Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Strange goings on with switches

OK, at least no tires blew on this trip, so now I am 1 for 3 on the last three trips! Gotta look at the bright side. But of course, something has to go wrong or it wouldn't be RVing, right? As we broke camp this weekend and I was raising the nose to hitch up, the landing gear motor sounded like it was straining a good bit and definitely got very slow. Then it sounded almost like when you turn over an engine with a weak battery and get that "clicking" noise. So I stopped raising the nose. Luckily the truck fit under (barely) so we hitched up and drove home. When I got home the slides would not go out using the inside "Glide Room" rocker switch. Then I went outside and tried to lower the gear using the rocker switch and it was dead too. I then tried using the remote and the slides and LG operate fine using the remote only. So that tells me it isn't a fuse or breaker, right? This was all on battery power (except I was still plugged in at the campground when hooking up).

So is there a common breaker that would control the LG rocker switch outside and the slide room rocker switch inside? All the rest of the switches on both panels still work fine. Very odd. Help! Thanks!

akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you check the search function you'll see that you are not alone. There is a controller (not the right term) that's function is to prevent the inside switch and the remote being activated at the same time. When this malfunctions many folks have just moved a wire (I believe changing the ground) and that seems to fix the problem. Pictures have been posted as to what to do. I'm sure someone who's done it will be along with a direct link.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Thanks Dick. I saw the thread with the pics, but no one seemed to have problems with the slide outs too. However, I will try moving the ground wire and see what happens. Thanks!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

That “controller” is actually the receiver for the remote.

Look closely at it. The ground wire for this unit is fastened to the steel frame not far from it.

This gets loose and results in strange behavior.

Mine finally went up in smoke so I just replaced it with a fuse panel and did away with the remote system all together.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I had a similar problem and had to move both wires
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote