Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Mayberry
Established Member

M.O.C. #10223
Purchasing

Hi all.....we are in the process of buying our 1st 5th wheel...we had a Jayco pull type awhile back but now have decided a 5th wheel is
what we want to snowbird in.....We have looked at a lot of brands and have decided on the Montana....looking mostly at the 3455SA...but in reading all of your posts see that a lot of u own 3400RL......Now if we could just feel comfortable on a 'good' price....always afraid we may get a better deal somewhere else....I think this decision is extremely difficult and could use a word or 2 on dealing w/the dealer.....

Thanks All.....here we come South TEXAS!

Vic/Bob

Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Bob & Vicki

Welcome to the MOC forum, we don't have a 3400, but there is lots on here that do, and will be willing to help out.

I see you are from Fremont Ne. I have a brother in Fremont, and we are from Osmond Ne. and there are two other members from Ne also on here.

Good luck on your search for your new purchase.

Larry & LaVonne
Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Mayberry
Established Member

M.O.C. #10223
Thank you Hummels for posting! I wrote you an email but don't know if it went....
What dealership did u buy your Montana from?

Thanks
Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Montana is the most popular 5th wheel in the country...the 3400RL is the most popular model Montana. However, you will be the ones using it, so get the one YOU like best.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
"Welcome to the Best Darned Forum on the WWW! I would suggest you spend several hours in each model before making a decision. We own the 3400 and love it. It suits our style perfectly, however, having said that, you will probably have a different style in mind. "Play House" in each model to see what suits your style better. Pricing should be about 30% less than MSRP. Many dealers will match an existing price. If we were keeping a stick built house, I would look for a dealer with a great, or good, reputation for warranty work and general repairs. Anyone can sell a 5th wheel, but it takes a professional to maintain it.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Phil gives good advise about Play House in each model. There is no perfect RV if you can get 80% of the things you want in it you have done good. If you shop around you can obtain 30% off.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hi Bob and Vicki! Welcome to the MOC Forum and becoming a Montana owner! We live in Omaha but own property just southwest of you in Cedar Bluffs! We own a 2004 2980RL Montana. We purchased it from a private owner but it was like new when we got it. We are one of the others that are on this website regularly from Nebraska, Larry and LaVonne(Cruzin 2) have mentioned in their reply! If you have any questions please feel free to email or PM us and we'll help you out any way we can!
Ron/ Mary
AKA-- rondo
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #8
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Welcome to the MOC. If you want to shop around for price, there are several of us that bought ,and traveled out of state to purchase a Montana. My local dealer here in Utah could not come close to what I paid for my 2008 3400RL in Indiana. That being said if you need some dealer names let us know, for me it paid to shop around. Yes the 3400 is a popular model, but they all have certain things that attract people. Good luck with your search.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Bob and Vicki,

The two models you are considering are two of many great floor plans. While we have a 3400 we also like the 3455 with the private bath.

Do your homework, look at all the features until your eyes hurt on what each model offers. Consider storage, space if you are snobirding.
Look at kingpin weight for towing concerns and then settle on a few dealers you can negotiate with. Price will become important once you are ready to make your actual purchase. Be deliberate and patient.

We wish you both well on an exciting time.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
kcaravelli
Established Member

M.O.C. #11481
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Welcome to the MOC. If you want to shop around for price, there are several of us that bought ,and traveled out of state to purchase a Montana. My local dealer here in Utah could not come close to what I paid for my 2008 3400RL in Indiana. That being said if you need some dealer names let us know, for me it paid to shop around. Yes the 3400 is a popular model, but they all have certain things that attract people. Good luck with your search.
Interesting to read this. I just put a bid on a unit in NY. There is a small dealer there with a repo we would like to get our hands on. We have agreed on price but getting it back to Seattle is another matter. I can't go get it as we both work full time. Shipping by train is too expensive and I'm still checking on other methods. I may be cost prohibitive to purchase it. This model is a 2009 in the low 30s, we just saw one sell today here at Camping World listed for 52k, not sure what the selling price was.
The REAL Reason we want one from out if state is because we are full-timers and almost nobody back here in Seattle orders their rigs with Dual Pane windows which we insist on for the benefits dealing with condensation. Anyway..still working on it.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I narrowed it down to 3400, 3750, and 3455. Went to dealers lot and spent 1/2 day comparing and settled on 3455. We prefer the computer desk at door, and the private bath. We spent the 2nd 1/2 of the day in the 3455 playing house. We are very happy. Of course to each his own. 30% is good, but don't let just afew dollars keep you from your favorite coach. Todays market is pro buyer. I'd be surprised to find a dealer who wouldn't get close. Yet I reccommend buying from a reputable dealer, it is the best beginning to a wonderful experience. We also traded in a Jayco tag along.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Keith....sent you a PM.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote