Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2006, 03:56 AM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Looking at montanas

We are looking at buying a new Montana. One thing we noticed was the model number does't match the length of the rv, so now you look at a 2955 and it is really a 32ft. Also is there any thing we should look for when buying.

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
You are exactly correct about the fact that model numbers do not indicate length except relative to other Montana model numbers--and that not precisely.

Since you mention the 2955, let me respond by saying that this particular model suits us better than any other, but that is to say that your choice depends entirely upon your life style, intended use, and preference. I prefer to tow and park the smaller model and it has plenty of room for us. We are not, and never will be, full timers. We like to take trips, many of short duration, on the spur of the moment. We have storage that suits this size RV. Also towing with a 2500 Duramax/Allison leaves me plenty of "rating" to spare.

We are right now on a trip to Colorado, enjoying the changing aspen leaves and will enjoy the elk "bugeling" at Estes Park in a few days.
http://dwilliamson.com/Aspens/Page.html

Would I recommend the 2255??? Yes, for someone whose tastes, preference, and use are exactly like mine. That is to say nothing negative about the choices that are appropriate for others.

David and Shirley -- East Texas
2955 RL Montana
Chevrolet Duramax 2500 Allison Trans
http://www.dwilliamson.com/mont.jpg

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
hookman

Welcome to the forum, look around and enjoy the reading! Think you will learn a lot.

Go to HOME at the top of the page here, and snoop around. I think RV Related links. Glenn has done an outstanding job on these pages and there is so much stuff and info in there you could read for a few days! Look for PDI!!! information!

Yep, rig numbers do not reflect the length of the rig, take a long tape rule with you on shopping sprees!

Have fun, shopping is soooooo much fun.

Good luck in your choice and enjoy the new rig, no matter which one ya choose!

Carol

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:21 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Padre said it all well. We prefer a larger model. We are and will be fulltiming. Our 3670 RL gives us a sense of openness with kitchen on the side so that (with the slides out) we have a very large room effect with windows all around. Everyone will justify their choice (which is as it should be) but as Padre said, the unit you buy needs to fit your needs and the life style you expect to employ.

If you intend to buy new, take the time to explore the archives of this Forum. There are many who have weathered the angst of decision making until purchase. The Forum is a good log of their trek. They will also help you in the process of taking delivery after the unit arrives.

If you choose to look at some preowned, but lightly enjoyed, then make that known. Those of us who chose to go that route can help. My purchase was a Big Sky model that was 18 months old and in pristine condition at a price less than that of a regular Montana with loads of extras and a transfereable extended warranty. The truck was included at 1/2 price too. Tragedy or a change of heart can make outstanding units available at money saving prices.

Hope you enjoy the search. Happy RVing....

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

Go to Top of Page

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:11 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The model number/ size thing is not specific to keystone /Montana. Take your tape measure. The actual length of the 3400 is 39 feet 1 inch. The model that folks have suit their specific needs.Find the model that suits your needs

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have had our 2955RL exactly 3 years today. We purchased it at an RV show in Harrisburg PA on Sept 14th 2003. We are full timers and the 2955RL has suited our needs very well. The only problem we had was a shower door that dragged at the bottom when the door was opened. After a lot of adjusting of the door we realized that the one corner of the enclosure was not tight to the wall. Tightened the screw and haven't had a problem since.

I should point out that the 32', as listed, is not quite correct either. Our 2955 is 34' 3" from the nose to the ladder.

OH yeah! Welcome to the MOC Family.

Gots any more questions or comments do not be afraid to jump in.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We where thinking about the second a/c and a fireplace when we order the 5'er. We camp all year and are planning to go south when we retire
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I highly recommend the 2nd a/c. While the temps this summer reached well over 105 degrees, the inside of my coach was a cool 72. The only thing I suggest when it comes to the 2nd a/c is get a low profile model. Sure helps with those over head obstacles.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Hookman: Welcome to the forum. We had a 2955RL from Feb. '03 until Mar. of this year. pulled it almost 50,000 miles with first an '01 Dodge 2500 then with the truck on my profile. Only had one instance of trouble and that was the galley valve comming open. Fixed that and a good unit after. We sold the 2955 in Feb of this year and now have a 3000RK. Jeanne just wanted something a little bigger.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:10 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

We where thinking about the second a/c and a fireplace when we order the 5'er. We camp all year and are planning to go south when we retire
I personally think the Fireplace is a waste of good storage area and money. For us a ceramic heater does the same job for a lot less money and can be stuck in the basement when not in use.

The 2nd AC is another story. When we got our 2955 the second AC was not an option. We spent from July 17th to Sept 10th in Florida. The heat and humidity was terrible. Temps in the high 90s everyday and the humidity was unbearable. The single AC worked it's butt off but the lowest we could get the temp during the day was 77 degrees. Not sure what the second AC may have been able to get it down to but the next rig we get will have the second AC.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:39 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...tures10088.jpg

Just to give another opinion here is a picture of the fireplace I installed in my 2955RL.

The little cupboard that used to be there was only 8 inches deep and not very good storage.
The ambiance that the fireplace gives is something we both enjoy more than we ever thought and the heat is right where you want it on a cool morning. It is very quiet and it is a Dimplex unit, by far the most realistic flame I have seen in an electric fireplace.

Also in the picture is the handrail I installed before even using the unit. I believe that Keystone should install this at the factory. Stair falls are a major safety hazard for old folks and young folks too. Most cities will not let you move into your new home without stair rails in place. The RV industry is in the dark ages on this issue.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:39 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The 2nd A/C is a good choice.We had one installed, the low profile, although we have not had much use for it yet it can get very uncomfortable in a camper when the heat and humidity builds up. We agree with Glenn on the fireplace. It is of course a personal choice.They are pretty and there is the ambiance.. However..storage in a camper of any size is always a prime consideration depending on how much time we live in it.Everything in a camper is give and take...We gave up the fireplace for storage and there is a lot of it in that hole (3400) We purchased a Kenwood Electric oil filled radiator at Home depot 69.00. It is quiet, Draws 9.62 amps on high setting.It is not pretty like the fireplace and has zero ambiance but puts out plenty of heat.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:18 AM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I agree with Don on the fireplace. At first we thought it was silly to have a fireplace in an RV. However, our unit (off the lot) had it and we use it constantly. Great for chilly mornings and evenings plus it is pretty. We run it if it not too cold because it doesn't make noise like the furnance does. Doesn't interfere with watching TV. We have plenty of storage room in our 3400.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:41 AM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I can only copy Sue's post. I love my fireplace and would order it again in my next coach. There is so much storage in the 3400RL, not having one cabinet has no effect on me. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #15
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293

I agree! I love campfires when I'm able to be outside, but in the dead of the winter I love a fireplace, (especially around the holidays), which I had at my home before full-timing. I'm very glad I decided on that option. I have all kinds of storage left inside my unit, so space isn't a concern, regardless I can't store too much more in my unit because I'm too close to the GVWR. So I have many empty overhead cabinets in the kitchen and den. Take your time a figure out what is "more" important to you. You wouldn't buy the same floor plan or model home someone else would or options availble in new homes so pick and choose what you and wife would like and go with it. For myself, anytime I go back and forth about getting something or not...I rather buy it and not need it than to need it and not have and end up paying more in most cases after the fact to have it installed. If the option is not a weight issue for you then you might consider getting the options you like. Good Luck! Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Our fireplace has been very functional and has saved us money on our propane so far - CGs have not charged us for our electric to this point. Many do, but many of those are in "warm weather" CGs, when electric heat is not used that much...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:35 AM   #17
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
I agree with Don. Out of all the options in our Monty, I LOVE the fireplace. It wasn't factory, but our dealer installed it for us and at a huge savings.

I also agree that if you can, the 2nd A/C is a great idea. I believe it is great for a back up. Our dogs are inside and if we lost the A/C in extreme heat, my pooches would be in big trouble! We have had one instance of our unit freezing up; not unheard of in these units (tons of threads on this issue). We experienced 115 degree days here in San Bernardino earlier in August and the A/C was working over time. The temp inside the monty was 82 in this extreme heat. That is tolerable to us, probably not to others. We just this week purchased the second a/c and Steve plans on installing it on Sunday.

We thought about purchasing a wireless temperature and phone alarm package. It alerts you via your cell phone when the temp in your camper gets above a certain set point. Can call up to nine phones or pagers. Also has smoke, water, motion and audio sensors. Web site is www.tiptemp.com Cost is around $200, no monthly charge for the monitoring fee.

We have always said we bought a 37 foot dog kennel that has a bed in it for us. To us its all about the dogs; they are our babies and keeping them happy and safe is a priority. So this week they got a second A/C!

txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #18
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Absolute agreement with most folks on the fireplace....the most used and worthwhile "nice to have" item we have. Just the illusion factor makes it seem 10 degrees warmer when it is running....and the heater function is perfect for the chilly early mornings. It really makes our front living room model a wonderful place to kick back in on those not-so-great rainy days or a football Sunday in the Fall/Winter. We would really miss not having it.

Although we have "survived" quite well with only one A/C, a second A/C is a really great idea, esp if you are going to be traveling in an area of high temps and/or humidity. As much for humidity control as for temperature control....getting some of the moisture out of the air is a big help. If I do any further upgrades on the Monty, it will be a include a second A/C.

Best to all,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #19
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Tara (I love your name BTW), I had to LOL when I read your post as we can SO relate the needs of furkidz! What breed do you have?? We have three Shih Tzu and we have continued to upgrade over the years, RV and truck, "for the furkidz' sake".

One of my concerns, like yours, is power failure with the A/C shutting down when we might find we need to leave our furkidz when we do live full-time in an RV. We have never left them in our TT, other than visiting another camp site in a CG, but I am sure there will be times when full-timing the need will arise. I didn't even know anything existed like the link you posted. Thanks so much for sharing!
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #20
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Wannabe,
We also have an arrangement with the people who live next to us. If there is a power failure that doesn't resolve quickly (during high demand time, the power can go out several times a day here in CA) they will call Steve on his cell. He is working at CW just 3 miles away. That way he could run home emergently and check the situation. The neighbors are just awesome. We look out for one another here; I think most campgrounds are this way. We have 3 pets: Gus, the 12 year old golden retriever, Lizzy Lou, the 4 year old springer spaniel, and one mean 7-8 year old kitty who rules the roost. They have transitioned beautifully from being outdoor, bird hunting, Montana dogs to lazy, campground living, leashed, city walking, Califorinia pooches. They fortunatley have done better than their owners getting used to the ciy life!
Patodonn, I agree with you 100% on the front living model and the fireplace. We feel the same.
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote