Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
Black Tank Cleaning

Our 2005 Mountaineer 32RLS is presently in for warranty work for many problems. One is the Black Tank. Problem: each time I attempt to clean the tank, I do so, by running clean water into the tank via the commode. Once I see that the tank is full, I go out and open the valve. Well when performing this task I get a considerable amount of clean water running out from under the trailer around the Black Tank area. A Tech at Fun Time RV stated that one should not fill the tank with the release valve closed. Doesn't make sense to me. How will one get the tank cleaned if the release valve is open? Anyone care to comment or share their experience. Thanks

Montana_1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
he is wrong, been doing that for years..how else would you flush out the tank..If you are new at this don't forget to back flush the tank. Don't understand the clean water running out from around the tank...is your floor wet around the commode ? Perhaps a leak around the commode??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
I been dumping and then filling with fresh water then dumping again as you do, on all our TT's for 30 years now. Never had a problem as you describe.

One should never dump a tank that is less than 1/2 to 3/4 full anyway. The Tech must have mis-understood. We can only hope.

When checking a House for good sink drains the inspectors fill the sinks up full then release the water to check for leaks under the sink. This sounds like your problem. I think you have a leak in the plumbing around the tank.

Hope this helps
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
Thanks for the response. I have only been at this for 6 years and have never encountered this problem before. I didn't really believe the Tech via the service writer. We're not finished with the subject. This unit was put in service on August 1, 2004 and this is the third time it has been in the shop. Not a happy camper.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
If I am reading you post correctly you are saying the water is coming from the black tank under the trailer. If that is the case you may have a hole in the tank somewhere. You should be able to fill the tank all the way without any leaking anywhere as long as it is below where the toilet sets on the seal.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:48 AM   #6
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
ronstan: That is exactly what is happening. I fill to the point I can see water in the commode. No leaks inside the trailer. Clean water is pouring out from under the trailer around the Black Tank. I Spoke with the Service Writer this morning and he related a long, drawn out procedure given to him by the tech. My thoughts were that the leak and there is one, is at the top of the tank. Either in the tank itself or at the connection (s.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Since it is still under warranty give the service manager a long drawn out talk about how they need to fix this or you will call keystone Montana. It is probably a lot of work to get the tank down but that is tough. Thats what they get paid for. Good luck
Old 04-03-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
Thanks for the response. I went up yesterday and picked up the unit. I did have a visit with the service manager. He was made aware of the problem by the service writer and looked into the matter. It has been repaired. Had a loose pipe connection.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Great news Bobby. I'm glad you've got that behind you.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:01 AM   #10
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
At least it wasn't all that bad. Still it shouldn't have happened.