Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2007, 06:58 AM   #21
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, I plan on using my Monty to recreate full time. Seems to me the issue is mute. There are those that live in their RV full time (24/7/365) and those that don't. Anyone else can call themselves what they wish. Why muddy the waters???

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:24 AM   #22
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Why would you advocate closing a thread that is a discussion and is intended for individuals to express their beliefs? What some are saying is that MOC has become a forum for like minded individuals and is not open to different views or thoughts. If I or you agreed with every thing posted, this would be a defunct forum.

Substand housing simply means that an rv does not meet the standards as set forth by the city, cty, state in standard construction rules for dwellings built in their communities. Why do mobile homes have to meet certain standards? Why do homes have to pass standard wiring , heating, acing, etc type standards?
RVs are substandard if they do not meet RVIA standards. That is not to say that rvs are sub stand as compared to other rvs, but to compare an rv to a fixed dwellings does make them substandard houses if you choose to live in one permamently ie: taking the axles tires etc from them as many do.

FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 AM   #23
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Whoa! I give up! Where others may consider their rig substandard housing, I don't consider mine that way. I have lived in substandard housing--outdoor toilets, water from a hand pump and no electricity. Different strokes from different folks. I'm just a plain American, free from all the turmoil who has chosen to live for the rest of my life in this rig (unless of course, that I buy another one). You can't tell me I live in substandard housing because it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 AM   #24
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I agree this is getting out of hand here! Who cares about such labels. I for one, don't need them. I am who I am and all this discussion about who is a full-timer or what someone's living standard is seems a little ridiculous! I am envious of the full-time lifestyle and look forward to the day when I have time to ponder all this.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #25
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I agree with Orv.
Opinions are just another part of the anatomy. You start using a language that puts yourself in an elevated position above others is not right. You choose this lifestyle as a way of life and travel in an RV, there is no way you choose this lifestyle as a place to live.

rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #26
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Well said Dave. As a fulltimer by anyones standards we love the lifestyle and sure do not feel like we are sub-anything. In fact, we feel pretty first class.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #27
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Helen,

You and Bill are definately first class in our book!!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #28
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
LOL.
This is starting to sound like the discussion on filling in the map with colored states (you pass through, you stop for gas, you camp there, you wish you had been there, you have never been there but you like the color of the state magnet, etc. etc. etc.) lol
What nitpicking.
I'm going fulltime when it's time and no one else will be defining what I call myself or how I do it.
I wasn't going to respond because this is so silly a topic, but I just had to.
I hope everyone is laughing to themselves (or out loud, as I have been) as they read this thread.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #29
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Larry,
You said what I wanted to say! Amen! As far as the map goes, Al and I decided we are going to fill it up with all the states we HAVEN'T visited yet. Since there are so few places we HAVE been, we will just take them off as we get to each state! LOL
Old 03-27-2007, 02:44 AM   #30
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Way to go Nita. I like your thinking.

Helen
Old 03-27-2007, 03:42 AM   #31
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
This was my feeling when this topic started. It like the topic on Fulltimers Budget. There's not a realistic amount you will spend.
Brenda and I chose to travel when I retired. We had never had the opportunity due to making a living and time restraint of vacation time. We decided to sell our house after our first trip, but we had planned to downsize anyway. We have since decided to continue this lifestyle, because we love to travel, meet new people, and see new places. If I did not want to travel, I would not live in an RV.
Call me a Gypsy, but you had better not call me Trailertrash!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:14 AM   #32
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
LOL David............

I wear a t-shirt that says "Trailer Trash with Class."

Helen
Old 03-27-2007, 04:45 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Fulltime follies said..(.Substand housing simply means that an rv does not meet the standards as set forth by the city, cty, state in standard construction rules for dwellings built in their communities. Why do mobile homes have to meet certain standards? Why do homes have to pass standard wiring , heating, acing, etc type standards?
RVs are substandard if they do not meet RVIA standards. That is not to say that rvs are sub stand as compared to other rvs, but to compare an rv to a fixed dwellings does make them substandard houses if you choose to live in one permanently ie: taking the axles tires etc from them as many do. ) What part of that statement is not true???.... This 3400 is certainly not anywhere near the standards applied to our stick house and I think we all understand that but that is not the question I asked when opening the thread. I have been enlightened on our views of full timer/long timer, etc. We have been called Gypsies and vagabonds, folks without direction , responsibilities, commitments...Absolutly..that's us and we love it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have had numerous friends, relatives, and acquaintances tell us how much they envy our lifestyle. I wouldn't think any would say that if they considered us living in "substandard housing." In fact, that phrase brings a grin to my face. If this is substandard....

Hmmm, if I live in substandard housing, maybe there's a government handout I'm missing out on.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:56 AM   #35
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

We have had numerous friends, relatives, and acquaintances tell us how much they envy our lifestyle. I wouldn't think any would say that if they considered us living in "substandard housing." In fact, that phrase brings a grin to my face. If this is substandard....

Hmmm, if I live in substandard housing, maybe there's a government handout I'm missing out on.
Steve,
I like what you say. I guess maybe we should all be running down to the "handout" office if we are considered to be living in substandard housing.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:58 AM   #36
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
The stick house where I was born had no running water, no bathroom (path out back) and no central heat. By the substandard description it was sub standard. In 1940 in rural Kansas it was the norm. We thought it was a nice little house. My Monty is way above this so I sure don't feel I'm living sub standard.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:26 AM   #37
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Since I will be living in my Monty fulltime within the next 60 days or so, I will consider myself a fulltimer. I think I may drive down to the welfare office to see if I qualify for foodstamps though, now that I'm in a substandard dwelling...LMAO

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 AM   #38
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Rich, are you having an identity crisis?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:39 AM   #39
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Yeah! How about those maps, huh???

Maybe we need a forum heading "Type A's Only - Enter At Your Own Risk", where all of these issues can be discussed at length. Moderators can move any thread (instead of deleting it) deemed an "I'm right - you're wrong" discussion to this heading, then let people who thrive on these things, Type A's, etc, have at each other.

Wow, that might actually be an idea. Only problem is how to keep it from spilling out into the "good" part of the forum? You know that psychological advice that if you smile while on the phone, it helps keep your temperament in check? Maybe we should all try to smile while typing???

(*Note: Some of the above is "Tongue-in-Cheek". I leave the reader to determine which is which...

BTW, we are FTers - no stick house, but not moving around much - yet...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #40
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
HaHa One of those substandard people, huh? LOL
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote