Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2007, 04:49 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Water pressure regulator

When we bought our trailer almost 3 years ago, one of the first things that we purchased was one of those brass in-line water pressure regulators. Now our water pressure has decreased to a point that we don't like. When we took the regulator off the hose, it returns to a pleasant level. My question: does anyone successfully hook up to a water connection with a pressure regulator? We have an in-line household filter that we use. Does this do anything to control the water pressure?

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We used one of those brass preset regulators and then the blue ones and had no Flow, after reading the hose and test to 150 Lbs took all off extremly better, we have a whole house filter and it lowers the flow some but for two years now no leaks(knock on wood) I am considering a set up like others have showed with the large adjustable house regulator.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Judy-
The whole house filter does not do anything to control the pressure. However, the longer the filter is used, the more particulates that are trapped, the lower the pressure will be until you replace the filter, then pressure will return to normal. We had a name for this where I worked, it was called differential pressure.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Charlie, we considered the filter as the culprit but it was changed recently and we've had low water pressure at several campgrounds. The brass regulator seems to be clear but also the culprit. Possibly we need a different regulator. The water through the filter flows freely as soon as the regulator is taken off.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Bob. I was wondering if there is such a thing as an adjustable water regulator.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Take a look at the hole that the water has to travel on your regulator. Some are not much bigger than a pencil. This probably qualifies as a lo-flo restrictor as well as pressure regulator.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Judy, Someone, on an earlier post about water pressure, showed an adjustable water pressure valve. You might do a search for it, or if someone reading remembers, maybe you could help out...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, Phil, that might be just what we need. It's obvious that the blockage isn't inside the trailer as we have good water flow without the regulator.

It didn't take me long to find a nice link:

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...Regulators.htm
Old 01-31-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Judy,
I also have the brass water regulator. It kills the flow into the coach so bad that I hardly use it. I use a water filter that has a flow rate of 3 g.p.m's. At that rate, there is just enough pressure to take a normal shower. If I add the regulator to it, the water pressure drops so bad you can hardly do dishes.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, check out that site above. They claim to have good flow rates by using a slightly larger valve. Sounds good to me.

Judy, thanks for the link, I knew I saw it somewhere.....

Have added that to the list also.....

Someone told me the ones from CW were junk, or maybe I read it on here somewhere. Don't know first hand and don't really want to find out....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
The pressure regulator is designed for use in parks that have unusually high water pressure above 40 - 45 psi. The regulator will protect camper piping, fittings, valves and appliances if present. Most parks do not have this problem. You can usually tell if you flush the spigot to get the bugs and rusty water out before you hookup by an obvious high flow and huge spray when you begin to open it. Or look around at the other campers and see if they are using regulators before you hook up. I did have a brass regulator fail on me. Thanks China!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Judy, throw it away, don't use any, unless a C.G. has super duper high pressure, around 90-100 #, or so, go without it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
I agree with Ozz, we haven't used one for two years.

Larry & LaVonne
Old 01-31-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for sharing your firsthand experiences. We're enjoying the good water pressure without the regulator so I guess we'll just go without it unless we find a park that has too much water pressure. It sure is nice to be able to take a good shower with some water flow.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

Thanks, Phil, that might be just what we need. It's obvious that the blockage isn't inside the trailer as we have good water flow without the regulator.

It didn't take me long to find a nice link:

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...Regulators.htm
I've been using one from waterfilter store for four years with good results. No restriction in water flow. Still get the protection I need when I happen to be connected to one of those sources that varies from 30 to 120 psi.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #15
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
When I first hook up mthe water, I check the water pressure at the outlet side of my outside water filter with a pressure gage. If the water pressure out of the filter was 55, I add one of the brass pressure reducers to the outlet side of the filter.

I had low flow problems in the past without checking the actual water pressure; seems OK now that I only use the reducer if there is high pressure to begin with..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Someone had left one of those brass jobs on the water outlet at the CG we were in at Havasu City. I thought something had broke in the Montana because the water pressure was so low .I finally saw the regulator, took it off and the pressure is good. We have never used a regulator at any C.G.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:52 AM   #17
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
One specific CG comes to mind, Stone Mtn, GA...they have a note in the office about 100 PSI pressure...sure might test the Monty's plastic pipes and connections...a good idea to, at least, check for really high pressure before you hook up. I've stayed at a few CGs with >65 psi, not even "advertised" as such in the office.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote