Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Air Admitance Valves

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?
Thats what I said when I finally located the cause of a really rotten smell inside the trailer.
This is what it looks like:

[img][/img]

Apparantly in Keystones quest to lower the cost of the RV they do not vent every sink trap to the outside and instead use this little gizmo. Pretty invisible unless it doesn't work.
I blamed poor DW for not turning on the fantastic vent in the bathroom after doing her business and the dogs for hiding their business.
If you get a foul smell inside you can pretty much determine that this is the cause by opening the doors under the sinks and sticking your nose in there. If it almost knocks you over you have found the problem. Apparantly they have only started to use this method of venting so owners of the older trailers should be OK.
They are available at Lowes and Home Depot as they are used in traditional houses also.

kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
Otherwise known as an "island vent" used where a normal venting isn't possible such as where you have a plumbing fixture like a sink and no walls to the ceiling. Should be a one way vent or air in but not out. If your getting sewer gas from it, it's failed imo. Good luck.
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You just need to replace it and it won't be hard, every hardware and box store will stock them. That part is found in many sticks and bricks and a good number of businesses especially restaurants. Sniperduce is exactly correct on it's use and function. Many times when remodeling takes place, kitchens are designed with an island sink etc the only choice is to use one of these or have the water not want to go down the drain.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
They are also called a pro vent. Used where you can't vent properly to the outside.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
Easy to replace. Your spring or gasket in it isn't operating correctly. Easier to replace then to try and fix.
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Spray that flap with silicone spray, knock the side with a screwdriver handle and it should work fine.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tfthorp

Easy to replace. Your spring or gasket in it isn't operating correctly. Easier to replace then to try and fix.
Looking inside there is no spring to hold the rubber disk in the closed position. It does close under slight pressure applied by me puffing into it after I cleaned it throughly. Notice I said cleaned throughly!
Must have been manufactured in China.
Replaced both with ones that have a spring inside.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Kieth, the pro vent pictured is about as cheap as they come and most plumbing codes won't allow the pro vent. I run a plumbing wholesale company and while our local code does not allow the version pictured , they typical overlook the code and allow its use for a single sink. The cheaper Pro Vents fail constancely and I sell a ton. Oatey Mfg markets a very good unit called Sure Vent and there is always the old faithfully original Sutdor Vent. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FLSTS03

Kieth, the pro vent pictured is about as cheap as they come and most plumbing codes won't allow the pro vent. I run a plumbing wholesale company and while our local code does not allow the version pictured , they typical overlook the code and allow its use for a single sink. The cheaper Pro Vents fail constancely and I sell a ton. Oatey Mfg markets a very good unit called Sure Vent and there is always the old faithfully original Sutdor Vent. Steve
Kinda figured Keystone wouldn't opt for the higher quality manufacturer on a component that is hidden. I did check out the Oatey you mentioned but they only had it in the 2 inch version. I went with the studor make which was much better quality then the crap they put in. Thanks for your input.