Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
tacodave
Established Member

M.O.C. #1366
Lower Awning support attachment

I just realized that the screws attaching the support arm bracket for my main awning were loose and pulling out. When I tried to tighten them I realized that there was no solid wood inside the skin for the screws to "bite" into. Water must have gotten into that area and rotted the wood.
This is on our 2000 3555 RL
My question is.... can I get access to that area from inside the unit in order to replace the rotted wood. I don't want to simply move the bracket since I would have visable holes to patch. Any advice would be appreciated.

tacodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I've had those screws come loose also. I think they're screwed into aluminum and a nut driver works to tighten them. Also you might get some "star washers" and put on the screw before you screw it in.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:46 PM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
my old montana had the lower awning bracket screwed into just the metal. come to find out there wasn't anything behind it for support. there wasn't even any way to get to it without removing the whole piece. ...each one is different though. if you have room to get behind it then try placing a block of wood there and re-attach. if not maybe bigger bolts and washers. I had to replace the whole metal piece due to the damage.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:24 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Not sure if you can reach the inside but if you can I would use bolts instead of screws. Put the bolt thru the bracket and the wall, on the inside use a fender washer (large flat washer), lock washer and nut. You may have to enlarge the hole with a drill to accommodate the bolt but that way it should last forever.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I guess I'll have to check mine and make sure they are hooked to somthing, I do know the ladder that is conected to the rear cap has no support either. I sure wish I knew how to get behind those brackets on the cap.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Don, (Trailer Trash 2)

I thought when we took the plant tour at the Rally last fall that they showed us that there are support pieces behind the places the ladder is attached, I seem to remember hunks of wood back there??? I'll bet some of the fellas remember, and they will surely correct me if I am wrong!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks Carol I didnt know that they look like they are pulling the screws into the washer, I guess if I took the tail light out I would be able to see whats up there, Thanks for the info.