Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Not-so-rookie mistake

Been full timing for over 3 years, no big errors (until yesterday).

When you have big changes in how you do things, bad stuff can happen.

Nancy had to fly from
Florida back to the West Coast for some work stuff, and I was left to haul the Monty from FL to CA. On day one, without my BW to back me up on the processes, and because I got the RV hitched the night before, I managed to not hook up the electrical connector to the tow vehicle and missed it on my "walk around" check.

We always do a "light check" check on tow out. No spouse, no light check, no RV brakes or lights. Took 5 min down the Interstate to notice the brake controller with dashed lines...

No harm, no foul, but when your established habit patterns change, be REALLY cautious and double check the important stuff..

Best to all,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good advice, glad there was no harm.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I guess I miss that problem because I always check the trailer brakes using the controller when we pull out of the park. Glad there was no foul. You never know how much you miss the sanity check until it is not there.
Cheers.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Great reminder!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
PJ
Next time you are solo, put your emergency blinkers on, get out of the truck and walk to the back of the Monty and check. This checks everything except the brakes. (Don't forget to turn your emergency blinkers off!)
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Sue: Good tip...I'll used it tomorrow...the problem still remains basically the same, it is the break in the "flow" you are used to which gets you....we'll see if I remember your technique tomorrow, and subsequently until it becomes a habit pattern. Once it becomes a habit, that will eliminate one specific problem...till then, hope some other ones don't crop up. Still figure I need the brake light check, which is what got me on the other day's situation.

Thanks,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
PJ,

I completely understand the flow problem. I bent one of my jacks because it was on someone elses side of the trailer. Trust me after one event you will be so paranoid you will double check her work the first time your back together. I am glad your situation ended safely and hope your back with your DW soon!
Okie Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That is exactly why we use a boring check list. I think I can do it all blindfolded. But we still use the dumb checklist. The "dumb" is not the check list, it is the dumb things I might do if I don't use it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I use a checklist also. In fact, I put two columns of check boxes down the left side for a check and double check by the wife. I must admit that when she asks me questions about what I did...sometimes I "think" of getting testy,,,,then I remember the things I forget to do when I don't use the list...keeps us honest.

I agree with the statement to get out and check the lights yourself if your DW is not able to be there and do it. I used to drive a bus, and you can't take anything for granted...brakes are a challenge though. I have noticed that I can see the light reflection off the ground from out lights. It helps, even though my wife is back there to check.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:18 AM   #10
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Sue, everyday we learn something new. We never thought about using the emergency lights as a way to check the lights. I am normally with husband when we take off and that is the last thing we do before we pull out - I go behind our TT and we check all the lights. Thanks for that tip Sue! I just shared that with husband so now he can do that himself easily if need be. Check lists are a great idea too.
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:59 AM   #11
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
PJ, been there, seen that and by the time I discovered it, needed a new plug since it had beaten itself to death. Sorry we didn't get to say goodbye at MacDill.

Along this same thought, have had this happen a lot. Your neighbor has never said "HI", much less had any conversation with you until you're getting ready to leave! This often takes you out of your routine and without a checklist things get forgotten. As much as we may want to talk to an RVer, we leave them alone when they are getting out of Dodge.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:11 AM   #12
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Having just spent $200 on a new antenna (thank goodness no roof damage); the navigator (that would be me) will now check on the pilot (that would be hubby) to be sure he has put the antenna down while stowing the satelite as well, which he always does (well until this time)...Take the checklist - and and both of you cross check each other as a matter of course - and if you are solo -recheck the danger issues twice. Better safe than sorry! And it's really true - if the set up and take down routines get changed - it seems to require concentration to do the things we normally do, in the order we do them. And it really applies to vacation, part time, or full time rv'ers, doesn't it, ya'll?

Take Down or Set Up, then visit and tell them about the MOC!

Chaser

Chaser and Land Rover
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:51 AM   #13
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We both have our list of things to do...we usually do the inside first and check each other, then work together outside and double check what each has done. Even then we may miss something. So far it has been a small item and usually on the inside. Our biggest issue is leaving someting at the campground, like the pressure reducer etc.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:57 AM   #14
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
One thing I have taught in all my classes is the following:
The astronauts are the most highly trained individuals on the planet and they use a checklist for everything (even going to the bathroom). If it's good for them, it's good for me! (I must admit I use paper other than the checklist when in the bathroom.)
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote