Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
CAR AND TRAILER WASH AND WAX

car and trailer wash and wax

1 pt. cold powder detergent
1 cup zip turtle wax
2 qt. lukewarm water

Put all the above mixture in a gallon jug. Shake to dissolve detergent. Store. Use 1 cup on mixture to one gallon water. Wash, section at a time with mixture and rinse with water hose. Use mop with no metal, sponge or rag. Removes mildew and all other hard to get off grime, leaves surface shiny.

I found this the other day and as soon as the wind stops blowing I am going to try it.

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
This may be a dumb question on my part, but what is "cold power detergent" and where can you buy it ??????
party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Sorry Typo error
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 04:25 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Linda, let us know how it works. I still have a good supply of zip wash (which also leaves a wax finish) but am interested in your solution.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:57 AM   #5
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I have always been told that most household soaps are to harsh on the wax. and do not every use automatic dish washing detergent as it is abrassive and could damage the paint. If you use a soap other than automotive soap, Dawn is the most mild. This is info I was told to by a Paint guy and thought I would pass it along because it seem to make since. I don't know what detergent you where talking about. clothes soap? I have used it in the past and it will remove the wax. I now use automotive soap [costco] or Dawn if I am out of the other.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I'll second that on the laundry detergent. Too harsh for paint & removes wax.

I am currently using the Mr. Clean AutoDry system. No waterspots, no drying either. Even on black cars. It's a little pricy, but it sure saves time, and my back.

I'm planning on washing & waxing our 2955 this weekend. I'll probably wash it first with a regualar RV wash, black streak remover and the whole kaboodle. Then I'll do it again with the Mr. Clean system. Let it dry until the early evening & start waxing. I may be able to walk Monday, but it's not a sure thing.

MuddyPaws
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote