Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2022, 09:33 PM   #1
BobnLee
Established Member

M.O.C. #27342
Hot water valve

Hello all i have s2014 Montana 355re. Check valve on hot water not working how does one access the tank to change it out hot water tank by pass not working and antifreeze coming out hwt. Thanks folks

BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:30 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I know nothing about your model. But locate the outside location of the water heater and then figure out if you can access it by removing the back wall in the pass through compartment or if you have to get at it from inside (in/under a cabinet, behind a wall, etc.). The check valve is on the rear (inside end of the water heater) so access to it is essential.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:09 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have a 3130re. There is a panel in the pantry under the bottom shelf. Behind it is the water heater. Maybe you have something similar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater inside.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	13397  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:50 AM   #4
John and Barbara
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23309
Antifreeze should come through the hot water faucet when in By pass. This allows for freeze protection. Antifreeze should not enter Hot water tank. Make sure before tearing things apart.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #5
BobnLee
Established Member

M.O.C. #27342
Yes thanks for responding. It is no doubt the check valve. I changed it out in our last trailer but this one is harder to access. When i turn the little by pass to winterize it just doesnt bypass heater
Old 10-14-2022, 08:16 PM   #6
BobnLee
Established Member

M.O.C. #27342
Thankyou John and Barbara. I knew it was the check valve but this is the first trailer with the wet compartment.. After studying the set up I removed all the screws holding the plastic wall or cover to access the heater. The water pump was right behind it back in operation. I left most of the screws out so i can check for leaks in the spring. Check valve on the winterize also had to be replaced. Little trade secret if you turn the screen around with cone in it will work seems its common problem. Must put a spare one or two in the tool box. Thanks everyone for your help