Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
A first experience

Today I had my first maintenance with the LevelUp system for working on wheels and axles. Being able to jack the rig up with the LevelUp system made the job exponentially easier and faster than using jacks and jack stands and all the blocks of wood, etc., I formerly used when doing shackles and wet bolts. Just push a button and up goes the side you are working on. If you need another reason to justify a leveling system, whether LevelUp or Big Foot, ease of wheel, axle, shackle and spring maintenance is it.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I fully agree, just re-balanced the tires on the SOB and my tire man Love the Level Up System. Makes removing the tires very simple. Be careful when replacing the Lug Nuts and don't cross thread them, and don't ask me why?? And don't forget the proper torqing procedures... Happy Trails....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although I fully understand the satisfaction some of you have with your Level Up or Big Foot systems … there’s just no amount of justification that I can personally come up with to go the several thousand dollar install. I’m a little younger, rolling out a couple of floor jacks and some cribbing for a once a year bearing repack “just ain’t no thing to me”. Strategically placing a couple of 2X8”s under the low side tires allows me to show off to others at the campground the knowledge from my trig classes at college. The extra 5 minutes it took me to setup at the campsite allowed me to become “more one with the terrain”. Ha! I’ll stow that money away towards a new boat and maybe someday a new slalom ski! Stiles … I hope you realize most of this is “tounge in cheek” ... as we all are proud of certain additions.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Its different needs for different wants, I respect your decision, but you will get older and things will change. Its takes me less than 5 minutes to level front to rear, and I don't have to back up on wood or plastic. Happy Trails....
Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
If I had the money to spend on a leveling system, there would be no hesitation in having it installed. I try to make financial decisions based on want/need. For now, it's still a want. Maybe someday...
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It will be a while before I can save up enough nickels for a leveling system. Since I don't need a new boat, that's my choice.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I understand what you say and your hesitations. When I got mine, I happened to be in the right place at the right time. I had a damaged landing gear assembly and needed significant work. I happened on the Rally special introductory offer from Lippert. Installed, the price was around half of what the price is now. I was fortunate to say the least.

I cannot help but report the effectiveness of this upgrade. I understand newer models will come with this system in the future with some making that choice now. Broader usage may serve to alleviate pricing going forward.

I think fifth wheels are better to pull than travel trailers, but there are a bunch of TTs going down the road. In fact, there are plenty of pop-up campers around, but I don't want to go back to them. Now that I have an automatic leveling system I don't want to go back. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy my RVing or camping experience at earlier stages. You just do whatever you do within the framework of your budget and opportunity. It is all good.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Amen, Stiles
We've added several nice to have features to our Monty. Didn't need too, but we wanted the added convenience of these features, I.E. Level-Up, Automatic Sat Dish, Combo Washer/Dryer, second AC, and most recently MOR/ryde IS w/Disk Brakes. We're not Full Timers, but almost. Well be much more time this year in the Monty than the stick house.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The six point leveling system is a 3495 option on my dealers option list.I am old, Everything hurts. This afternoon we had to set up in the mud and rain here in Kentucy and could not find a level spot.My feet are still cold..level up system.....you bet...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
For us it was a choice that we had to weigh and compare. In the end, we decided that we thought it would be a good choice; we have found that it is a good choice.

We enjoy the convenience of one-touch leveling. We also expect to have this 5er for a number of years.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We too have the level up system and for us we feel it was definitely worth the money. Has made setting up so much easier for Jim. Just press the keypad and magic happens...

Once you have it, you wonder how you ever did without it.

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
It's on my list of must-have modifications. Soon as I can put the money together and get back east to have it installed.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
IT sounds great but since I have a 2004 unit, I think I'll wait till I invest in a new unit(maybe they will come as standard equipment by then-- )! We came across a site after we left the Fall Rally and I don't think even the LevelUp system could have leveled this one! We put three 2X8s under one side and got it leveled side to side but didn't have enough 4X4s, 6X6s, or 2X8s to get the front up high enough to level out (I was still 3 degrees out of level according to my bubble level on the side of the unit)! Slept the night with the refrig off cause it was getting dark and raining and like Rich my feet were cold all night. We moved to another site the next morning. The system would be nice however!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have had a few, very few situations were we had to put the plastic blocks under the hydraulic jacks and raise the 5er up and then put some plastic blocks under the tire and raise the jacks and if needed put more blocks under the jacks and do a repeat. We were in a park just North of Tampa, Fla. and the off door side tires were more than 2.5' off the ground. That is the first time I sold a RVer on the Level Up System. I really don't think I will ever be in a position were we can't use the Hydraulic Level Up system..

I do agree the systems are very pricey. I also wouldn't install the system on a older unit. But if you do upgrade I do highly recommend the 6 point Level Up System. As others have said you will never go back to the Electric Jacks. For those who didn't know about the Cambridge that Keystone built only in 2006, the Cambridge had Hydraulic Landing Gear Jacks, and you didn't have to mess with the leg pins to get it level. Hydraulic jack systems isn't new to Keystone. I have said Cambridge was way ahead of the curve. Happy Trails...
Old 10-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Please be careful. Most leveling systems advise against raising the wheels off the ground. Hydraulics can fail, electric motor brake systems can fail, and the results can be death if you are under the unit. I'm just advocating that everyone use some good judgement and stay way from object that "may" fall.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote