Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2005, 05:28 AM   #1
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Replacement parts to have on hand.

So, I've seen some threads lately where there have been some shear pins that have given way. These are items that could be handled if you had a part on hand and knew about their location.

So, is there a list (or can we create a list) of various consumable parts that could cause problems while on-the-road? What about a recommended list of consumable parts that would be "good" to have on hand?

I had written a post in a previous RV forum a number of years ago about what you NEEDED to take along as opposed to what you WANTED to take along on a trip. The things on the NEEDED list were things that would help you get back home if/when you ran into trouble. It sounds to me like there are a few low cost items that could stop you in-your-tracks if you are missing them that would be easy to carry along.

So, where are the vulnerable points? There are shear pins on the landing gear, shear pins in the newer slide mechanisms (I have a cable based slide). What else could keep me from hitching up, retracting the slides and prevent me from being able to travel? As long as I can "drag 'er home" I'll be OK.

A related list would be failure modes for landing gear and slides & how to recover. The bland generic Montana owners manual sucks rocks in this department...

Eric

Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 07:45 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
1. Shear pins for the landing jack
2. Extra set of keys for the 5er in the truck
3. The bolt and nut for the slide cross shaft
4. Fuse for the landing jack motor
5. Tools to remove/install the items 1,3,4,11
6. Jumper cable to jump RV battery, may need REALLY long ones if you need to hook up and no one is around.
7. Warning triangle[s]
8. Car charger for cell phone in the truck
9. A hydraulic jack and necessary tools to change a tire when you can't call for road service. Could unhitch and drive, that's when you will definitely need warning devices for the 5er.
10. Tube of 5 minute epoxy. It's amazing what can be done with epoxy, plumbers strap and duct tape. We broke an acclerator rod which I was able to patch together and drove over 600 miles to get home, truck dealers didn't have the part on hand.
11. A piece of plumbers steel strap, one with all the holes, and a small selection of nuts and bolts.
12. Roll of duct tape.
13. A good nylon tow strap.
14. A good light/flashlight, that works.

We also got stuck in the sand and needed a long, wide, board under the tire to get out.

We've needed almost all of the above at one time or another.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Skip,
that's a great list, and darned if I don't have almost all of it already. Never really thought about it. Thanks.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Just thought of another. A friend of ours always carries a spare spring bundle for his trailor, he broke 2 at different times, and had to replace them in the "field". They break at the eye. We also met some folks at Yellowstone that had a broken spring on their month old 5er. He gave me the name of a company that has branches all over, mostly in the eastern part of the country. They will ship.

Redneck Trailor Supplies

http://www.redneck-trailer.com/

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
A lot of folks might know of this place if they attended the rally last year in Indiana. For those of you who don't know of it, you just might locate those hard-to-find items here:

https://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/index.php

Almost forgot, it's a good place to get RV key blanks if you still use the original locks on your basement and entry doors.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:43 AM   #6
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Skip,

Thanks for reminding me of the fuses for the landing jack.

For those of us with cable slide guides, are there any parts there that are prone to wear out or break? Any preventative inspections I can do to see that some proactive replacement is in order to prevent problems in the field?

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote