Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Filling Fresh water tank issue

My wife and I just bought a new 2018 Montana 3920FB. It looks fabulous but we have had nothing but problems. At the convenience center when hooked to city water there is power fill valve for the fresh water tank. I wanted to fill the tank but the valve did not work. I called the dealership and they suggested that I look for a kink in the line...the trailer is brand new! I then went to the vent valve and filled the tank from there. Now the story gets better. I tried to use the onboard pump but it just ran and ran for several minutes with no water coming from the fresh water tank. this is just one of several small issues we have with our new trailer. Can anyone help us? We are camped about 2 hours from the dealership and they seem reluctant to send a repairman.

Biggjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I'm not familier with your model, but from what you described, I'll bet that some plumbing connections are wrong. I'd think that running the water pump with no water could cause harm to it.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Did you turn the power fill valve back to city water before turning on the pump? If it remains in the fresh water fill position it will just suck air. We learned that the hard way.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
Is your winterization valve on that might be your problem. Make sure it’s off.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Make sure you turned the tank fill vale back to city water or the pump wont work and make sure all the other valve are in the right position (IE.) winterization valve! Make sure you were not hook up to the black tank flush valve witch is right under the city valve connection.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
All good suggestions. Sometimes I crack a faucet just to let air escape out of the pump discharge to help it to prime easier.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #7
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslopez65 View Post
Did you turn the power fill valve back to city water before turning on the pump? If it remains in the fresh water fill position it will just suck air. We learned that the hard way.
yes I moved the valve position back to city water and the pump still does not grab the water from the fresh water tank.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #8
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuhn View Post
Is your winterization valve on that might be your problem. Make sure it’s off.
When I picked up the trailer it was not de-winterized. I then proceeded to de-winterize and ensured the winterization valve was off.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
All good suggestions. Sometimes I crack a faucet just to let air escape out of the pump discharge to help it to prime easier.
This is a very good suggestion. I will give it a try, but failing all this I am still at a loss why the pump wouldn't work.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you take the platic wall off the basement side of the convenience center (several screws) you will expose the connections and the water pump. First thing I would look for is loose connections, particularly the suction side to the pump.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If you take the platic wall off the basement side of the convenience center (several screws) you will expose the connections and the water pump. First thing I would look for is loose connections, particularly the suction side to the pump.
Thanks DQDick. I opened the back of the convenience center and found the line to the fresh water tank was not connected. Once connected everything was great...thanks.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #12
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
When you were trying to fill the tank with the line disconnected where did the water go?
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggjb View Post
Thanks DQDick. I opened the back of the convenience center and found the line to the fresh water tank was not connected. Once connected everything was great...thanks.
Nothing like FINE craftsmanship.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #14
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
What if this had been propane and you turned the valve on and it wasn't connected.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #15
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Montana owners; doing the jobs Keystone didn’t do.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Just ask any software engineer who the best testers are.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #17
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Greg was the line just laying there next to the pump or was it a ways away when found it was disconnected. Not defending the Keystone but I have had the problem when I replaced my pump because it wasn't pumping that I didn't get the line pushed in far enough or had not pushed the lock up/down far enough and our terrific highways smoothness had caused the line to pop out of the pump and it was lying on the floor when I pulled the cover off the back of the convenient center. My error on that one, I guess.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #18
cghsatx
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22453
After being away from RVs for a few years, I decided to get something nicer/bigger than my old 2007 Jayco 35 something. I got a Montana 3731 and was really excited about it but like others here, its been in the shop or needing to go ever since I got in it late June. Now that I have found out how much I overpaid the dealer and missing out on most of the summer due to stuff not working, I fully regret the whole process and loss of money. Its amazing to me that Keystone and the dealers can get away with this stuff. If I can ever get out of this money/trouble pit, I hope to find something that isnt a full time pain.
cghsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #19
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
If you are able many of the needed repairs can be done at home. I know it is warranted but fixing it yourself will give you more time in it. It is criminal that the dealers don't PDI properly and have the units ready for delivery. They should have taken you through the unit and demonstrated EVERY thing about it. They charged you for PDI but apparently failed to do it. I have an older unit and it has held up fine. I do many of the repairs myself, but frankly few are needed. We live in our unit and even with the last six years of a very active grandchild it is hanging in there. Get past the bad taste, eventually you'll be able to enjoy it.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #20
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Greg was the line just laying there next to the pump or was it a ways away when found it was disconnected. Not defending the Keystone but I have had the problem when I replaced my pump because it wasn't pumping that I didn't get the line pushed in far enough or had not pushed the lock up/down far enough and our terrific highways smoothness had caused the line to pop out of the pump and it was lying on the floor when I pulled the cover off the back of the convenient center. My error on that one, I guess.
Rondo, sorry for taking so long to reply. The valve was capped off and the line was just a foot or so away just laying there. All I did was uncap the valve and connect the fresh water line. This should have been picked up by the quality assurance process, however, it was missed.