phones, computer, and more...even melted and put a 30 degree bend in a curling iron sitting on a sink. Don't know if it will help the Montana, but that's one reason we got the Surge Guard. After the strike we got big heavy duty surge protectors for our elecrical items inside the stick house.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We don't get alot of thunder and lightning in Anchorage, but the few times we did, I unplugged all my electronic equip. Better safe than sorry........

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Holy buckets Bert - that's a bunch of damage. Don't like the sound of getting holes in the gas and freon lines!!