Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Battery/Charger

This does not pertain to a Montana, but could...pertains to my boat. Upon checking my batteries (2 each 4 D) today, found one a little low, and the other with the plates exposed. I attributed it to being extremely hot for the last few weeks, with the 12v refrig working extra hard. Anyway, turned off all power (A/C and 12v), cleaned the terminals (although not really too bad), covered the plates with distilled water (took over a gallon) and turned on the charger. Had to leave in three hours...the charger was still running. Both batteries and three stage charger are about 2 1/2 years old. The built in meter showed both batteries as fully charged. Did not have my digital multimeter meter with me.

My questions are:

- Is the battery with the plates showing okay?
- Since the charger was still running it occurred to me that maybe it's on the fritz and did not shut off as it should when the battery was charged and has been running ever since...thus burning up all the water...but only in one battery...?

Boats, RVs and airplanes...if it hasn't broken yet, it's about to.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Bert,
Sounds like your boiling the water out? I think the only way to debug this is to measure the current flow...your charger should back down current as your batteries recover charge which is a small increase in voltage detected by charge dropping back to a trickle or pulsed charge. Yes, having plates exposed is bad...they will oxidize and you'll loose 'em if this condition continues. BTW, you might want to check this by pulling the caps off the cells and seeing if the water is bubbling when on charge, btw be very careful as if this is boiling off water then your gonna have extra gases in this compartment so run the fan so it doesn't go BOOM! One battery if lower in voltage will take the charge (draw higher current). Hmmm, boat...like having that truck and Monty in the fancy barn isn't enough!
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Cat -
I be willing to bet it's just early battery failure rather than the charger. The chargers are pretty simple and rely on voltage to regulate. Might throw a voltmeter on and see if your anywhere close to 13.5V. If not, most likely time for a battery.

I can handle boats and RVs breaking, but I hate when airplanes break!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Cat -
I be willing to bet it's just early battery failure rather than the charger. The chargers are pretty simple and rely on voltage to regulate. Might throw a voltmeter on and see if your anywhere close to 13.5V. If not, most likely time for a battery.

I can handle boats and RVs breaking, but I hate when airplanes break!
We just hope they break on the ground!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote