Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Tire Rotation

"This is a category for routine maintenance questions and answers. For example, Tire Rotation, Axel Lubrication & other things Keystone recommends being done on a regular basis."
This is the heading for the "Maintenance"
Did a search for Tire Rotation, 5 items came up, but nothing about tire rotation.
The maintenance is the area as stated for tire rotation.
Well, does anyone rotate there tires?
When you rotate, how do you rotate.
Like left front to right rear and right rear to left front and left rear to right right front and right front to left rear?
I know I can be a pain about G614, but I do want to rotate ours before we head out this fall for out 3300 mile trip form NH to AZ.
Thanks
E. Sven

carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Sven, over a 10 year ownership I rotated my tires a couple times on my old fiver. I really do not know if it made any difference. The unit came with 15" General tires, load range "D". They fell apart in no time so I upgraded to 16" load range "E" (brand unknown). They lasted till I traded the trailer in for my Monty. They were rotated at 3 years and six years. Folks tell me it probably wasn't necessary.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I had a tire store tell me to take some of the cupping out by rotating the tires so I do it one a year when I check the brakes and bearing grease. I use the "X" pattern.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Unless you are seeing an unusual wear pattern on the tires ( such as John noted ) there really isn't any reason to rotate trailer tires. All of the tires on a trailer are doing exactly the same thing, rolling free with very little resistance. They don't steer the trailer and they don't push or pull the trailer. If you feel better having them rotated, have them rotated as John did in an X pattern. This method will change direction of rotation and position of all four tires.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Lonnie and John,
Both good points, with the investment of about $1,000, I just wanted to try and get the most out of them.
There is no cupping I can see or feel.
Lonnie, you are right about following and not steering.
It is some different backing a rig with a G614, G rated as apposed to the LT E rated.
When backing up and turning the back end towards a 90 degree turn, the G164 do not have the side flex that the LT's had it takes more power to turn, I thought that I was having the emergency brake away switch come on, but it was OK.
So, when I check the brakes and bearing, yes it is just as easy to rotate the tires in a X.
Thanks again for the comments and feed back.
E. Sven
Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carlson

Lonnie and John,
Both good points, with the investment of about $1,000, I just wanted to try and get the most out of them.
There is no cupping I can see or feel.
Lonnie, you are right about following and not steering.
It is some different backing a rig with a G614, G rated as apposed to the LT E rated.
When backing up and turning the back end towards a 90 degree turn, the G164 do not have the side flex that the LT's had it takes more power to turn, I thought that I was having the emergency brake away switch come on, but it was OK.
So, when I check the brakes and bearing, yes it is just as easy to rotate the tires in a X.
Thanks again for the comments and feed back.
E. Sven
I noticed the same problem when backing up with G614's..the trailer doesn't move the way you want it to.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I rotate mine just to insure even wear. A tire guy told me the outside tires will wear more, so I cross them.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Roy,
I thought there was something wrong with the hitch, the front of the 5th wheel seems to lift up.
But talking to the Goodyear guy, (they do passenger and heavy truck tire) that it is the strength of the sidewall (rubber and steel bans) that does not let the tire roll over.
When I went to buy them, he had me lift a LT (E rated) and the G rated G614, there was a remarkable difference for the same size tire with the G614 weighing more that 50 lbs.
Thanks
E. Sven
Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
E. Sven,
Your right...I noticed when backing two weeks ago, the tires stay vertically upright. The old Missions when backing, you could see the tires bending over on a hard back turn.
When I come back home from a trip, I have to back up a 300 foot driveway that curves on my blind side. Yes, I back up about half of the drive way from my blind side! Lot's of fun.......
But, the G614's make it harder than the Missions.
I guess I have to learn all over? We'll find out next week when I have the opportunity to back up again. LOL

If any of you have trouble backing up...come over to my home & practice here..then you will be a seasoned backer upper!!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Two things about tire rotations.... 1- When using an X pattern whatever side was the outside edge, will still be an outside edge. 2- The tire rotation direction will change for the tires that are crossed.

For my TV the rotation pattern is not a full X pattern. Every 5,000 miles the front axle tires get crossed as they are put in the rear axle. But the Rear axle tires, stay on the same side going forward. (I may have his backwards, but the point is that only half the tires are crossed).This means that the tire rotation direction change occurs mostly every 10,000 miles.

What comments does anyone have on this pattern? Would this be better for a trailer? Are crossing the tires and changing its predominant tire rotation better than leaving it the same side for longer periods better, worse, or doesn't matter? Long ago radials were not supposed to be crossed, but this has been remedied somehow and for some time, and equal size/rating tires can be used on either side (full rotation) except for higher-end tires that have mandatory directional rotation requirements.

I have always wondered about trailer tire rotation but for the reasons Lonnie mentioned (not pushing, not pulling, no steering) haven't rotated them at all. Maybe they should be rotated so that they incur the different weights at the corner no matter how slight. I think turns are the biggest stress for a trailer tire and maybe this is why rotation might provide more wear equality. Or maybe I just won't worry about like I have been up to now.

Lots to ponder anyways... stay safe everyone.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Two things about tire rotations.... 1- When using an X pattern whatever side was the outside edge, will still be an outside edge. 2- The tire rotation direction will change for the tires that are crossed.
Huh? That #1 sort of confuses me. I took outside to mean curbside. Both curbside tires will thus be on the drivers side with the X rotation.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Yes, I did misread your post...

I was referring to the outside 'edge' of a tire. I had a vehicle that was starting to wear bad on the outside edges on one side, then after the problem cause was fixed I rotated the tires in the X pattern and they started wearing great. It was like they corrected themselves.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #13
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Art,
I don't remember what vehicle I had and how long ago it was, but when I rotated tires, the backs came staight forward and the front criss crossed going back.
Lonnie HELP!!
When you have a front wheel drive vehicle (does not relate to anyone hauling a Montana) don't you rotate the tire in a different pattern then a rear wheel drive??
Thanks
E. Sven
Old 08-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
front wheel drive you cross the rear, rear wheel drive cross the front
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Yup, checked the book, the fronts are crossed on my rear wheel drive TV just like Carlson mentioned and 8.1al alluded. 8.1al said it best for front and rear wheel drive vehicles. Glad that was straightened out.

Unfortunately, now we are off topic for the trailer rotations. Like LonnieB said, ain't necessary, so I finally did something right by not doing anything.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If I have the tires off to pack the wheel bearings I will also rotate them, otherwise don't bother. I figure it can't hurt
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The Montana owner's manual says to rotate them every 5,000 miles.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote