Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
JacknBetsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7632
Propane Tank Problem?

We went winter (10 degrees) camping over the weekend with 2 full propane tanks. Saturday morning we decided to top off the emptying tank, so we switched the valve to the full tank. After being gone about 8 hours we returned to a cold camper. The blower was working, but the igniter was not lighting. I checked the tank and the valve was red, indicating an empty tank. The tank was not empty but I switched the valve to the newly filled tank and the camper warmed up. Was the problem caused by allowing the hose to hang empty at a very cold temperature or could there be another reason the propane did not work? Would frigid temps cause moisture in the lines or the tank? Should I have hooked up the tank immediately and not let the hose hang all day?

JacknBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This happened to me too. I suspect it is the 18lb regulator on the "long propane hose side, passenger side propane tank".

This recently happened to me and I first switched the bottles to make sure the bottle was good, which it was. Marshall Industries who makes the regulator recommends a 30lb regulator, even though Keystone seems to be installing the less expensive 18 lb version. I will replace this first.

If that doesn't work, it could be the autoswitching regulator not switching over even if the switch is moved into the correct position.

Another thing, when doing so, I know to move switches and valves very slowly so as not to cause a sudden rush of propane into the lines which can cause the safety features to shut things down.

I've learned about all this stuff from the MOC membership.

When I get things fixed, I will post my findings. I won't be able to get to this for some time. In the meantime, I swap tanks.

I wish us luck!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
This happened to me the first couple of times that the tanks switched. Apparently if you open the valve quickly after you refill, the internal safety valve can shut off as this is what happens if there is a leak. I have been opening the valve slowly after refilling and have had no further problems.

Barry Redden
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
I had this happen and discovered that by removing the aftermarket gauge on the tanks, the generator fired right up. So if you have installed the easy read type guages that they could be suspect. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
One thing more to check. When I first turn on the propane when we are ready to take the trailer out, I turn the stove on and get it to light with one tank and then switch to the other tank and make sure the stove lights. This purges air from all the gas lines. If you had some air in the second tanks line, the furnace will turn off.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
What Sierra 117 said. I had that problem.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had the same problem several times. Removing that red regulator on the "off" side solved the problem. I tried just replacing that regulator. Twice. Each went bad eventually. So I just got an adapter to replace that regulator. All propane still goes through the main regulator.

The function of that red regulator is to keep the propane tank's safety valve from tripping and shutting off the tank valve. If you remove the red regulator you will need to open that side's tank very slowly so as not to trip the safety valve. Otherwise it thinks the sudden high flow of propane is a leak and it shuts it down. If that happens, turn the tank off for a few minutes, then try again. Our 2001 and 2003 Montanas did not have that extra regulator. I've read that RVIA requires this regulator in this kind of propane setup so Keystone has to install it. But it's not required by law that we keep it there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote