Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2009, 01:46 AM   #21
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Gosh, gotta say the tripod worked for us, VERY well. Huge difference between tripod and none.

BUT, Al got the JT's and the tripod is now gone.

It is heavy, takes up a lot of room.

But, it did work FOR US!

Worst purchase, hmmmmm, I'll get back to you if I can think of one. (on the first cup of jo here! )

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #22
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
Wow - I think I'll check ebay and see if I can get a good deal on a tripod ! I saw the comment on not seeing MY reply to my own question. Thing is , we got a lot of stuff for Christmas for the rv and sice we haven't even used the monster yet, we have no experience with anything to speak of. I'm sure I will contribute because I'm sure I'll make a stupid purchase , given enough time. My wife assures me of this.

I do know one thing- buying the Montana was the Smartest thing I've done in a long time ! Our entire attitude has changed and every place and activity we think of get's considered for a " destination investigation ".

Certainly there's someone out there that bought RV radar reflectors or Subsonic noise bafflers or some such thing ?? Let's hear about it !
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #23
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The King Pin stabilzer didn't work for us, I think I gave it to someone. We use nothing except the 6 hydraulic jacks. I do use the basic rubber wheel chocks for hooking up. I don have the Roto/Choks but don't use them any longer. I finally discovered that you don't really need a lot of those neat looking things. But I made the mistake of seeing others with all those neat gadgets and though I needed them, that was a mistake. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

The King Pin stabilzer didn't work for us, I think I gave it to someone. We use nothing except the 6 hydraulic jacks. I do use the basic rubber wheel chocks for hooking up. I don have the Roto/Choks but don't use them any longer. I finally discovered that you don't really need a lot of those neat looking things. But I made the mistake of seeing others with all those neat gadgets and though I needed them, that was a mistake. GBY....
I'm curious. "6 hydraulic jacks?" Is it something you had addedd?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #25
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
ols1932, this is a option that came with our 5th wheel (SOB), its called level up side to side leveling. Its made by Lippert and is similar to the Big Foot system. We had the system on our 2009 model but the system now is a upgrade from the Genration one. You can get it with a remote system also. I didn't get the remote, but it can be added at anytime. The landing gear is set down first to remove the Truck or you can leave it hooked up but the other 4 jacks two in front of the front axle and two in the rear of the rear axle. The four rear jacks are for side to side leveling. I can raise the entire 5th wheel off the ground, great for changing tires. We have no need for leveling blocks or Roto/Choks. When setting up I take more pressure off the tires and suspension which takes more of the movement out of the 5er. Lippert is installing it on other brands also. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #26
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hey SuperDave, since you got a lot of stuff as you bought your rig it might be fun for you to list these items and we can comment on which ones you like, love or be annoyed with.

I have a tripod and I'm okay with it, but it's a pain to store and heavy to use under the overhang and overall it only helps a little bit. However, DW loves ANYTHING that helps with stopping any movement. Obviously I am the minority, but I'll continue to use it. I wish I had a better system for the rear of the rig, because the OEM stabilizers are not that good. An automatic stabilization system is on the long list of wanna-haves but until then I drag out the tripod.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #27
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
#1. Central vacuume. Useless for sucking up Golden Retriever fur. We use a Dyson.

#2. LED Lighting. When we're boondocking it's better to use portable flourescents. The LED's are SUCH a weird color!

#3. A cover. Used it twice and decided it wasn't worth the risk of falling off & breaking my neck.

Call me crazy, but I still use the tripod in addition to JT Stabalizers. I swear I can feel the difference.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #28
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

This may be a little off the subject but I would like to comment on the movement in our camper. We use the wheel chocks that lock in between the tires. I can say that using them is probably the greatest thing we’ve ever done to eliminate any wiggle in the trailer. We don’t have the front stabilizers and I’m not using a tripod, although I know it has some benefit to it. We chock the wheels, level it up with the front jacks, lower the standard stabilizers jacks in the back and hardly notice anything at all. Maybe we’re somewhat used to it but even with the washer running it isn’t bad. Also concerning the washer it was a big help to eliminate vibration by simply bolting it to the floor. We used the floor clips which Splendide offered.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #29
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Superdave, We are like you in the haven't used cat. but we are going on all most two years. So, I'd have to say (at least for the time being) our most stupid purchase would have to be the whole dang RV. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #30
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Superdave, Just kidding around with our last post, true we have not used it but once, but not from the lack of wanting too. I work 12hr + a day, wife had a scare with colon cancer and our 5yr old grandson lives with us and he's one over active child. Anyway I can't think of 1 dumb thing we've bought, mainy due to the weath of experiance on this forum that is willing to share. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #31
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I like the tripod, I think it helps.
I even use it when at the storage lot with a lock on it.
It locks the pin, it would slow down a thief.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #32
Superdave
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6291
LOL on the 2 years and not used it yet post! I was going to show it to the wife to prove there was someone more dysfuntional than myself ! Should have know it was too good to be true. Today I'm taking the stupid sewer boom off of the new trailer so I can put a longer pvc pipe in its place to hold a 15 foot Rhino hose. Will also need to cut some of the flexible hose cover so that the Rhino can actually make the bend. This sewer boom is STUPID ! Close to being usable, but close don't get it in a crap shoot !
Superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #33
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
My tripod stabilizer is one of the BETTER things I have bought. For me, I can certainly tell when I don't use it. As someome mentioned, makes a great deterent to RV theft. No bother at all hauling it. I just put in the pickup box and doesnt take up any room. Lightweight and takes no time to set up. Dumbest thing I bought would be magnetic propane guage. JMO
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #34
bobneal
Established Member

M.O.C. #5308
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nailbender

JT's Wireless Digital Level,The thing works, but the batteries only last for a couple of months and have to be replaced every time we use it. I can level it just a good with a $3.00 level.
Agree. its a piece of junk.
bobneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #35
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Weekenders

My tripod stabilizer is one of the BETTER things I have bought. For me, I can certainly tell when I don't use it.
Same here, I put it up if staying in one place more than one night. Maybe those who can't see any difference don't put enough pin weight on it. I crank it up as tight as I can get it by hand, then bump the "landing gear up" switch once or twice.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #36
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I also like the tripod. Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I like the idea that the overhang is suported. The washer/dryer is in the front of the rig and it does help with movement. One thing no one has mentioned, with the tripod in place, you can't hit your head on the hitch (don't ask me how I know ).
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #37
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

I also like the tripod. Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I like the idea that the overhang is suspended. The washer/dryer is in the front of the rig and it does help with movement. One thing no one has mentioned, with the tripod in place, you can't hit your head on the hitch (don't ask me how I know ).

I 2nd that!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:40 AM   #38
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

One thing no one has mentioned, with the tripod in place, you can't hit your head on the hitch (don't ask me how I know ).
I bet you could if you tried really hard!!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #39
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Tom,
Good point
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #40
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Jim, you seem like a man that would use his head.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote