Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
EMS

Wondering about the usefulness of an EMS to protect the Mountaineer electrical system... Are they worth the money?? Which is best - permanent installation or "clamp on" to the campground power pole???

jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
EMS?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
Either "electrical management system" or "energy management system". I've seen them ranging from "just a suge protector" to a "smart electrical device" that not only a surge protector, but it will also remove power to the Mountaineer for over (>132VAC) and under (
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:22 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Protection is good, you will get many different approaches to that here on the Forum. Do your research and determine what is best for you, and worth the $$ for your application. I went with a Spike protection unit like the one I wired into my 'Stick house'
It is made by Intermatic. It is simply piggy backed to each of the Buss Bars in my Monte. It has Two Green lights, showing protection on the Two legs of 120 volts, one Red light showing failure of the system. Around $100.00
This topic is a little like the Chevy-Ford-Dodge, or Gasser-Diesel debate. Good luck.
Ozz
See it in my Mod's at Ozz's Mods

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:24 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have the portable one that attaches to the power post and have used it for 2-3 years successfully. Glen uses a kryptonite cable that he wraps around the power post for security. It has tripped a few times. We bought it at Camping World. I can't recommend it over other units but it has worked good for us.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I just got a portable 50A model made by Tech Research from RV Parts Outlet. Regular CW price $399, CW sale price $359, RV Parts Outlet sale price, $275.

(https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newstore/nojava/index.cfm)
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I just won an auction on E-Bay for a NEW intermatic surge Protector. Am also purchasing a Hughes Autoformer (although many wil say its not needed). Will hook autoformer between Montana and surge protector. I am planning on having mine hardwired into unit with appropriate receptacles to disconnect if needed.

My Sister has been camping, rving most of her life (shes 70 now), still out about 6 months a year in her 5th wheel. They have found many CG to be lacking in appropriate power setups. I just want to be on the safe side for my purposes.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote