Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
PAIC 01
Established Member

M.O.C. #6429
Montana Mountaineer info

Hi

I am new to this forum as much as I am new to ownership of a Montana Mountaineer 336RLT 5th wheel. I have some questions as to wear and tear of this unit. I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but maybe someone can direct me to the right place if not. I purchased this unit new in March of 2006 and since, I've had to replace the TV cable, replace all of the brakes and related components, fix two major leaks in two of the slide-outs, and now the side panels under the unit are falling off due to rusting panels where held by a few screws under. I am starting to think I purchased a Monday/Friday unit and quickly losing confidence in the unit. Has anyone had such problems with a Montana?

Thanks

JPP

PAIC 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard! You came to the right place. That sounds like a lot of problems, to me. Have you checked to see if this panel situation is covered under warranty? If your dealer is no help, give Keystone a call and talk to them, politely, about it. I've not heard about this problem before. And it seems a bit unusual to already have had to replace the brakes. What was wrong with them?

We've not been trouble free but our problems have been pretty minor.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
We have had our Mountaineer for 30 months, of which 16 months have been full time. We had several problems, minor by comparison to what you have experienced, to work thru during the first few months. I have just made an appointment to have some routine maintenance done and have two potentially serious items looked at. First, we have noticed some flex in the neck under the bedroom slide out. Don't know if this is a frame problem or not, but don't want to take a chance. Second is on the main slide. the white plastic ramp under the slide is getting two ruts cut in it from screws in the bottom of the slide that are not installed correctly. Both of these items have been discussed on this site.
Are there lemon laws in your state that apply to trailers? The problems you have experienced go way beyond the norm. I hope things are resolved to your satisfaction.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi JPP,

Welcome to the MOC. The TV cable is no biggie. Some units seem to have slides that leak and most don't.
I wouldn't be too happy if my slides leaked, specially if it was new. Not much time on the brakes, any idea how many miles on the brakes ? Most trailers have the same brakes, & most people get 3 or 4 years out of them. Were they set up too tight ? Boy that is very little time on them. I wouldn't think any thing could rust that fast, specially between March & now. Keystone should get a look at it. Something just doesn't seem right. what part of the US do you live in?
Keep us posted.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your Mountaineer. I know it can be very frustrating. As others have said, "it seems like your coach is too new to be having some of these problems." I also had a slide that leaked, actually found it the day I went to the Keystone Customer Service Center. The folks there got that water leak, along with some other problems fixed up. They are really great people that strive to take care of the customer!! If your dealership has not been of much help, my suggestion would be to call the folks directly at Keystone and see what they think of the issues you have been having??
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:06 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome JPP to the MOC family especially for a New York neighbor. Just prior to the time we began full timing we were residents of Ogdensburg and know the Massena area quite well.

Sorry but I can't add to what already has been said except to say I am sure all will be made right by Keystone.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:02 AM   #7
PAIC 01
Established Member

M.O.C. #6429
Thank you all for such a warm welcome. Here is a little bit of background on us and our experience as rv'ers. My wife and I retired last year and decided to take a trip to Alaska. The year prior we had bought a used 29' Laredo 5th wheel for the Alaskan trip. We left for Alaska on 8/4/05 and returned home 45 days later with more than 10,000 miles on our truck and 5th wheel and memories to last us forever. (A highly recommended trip.) We are planning on going back next year. We have been rv'ing off and on since we have been married (35 Years), from a tent to pop-up to motorhome and back to tent, but never had a 5th wheel. While in Alaska we would sit at night and think of the perfect 5th wheel while making a list of what we would like in our next 5th wheel. After returning from Alaska we went to the first RV show in Syracuse, and saw the Montana Mountaineer 336RLT and it fit the bill perfectly, so we bought it.
We brought the unit home without a problem but it felt very hard to stop. I tought it was because the unit was larger and heavier than the previous one and I needed to adjust to it. This was a 250 miles trip. (P/S) When we brought the unit home, I stopped every 50 miles or so to check the wheel lug nuts and did not see or smell any signs of overheating. A few weeks later, we took a one-week trip to Lake George, N.Y. and on our way back we almost drove right up someone's tailgate. At that time I knew something was wrong. A call was made to the dealer and they sent a young man to look at the leaks and the brakes. I was there when he inspected the brakes with his little black box telling me that the brakes were working fine as power was being directed to the brakes and he could hear the magnets engage. I asked if maybe the shoes were worn etc. and he replied it was a new unit and highly doubtfull. The next day I decided to have a look-see myself. I took the wheels off and to my surprise, I saw that all of the brake components had been over heated and the brake shoes worn out. The wheels had gotten so hot, it partially melted the black plastic hubcaps. A call to the dealer and a few weeks later, all of the brake components were replaced under warranty.
A few weeks later we took a trip to NH, and on our way back I noticed wires hanging down under the unit. I got underneath and saw that the under-belly had rusted where it was mounted with screws which allowed the panels to hang down exposing the wires. When we got home, I made another call to the dealer and now presently waiting to hear if it will be covered by warranty. We love our Mountaineer, and I am afraid that we may have purchase a lemon or as previously stated," a monday-friday unit".

P/S Nice to know people from Ogdensburg since my wife and I retired from Ogdensburg but we live in Massena.
Thanks again for the warm welcome.

JPP
Old 10-23-2006, 03:36 AM   #8
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Hi JPP,

We have owned the Montianeer 342PHT since this past spring with no major issues. I will certianly expect you dealer to be helping with your issues I don't believe these type of problems should be fixed under warranty. RE: the brakes, Overheated shoes and signs of overheated wheels to the point where the plastic hubs are melting; wow! It sounds like this was not done while you were driving the unit. I would question is this could have occured when the unit was transported from the factory to the dealer. Since these rigs are too tall to transport via truck, they are pulled over the road, in your case maybe 1K miles before you even see it. So the brakes, bearing, etc, have a decent amount of wear before you take delivery. I always like the, tighten the lugs for the first 25, 50, 100, etc miles. For most of us who do not live in the Goshen IN area, the first few hundred or so miles are already behind us when we take delivery.

When we picked up our rig new, the brakes needed adjustment prior to delivery.

Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:52 AM   #9
PAIC 01
Established Member

M.O.C. #6429
Hi Tim
My belief to what happened is, the driver delivering the unit to the dealer either had a bad electrical brake connection or he/she was a driver that likes to keep one foot on the brake pedal. The service dept. could not believe the amount of damage and it's odd that whomever was driving did not notice the smoke and/or smell the burning shoes.
I am a fanatic when it comes to upkeep of my equipment. I always check the brakes every year which includes my truck a 1999 Dodge 3500 dually with a Cummins Diesel and a 6 speed tranny.
Giddyup!
jpp