Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2015, 04:37 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Another Level Up Question

Okay, I read the instructions, started and then chickened out. When hooking back up, it says to hit the on/off button and then hit the left/right buttons to return to hitch position. The front legs went up without raising the back jacks. I got worried and stopped it and did it manually. As I think about it, that shouldn't be a problem, since the front jacks also support the whole front of the rig. Problem or not? Second question - brake check. After a few early near misses and watching a camper fall on a truck, we routinely do brake checks. Do you auto retract, then put the front jacks back down? Thanks for the replies in advance.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I have never used the feature that is supposed to return the pin box to the height it was when un-hitching. I hit the retract button, push the rear button to raise all the rear legs, then hit the retract button to turn off retract, then raise the front to about where I think the pin box is needed to back in. Never thought the height would be close enough to not need a final adjustment before hitching up. After hitching, I usually put the truck in forward and just do a gentle tug, but with our hitch, prior to lifting the front jacks, I visually check the wrap around mechanism when I connect the electric cable, then close the tailgate. Then raise the front jacks and then connect the safety cable. I then turn on the four way flashers and do my walk around to check lights and everything secured.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:18 AM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
rames14: We are new to the level-up system, as we have only had our new 2014 for about three weeks now, but as I was told during the PDI by the service tech I hit the on/off button and then hit the left/right buttons to return to hitch position, and the front legs lifted the front of the 5er without raising the back jacks. I too was worried because on our 2007 3400RL we never would leave the back stabilizers down when lifting the front landing gear without expecting some sort of damage. But everything works as explained by the service tech with the level-up system. I have even lifted the tires off the ground with it. So far I love the level-up system.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:22 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In auto mode when you unhook. The system remembers were you left the hitch in terms of height. When hooking hitting the left right switch at the same t ime returns the hitch to that position. If you do anything in manual mode it will not do that. Yes the front legs lift first then the rear.We only ise the auto mode when hooking and unhooking. It works perfect.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks, just got scared with the front raising with the other legs still down. I will now use the automatic features.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
The level up system used to intimidate me, but you get used to doing those things. I got much more comfortable after listening to the Lipert guys at the rally
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I used it all the time on my Montana, the one I have now needs to be re calibrated, it raises about 4 inches too high every time. If level causes front to go up past unhook height, it will not lower to unhook height. It won't break, play with it.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ron when the front legs go down it takes pressure off the back two jacks. If you are ever leveled where the tires are off the ground on one side you want to manual retract the back two before you hit the left and right button. I bent a rear jack by not doing that. John Kohl was with me when it happen and when he talked to Lippert they told him why it happen.

1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:24 PM   #9
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Mudchief,

I do most of the adjustments manually but sometimes use auto level. Would you please explain the your comment about bending one of the pistons. If auto level results in the wheels off the ground on one side, are you saying that you must retract the back ones prior to any further changes to the others when getting ready to hitch up? Thanks
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Petmoose after the auto level does it's job and when it is done if the wheels on one side are off the ground with the rams extended you need to lower the back ones manually before you hit the buttons to make the unit go back to the hook up position. What happens is when the front jacks go down it lifts the jacks in front of the tires and removes fluid from the back two allowing them to retract a little. There is a problem when the jacks are near full extension that the system does not allow the pressure to the back two unit to release. Then when you hook up to your unit the front 4 jacks are lifted by the truck putting all the weight on the back units and the weight of the truck hooking up pushes the trailer back a little bending the back jacks.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
There are three separate hydraulic circuits on the Levelup system. The front two jacks,(the ones you use to lift the front of the rig off the TV), are one circuit. The left side center and rear jacks are another separate circuit and the right center and rear jacks are the third circuit. With all the jacks down, and you raise the front of the rig with the front jacks, the fluid transfers from the rear jacks to the center jacks on both sides, and if lowering the front of the rig, the fluid transfers in the other direction. The system, when leveling, has to level from one side to the other, the left or right systems extend which causes the fluid to transfer in the front two jacks from one side to the other. No single jack operates independently of any others. Yes, if a jack for some reason is extended to it's limit, there could be damage, but you would have to be on an extremely un-level location to do that.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:58 AM   #12
cocktails
Established Member

M.O.C. #13007
Ron and Terri, I had the same concern. Then I saw a fellow camper when departing lift the rear jacks manually and then do the L/R to return to hitch position. This makes the most sense to me because only the front jacks are down when unhitching.
I have done it both ways and find it much more accurate when raising the rears first.
cocktails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #13
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I raise the rears first, then push right and left at same time. This brings the hith to the level where it lifted off the hitch. I then drop the pin about 2 inches. Now,when the truck is back up, the pin and hitch will lock. That mirror thing I never use?. Look in my rear view mirror,and align hitch to pin..whamo,hooked up.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #14
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Thanks Mudchief and Rorhmann for your explanations. I guess I have been lucky because I normally manually raise the jacks, as even as possible, but do use auto level when initially setting up. I have never tried to have it auto return to the hook up height. I feel more comfortable doing it manually. I will make sure that I take the weight off the rear first. I have had 5 of these jams replaced due to leakage. I am on my third on the front passenger side.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote