Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Three inexpensive modifications.

This weekend I did 3 little improvements that cost very little.

The wood grill under the steps of my 06 2955RL is the cold air return to the furnace. I removed the grill, put two metal straps horizontal at the back of the opening and cut a cheap filter to fit that opening approximately 23" long by 5 3/8 " high. I can get 3 filters out of one 25" x 16" filter that costs about 2.50. Replace the grill and your done.
Not only will this filter keep the dust out of the furnace inlet, on my model, the Iota convertor is also beside the furnace and the cooling fan on that unit will pull in dust.
I will change this little filter every month on the road.

I also put a little oak coat rack on the wall beside the bed. I bought toggle bolts because that wall is hollow but I was surprized to see that the panelling held the screws very well if you pre drill. If the rack ever gets loose I will use the toggle bolts.

Last and most importantly I put a wooden handrail on the stairs. I used Stanley Brass plated hand rail brackets and I was able to get one solid member on each bracket. The other brass screws held just fine in the panelling and the brackets are very solid. I wanted to buy an oak handrail but Home Depot only sells the oak in long lengths and it is very expensive. They sell fir hand rail by the foot and it only cost me 6.00 bucks. I stained it the oak color of my rig and put 3 coats of varathane on it. It looks fine and the brackets were 4 dollars each so this stair hand rail only cost me 15.00 dollars in parts.

Stair handrails are an absolute must in the safety department and Dupont , one of the safest companies in the world will dicipline employees if they use stairs without a hand on the rail.

The good Lord has been kind to Donna and I and we have no mobility problems and we want to stay that way. Montana advertises that it's Fiver bedrooms are all on one level which is a wonderful feature, now Montana needs to go one step better and start putting in stair hand rails at the factory.

If anyone wants to see a picture link to any of my mods, let me know and I will post them. Take care.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I would love to see the furnace filter and the hand rail as Paul is going to need one. Thanks
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Don,
Would like to see pictures of your changes. all sound like good ideas.
J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sure sounds like some great changes have been done to your coach Don. I agree, pics??
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:58 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Adding personal changes and modifications to your unit makes it more useful and practical. I am amazed that the factory does not pick up on some of these changes and incorporate them in the units as standard additions.
I am trying to make mine easier for me and practical at the same time. I feel the filters are a must to cut down on dust getting into the fan and ducts, but some are very hard to protect. My furnace is under the sink and it is open with all the plumbing pipes everywhere. I wish it was separated better.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:31 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Photos, bring em on, specially that one of the handrail!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:59 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I'm on my way to work but this evening I will post them.
Al & Carol , your Yorkies are absolutely gorgeous and they do know how to smile for the camera.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:39 AM   #8
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Thanks for the tips. Patti and I were considering the coat hooks, but weren't sure where to put them. Love to see the pix. I also wondered about the air filter, too. We have the same rig as you do.

Do you like the mirror on the front of your rig? I can't see any use for it, myself. I can see the pin and receiver just fine from the driver's seat.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Scattershot, Mine is an early 06 and has the older front end. You are probably lucky to have the new front end for resale. I love this Monty of ours so much I think it will be my last RV .

I will post a pic of the coat hanger later on tonight. Trump is on and I am crazy about that show
........... hope nobody holds it against me. I am a Donald too but a working slob. Take care.