Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
A first for me

It's going to happen sooner or later, while travling to Tybee Island the lock on my tool box broke & the lid came open. It was after dark and I did not realize it was open until I heard the fiberglass crunch , made a small hole in the front cap. While traveling home today we had a blow out on the Monty. Changed my tire & got back on the road to see another fifthwheel with the same tire blownout . These were the first incidents we have ever had in 12 years of RV'ing (knock on wood) and we hope the last.

On the bright side we had a goodtime in Tybee & got meet sreigle (Steve & Vicki) and their friends Roman4 and Roman4too (Harmon and Ruth). Very nice folks, really enjoyed visiting with them.

mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Glad the damage wasn't worse. Which tire blew, and did it do any damgae to the rig?
Last but not least, how did the trailer handle with the blown tire?
I've not experienced that yet, and was just wondering.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry to hear about your two mishaps, but sure sounds like you had a wonderful trip! I hope you are able to get the fiberglass fixed quickly on your coach so you can get back to enjoying it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
I'm sorry to hear about the mishap! At least there was no major accident with the blowout or injuries! 12 years is a long time to go incident free, you must be doing something right!!! Here's to continued safe and happy travels!
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
When the tire blew it felt like the trailer bottomed out, no swaying or anything, I was impressed the way it handled. The tire left some black rubber mark on the lower skirt of the Monty that I think will come off with some elbow grease. It also did a number on the galley drain handle behind the rear tire, thats the tire that blew. Already straightened the handle to where it functions. Alls well that ends well.
mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm sorry to hear about the problems, Mark, but I'm glad you, Sharon, and Sadie made it home safely. We really enjoyed meeting and chatting with you folks. Hopefully we'll be able to do that again one of these days when we're in the Chattanooga area.

Rickety, we've blown several tires and handling is not a problem at all. Once, we heard the tire pop so I pulled over right away. The other times we didn't even know we had a tire problem until someone signaled us we had a problem. As Mark said, no sway or anything.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Mark I have not had to deal with a blown tire wet, but sounds like you can out lucky not to have more damage!

Rick my biggest fear is to have a blow out on the rear of my 2500 TV. A 1 ton would sure be a great advantage with this circumstances!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
glad to hear it worked out ok. also, great to hear there was no side to side swaying action.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I had an inside dually wheel blow on a Class C MH. The only way I knew it was that I happened to look out the side mirror and saw all the rubber in the road...and knew it was not there seconds before when I drove over that part of the road.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In 6 years of driving busses of all kinds I have had several flat tires on the dual rear wheels. Most of the time I never knew it till rubber started to fly or things went bumpty bump' Have also found them flat in the yard during the pre trip..which is why we always do a pre trip on the RV..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have had blown tires on both sides of the Monty and on both axles. As has been posted, I didn't even know it on the first one until I got to my destination and Dianna informed me while spotting the rig. The second time, we noticed it immediately and pulled off without difficulty.

In both cases there was some damage done to the tire wells. One side had damage extensive enough to require an insurance claim, the other, a little straightening by hand. I was amazed at the ease of handling in both incidents. Sure do love that Coach-net Road Service.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:52 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If it helps anyone to not worry about handling issues when a tire goes on the trailer, this blowout was on our 1999 Jayco Eagle 25' fifthwheel. We did not know this tire had a problem until a Jeep pulled up alongside us and signaled us. As you can see, we apparently had been running on this one long enough for it to shred the tire. I heard no pop so am assuming it just went flat and the rim shredded it. There was no indication of a problem in the handling. None.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:03 AM   #13
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Hate to see what a blowout on the left side of a 3400 would do to the T handle and rod for the galley grey water drain.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote