Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Hip replacement (rather long, sorry)

It's amazing how quickly the human body wears out anymore. After only 53 years of use and abuse, my left hip has decided that it will fall prey to degenerative arthritis.

The pain started about a year ago, but I didn't think anything about it. After all, I am a man, and men ignore health problems and pain in general. Pain continues to get progressively worse over the days and months. I grin and bear it and continue to try to maintain a normal way of life.

Fast forward to July 6, 2007. I go to work and within 30 minutes of walking on the old concrete floor, I am in so much pain in the left hip I can't stand up. I am sent home and end up in the emergency room.

After numerous x-rays and an MRI and two different diagnosis; I get referred to an orthopedic surgeon. After a long discussion of the different treatments available, Karen and I decide that I should have the hip replaced.

Schedules are checked and tests are done. The days and weeks fly by. Tomorrow morning I check in to St. Margaret's Hospital in Spring Valley, Illinois to have my hip replaced.

What I find amazing is that we told the surgeon that we leave for Florida the middle of October and if I wouldn't be released by then, we would put off the surgery until next spring. He said that we should be able to leave for Florida on time with no major issues. I will be using a walker for about a week, then move to a cane, and depending on how fast I can recover no further assistance would be needed.

He said that I would be weight bearing as tolerated as early as the day of surgery, and could be released to work with in 4-5 weeks. He knows that I am on my feet all day and says I should not have any problem other than I shouldn't climb ladders for a couple of months.

It is amazing how much medical science has changed over the years. Not that long ago, recovery from hip replacement took six months to a year. The patient was kept in the hospital from one to three weeks. Now I will be discharged on Saturday morning.

We are looking at the biggest challenge to my recovery is to being able to maneuver the walker in our Monty. She just isn't made to accomodate someone with a walker.

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I know several people who have had it done and their recovery has been real fast. Dan's stepdad has had both done now. One time when we were there visiting, he gave us a scare because he had kind of twisted when he turned to step the other way and something moved. Nothing was damaged by it, but it hurt. So, just take it easy and do what the doc says. Hope all goes well and Karen will be there for you, so don't worry. You'll be in my prayers.
Lisa

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I had both knees replaced 1-1/2 years ago and was with the hip people during rehab both tough rehabs BUT I am so happy now with my new knees..I was done walking also.
All I can say is this time next year you will go thru an airport screener and forget why you keep beeping

Bottom line is I am very happy and so will you be,E-mail if you want I can talk you down from the tree
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:39 AM   #4
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
I hope your surgery went well yesterday! I suppose by now you are doing some therapy. I seems as if they don't waste any time in getting one up and about. I know some have taken a cortisone shot in the hip to delay having the replacement and that seems to stop the pain rather well. Best of luck in your recovery.
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Gary - We wish you the very best in your recovery. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gary,
You are in my thought and prayers for a speedy recovery. I have a very dear friend who is going in on the 6th to have her right hip replaced. The doctors told her just about the same thing on her recovery time line. They are heading to AZ. in late October and was told there is no reason she should not be ready to travel by then.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Gary,

We will be praying for you. Hope to see you back on the forum and on your feet soon. God bless!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Thanks so much for the support. Toughest thing is challenging the steps. I have some friends outside right now making me some real steps and a hand rail so I won't have too hard of a time getting in and out of the Monty. Everything gets easier each day.

I will say Dave that I didn't have any pain at all after the surgery on Wednesday. As amazing as it sounds, I really didn't have any pain at all. There was some pain at the incision site, but it was gone by Wednesday night. The only pain I have is when I over do and that goes away as soon as I get everything calmed down. Physical therepy had me up on Thursday and I was walking weight bearing as tolerated with a walker on Friday.

Marilyn - We knew it was a matter of time before it had to be done, I had a dead spot on the ball from an injury I suffered about a year ago. The surgeon said we could go the cortizone route then do a partial replacement, but all of those treatments were only going to delay the inevitible. I'm really glad it's done.

Cmp-shooter - did your surgeon give you your id card with an x-ray of the prosthesis? When I go back to see the surgeon, he will give me an ID card that shows that I have had a body part replaced with a titanium spike for the TSA guys at the airports. Will be interesting to see if they believe me.

We have discovered that making some changes to the Monty going to have to be made for the short term at least. I can't sit in my easy chair , can't sit at the kitchen table, no shower for awhile, although we are getting a shower chair today. Steps between the living room and the bedroom are really tough, and there just isn't any way that the walker will make it between the bed and dresser. Oh well, we compromise and overcome.

Thanks again every one for your support. It was really appreciated.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gkbutler

Cmp-shooter - did your surgeon give you your id card with an x-ray of the prosthesis? When I go back to see the surgeon, he will give me an ID card that shows that I have had a body part replaced with a titanium spike for the TSA guys at the airports. Will be interesting to see if they believe me.
They'll believe you when they get you over on the side and run the wand up and down. They may make you raise your shirt and lower your pants (a little). My knee replacement several years ago caused the alert and they "wanded" me over on the side out of the line of traffic. I don't know what the airport security will do with me after September 10th when I have that old replacement replaced again.

Don't overdo it with the rehab. I did and I suffered for 13 years with a bad replacement.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Glad you are good, rehab will take a while BUT I WOULDN'T PLAY FOOTBALL ANYMORE

My card just has a name and address on it; no x-ray, on 1 side and a statement about a metal implant, the other side has a list of things to watch for {infections]like the dentist I have to take a antibiotic a few days ahead...looks like a credit card..I got 2 of them.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Oh yeah, almost forgot about the dentist. I found it amazing that I have to call my surgeon a few days before going to the dentist so I can get an antibodic that is until the dentist, the surgeon, and my family doctor explained why I needed to do so. It does make sense though, don't want an infection to settle in the new "joint".
Old 09-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well gary my dw had both hips done in 93 and now had the right down in oct of 06 and the left will be done in oct of 07 if you are going to fl , go far south and get to dr kagan in ft myers , fl as he or his brother are the best around sharon was up and walking in a very short time on the 2nd time around on hers ,, yes they wear out no mater what they say some thing wears out , maybe not the new hip but the body next to it john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We wish you the best. Our thoughts and prayers for your successful surgery and full recovery will be with you both.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote