Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
"GUAGES" HOW IMPORTANT?????

Ok - I would really like to know, how many of you men have the additional (Pryo, Boost,Tranny) guages.
My feeling are that if they were that important the darn company would have them as standard equipment. (BUT I KNOW I AM PROBABLY WRONG) In the manuel I don't see a thing about spec's or numbers to watch out for, so if I did install the guages except of Tranny temp I wouldn't know what to look for. I found a web site www.dieselmanor.com they have the guage kits at a reasonable price and the kits include everything, I really would appreciate your input.
Thank you John

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The pyro gage is useful for cool down before you shut off your engine (the turbo stops spinning). It is recommended to cool it down to abour 400. The max for my Cummins is 1350 (pre turbo) per Banks Power. That is also the temperature their computer will defuel to prevent higher temperatures cooking the turbo. I did install the pyro gage a year ago along with the boost which can help trouble shoot poor performance problems. It is more telemetry letting you know what the engine is doing or not doing.
Cheers,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Thank You John Kohl, I appreciate the info and numbers... I always try to let the engine run a few minute's at idle before I shut it down. That is not a favorite thing to do sometimes in the CG unless you park next to a diesel Man. I wonder how many others use these guages, we will see.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I use all three gauges. The pyro gauge tells me when to back off and the tranny temp gauge warns me if my tranny is getting to hot. The turbo pressure gauge just lets me know the turbo is working. For the manufacturers to include them would be a waste because not everyone tows like we do.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Hey John,

I dont have any installed at this time (truck is 2 months old) but I do plan on it though.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,

Just my own opinion - I didn't have them on my old truck, and never missed them. My new one has the factory trans temp and boost, and I rarely look at them. I guess there are other things I'd rather invest in. The pyro would be nice, but I cool mine down by time anyway, so no need to give it space.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We had the 3 gauges on an '01 Dodge Cummins 'cause I chipped it and put a 4" exhaust on it. I wanted to keep it from over heating. This truck, according to Dodge, will downshift if the tranny starts to get too warm. Also will defuel the engine when egt gets too high.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the EGT and turbo boost gauges on my truck. As long as I tow heavy loads with a diesel, I will not be without them. Just my 2 cents...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:01 AM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I have BD X-monitor installed that looks at Trans temp, pyro and boost. My old truck did not have anything but new one has both trans and boost gauge. I wanted to see numbers not a yellow green red line for trans temp, my main thing on keeping it running cool. I can tell you that the actual temp of fluid and what my gauge reads were within 2 degrees of each other, when I had my fluid changed last time. Boost the add on gauge is right on money with factory readings not really sure that matters on boost gauge. Pyro is good so you can see what your turbo nd exhaust temps are at, so not to burn one down. With the my 05 F350 that is stock I have never seen anything to worry about.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:51 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
John: Notice you have a Dodge (as do I). I wanted to put gauges in mine when I had my jake brake installed (I have an 06 3500 DRW 4X4) and local dealer here in Manhattan said Dodge takes a 'real dim view of gauges' and they have to look for chips / other 'unauthorized' upgrades if a warranty issue comes up. Strongly suggested I wait until my engine warranty was up before I put them in!! Guess what I'm trying to say is check with YOUR Dodge dealer first and make sure they won't give you grief about them later when (if) you need engine / Tranny warranty work done (you have better warranty -- 7/70 on drive train, 100 on engine -- 06 went to 36/36 on drive train and 100 on engine!). Now -- all that said, I had the BD X gauge (boost, pyro and tran temp) on my Ford - as others have mentioned, really helped when pulling hills to know when you were getting things too warm. (I mentioned this to local Dodge folks and they also told me that Dodge would defuel if things got too warm; don't know how that works since I've not had it happen yet and I know on my 04 I got it up there!!).

Sorry for the long post - let us know what you decide and which ones you go with!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:52 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

John,

Just my own opinion - I didn't have them on my old truck, and never missed them. My new one has the factory trans temp and boost, and I rarely look at them. I guess there are other things I'd rather invest in. The pyro would be nice, but I cool mine down by time anyway, so no need to give it space.
A BIG DITTO to the above statement. If GM or Allison thought I needed these gages GM or Allison would have made them standard equipment.
I am not independently wealthy and therefore I can find many places to spend my money than on such unnecessary frivolities such as gages, hp boosters, over sized exhaust systems, etc. My GMC performs flawlessly just as it came from the factory. So once again I repeat....
IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If you're like me and have had any tranny troubles or overheating of any kind, then you'd really like the gauges. If you are not having any trouble, then don't install them. I'm one of those who likes to head off any possibility of a problem. The manufacturers, GM, Ford, and Dodge will install the gauges for anyone who wants them. But you pay for them! Most vehicles are manufactured for "normal" use, not for full time towing like we do.

I observe my pyrometer gauge all the time when I'm climbing hills because when it reaches 1100 °F, then I know I've got to back off the accelerator to prevent damage to the engine. I don't know how anyone can tell how hot their exhaust temp is without a gauge.

Orv
Old 11-20-2006, 04:28 AM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

John,

A BIG DITTO to the above statement. If GM or Allison thought I needed these gages GM or Allison would have made them standard equipment.
I am not independently wealthy and therefore I can find many places to spend my money than on such unnecessary frivolities such as gages, hp boosters, over sized exhaust systems, etc. My GMC performs flawlessly just as it came from the factory. So once again I repeat....
IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!

Glenn,
I wonder if you will change your mind once you come west of the Mississippi River and head up into the 9,000' - 11,000' range?? I was sure glad I had as I was heading up to Park City, Utah back in August. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #14
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I want to thank everyone for the TWO CENTS WORTH...I am not one to push my truck, I don't have to be the first one over the hill so to speak. I do enjoy being the first one at the dinner table, but that has nothing to do with the truck ha ha. I guess I will check with my dealer and see what his thoughts are and then watch this forum and the truck forum for further information. Thanks again guys, see you all in BRANSON IN MAY 07. I will have the coffee ready. Safe travels John
Old 11-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #15
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
If your truck is stock you probably don't need anything except the transmission temp gauge. If you have chipped your truck you definitely need the egt gauge to keep from overheating your engine and turbo. . .
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rapidrobert

If your truck is stock you probably don't need anything except the transmission temp gauge. If you have chipped your truck you definitely need the egt gauge to keep from overheating your engine and turbo. . .
I have the Banks Power Pack on mine that's why the gauges. Have had tranny problems in the past and wanted to monitor the tranny temps. It really helps. Of course, the deep pan I had installed on the tranny in place of the stock pan really helps keep the temps down also.

Orv
Old 11-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #17
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I have all three and watch them when pulling a long hill.
I would put them on again.
Just a matter of choice.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #18
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
My truck is stock all the way, including no extra guages. The only time any guage moves much at all is the trans guage climbing a long hill. As for cool down, a bit of common sense says not to climb to the top of Pikes Peak and immediately shut the engine down. I flew jet/turbine powered airplanes and helicopters for years (still do) and their engines are the same as ours...the planes cool down during taxi, the helicopters have a two minute cool down after landing/hovering...that's what I do...a two minute idle.

A previous poster mentioned these trucks were built for normal use, not as we use them...I have to disagree. These things are built and meant to tow and work hard, towing a Montana is 'normal' for them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It was a general statement about manufacturers sell their vehicle normally to the traveling public. Those of us who tow full time need to be aware that there may be some add-ons that we have to make to accomodate our lifestyle. Our truck tows the Montana 18,000 miles a year which is more miles than I use to travel when I lived in a stick house. I wouldn't expect the manufacturers to put everything in my vehicle that I have now and expect it to be in all the vehicles they make. Most people wouldn't buy them.

Orv
Old 11-21-2006, 01:07 AM   #20
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Glenn,
I wonder if you will change your mind once you come west of the Mississippi River and head up into the 9,000' - 11,000' range?? I was sure glad I had as I was heading up to Park City, Utah back in August. =)
Dave, I really seriously doubt anything like a 9,000 to 11,000 foot mountain pass will do a thing to change my mind. As I am climbing those ranges I will be very cognizant of the terrain and will not be pushing my rig to the point of over heating the engine muchless the tranny. I know many many folks with gages and without that went over those same ranges and never had a problem with tranny over heat. If you are careful with your ride you don't need any extra gages. I drove for most of my working career and I do feel I know when to push it and when to lay back.

One other point I would like to make. Most of the extra gage people out there also have reprogrammed or chipped their TVs for just the extra HP. They feel they need the biggest, baddest, fastest truck on the road. Most of these folks will use that extra HP to push their vehicle over those ranges and well beyond what the engine/tranny was designed for and for that reason alone they need the extra gages.

Remember, I am retired. I am a full timer. I ain't in no hurry. What was on the westside of them mountains before I got there will still be there when I get there. Therefore, I surely ain't in no hurry to push it over those mountains.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote