Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One suggestion regarding the extra clip on valve. We once lost one somewhere on the road. It just plain came off. The cap was still hanging by its cord but the valve was gone. All I can figure is the weight of the handle caused it to un-clip as we bounced along a particularly rough highway.

So now mine is secured by connecting two 4-inch radiator hose clamps together in series and putting them over the connection point. This valve has been in place for several years.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #22
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Steve, I like the idea of that valve, but as bad as my memory is getting,one more step to remember is pushing it. I will consider it since I don't like those surprises when taking off the cap. One more thing to buy, it never ends.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #23
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
My cap has a female hose fitting on it with a hose cap on it. I hold my flex sewer pipe right under the hose cap and remove it so any surprise drains in the sewer line before I remove the pipe cap and hook up the sewer pipe with a clear elbo on it. Still like the long cuffs on rubber gloves for any extra surprise.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

One suggestion regarding the extra clip on valve. We once lost one somewhere on the road. It just plain came off. The cap was still hanging by its cord but the valve was gone. All I can figure is the weight of the handle caused it to un-clip as we bounced along a particularly rough highway.

So now mine is secured by connecting two 4-inch radiator hose clamps together in series and putting them over the connection point. This valve has been in place for several years.
That's a very good idea, thanks!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #25
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
A small screw holds mine in place
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:13 AM   #26
triumphess
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13202
Apparently I should have read this thread to Randy before we hooked up Thursday evening. (This wasn't an issue with the Roo) I just mentioned it to him this morning as we are sitting here having coffee before packing up to head home, and found out that he had the experience. :-( Campground has great free internet, so just ordered one from Amazon ($21.29 including PA tax with Prime shipping) -- it will be installed before we head to the shore on Thursday! So thankful we have this resource!!!
triumphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #27
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I use the last knife valve as a way to clean the black tank line a bit by closing the valve briefly while emptying the grey tank (either one), so the grey water backs up toward the black tank, then open the valve again.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #28
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
I put the valve and clear plastic extension on my drain pipe and everything worked great. Then one day leaving Albuquerque there was a hunk of truck tire tread on the freeway (I-40) that I could not avoid. It flipped up and took the valve, clear plastic extension, and cap right off. I thought what I saw in my mirror was the truck tire tread flopping accross the road.

The good news is that in the low desert humidity the opened sewer line dried out before I discovered the problem and did not result in a ticket for dumping waste water. Fortunately it just twisted the whole asembly off and did not break anything on the drain pipe. I discovered what had happened at my next rest stop break during my walk around. I was able to get one of my spare caps and close it off but had to deal with the seepage issue until I could replace the valve and clear plastic extension.
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #29
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There seems to be a problem with those types of valves and Albuquerque. Or at least bad Juju.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

I use the last knife valve as a way to clean the black tank line a bit by closing the valve briefly while emptying the grey tank (either one), so the grey water backs up toward the black tank, then open the valve again.
Dave, that's a great idea. On ours, though, I'd have to crawl under the kitchen slide to get to it.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

That just kind of depends on model. Keystone has plumbed them all over the place. In my rig it goes into the gray tank, in some it goes directly into the main drain, while a few even have it going into the kitchen grey tank. Doing laundry is definitely a know your rig sort of thing.
Dick, if using a washer that extra valve needs to be open. Our washer drains to the main dump pipe but, regardless where it drains to, if that end valve is closed then the water is going into whichever tank has an open valve. If none are open, then it's not going to drain or is going to overflow the drain pipe in the washer compartment.