Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2005, 08:45 AM   #1
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Has anyone added a receiver hitch

I've heard the disclaimers of warranty coverage void, etc. but am
wondering if anyone has added a receiver hitch say for a 300lbs load
to the back of their trailer? If so what unit did you use and what
problems did you encounter?

I'm interested in using say a Reese cargo platform in the back that would attach to the hitch http://www.reese-hitches.com/railed_cargo_carrier.htm

315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Wouldn't you know it... yes .... we carry bicycles back there.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Sorry I got called away. Now remember I have an 03 3670RL ... yours may be different.

Hidden Hitch makes a receiver for RVs.. it's wider then a standard receiver. The frame rails on a Montana are about 6 feet apart. The Hidden Hitch will not bolt onto a Montana...

The factory (Lippert?) has cut the lower web from the last 2 or 3 feet of the I beam. Behind the rear stabilizer there is no lower flat horizontal web on the bottom of the I.

My approach was to bolt on a piece of 4 x 6 angle iron about 8 inches long with some 3/8 bolts. That gave me a flat surface. I tied the two frame rails together with a 2 inch square tube. I then connected my receiver to that tube and to the stabilizer cross bar. Didn't work worth a hoot. That cross bar is way to flimsy.

I had to run a tube all the way from the receiver to the spare tire rack to remove the play. That stabilized everyting enough to use a bike rack. I wouldn't tow with it... but it will carry bikes.

I had a look at the carrier your proposeing. Looks like it could be used for an awfully big load. You'd have to make things a lot stiffer then I did.

I'll put some photos up later. That should make it pretty clear as to how I went about it.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gruffy

Sorry I got called away. Now remember I have an 03 3670RL ... yours may be different.

Hidden Hitch makes a receiver for RVs.. it's wider then a standard receiver. The frame rails on a Montana are about 6 feet apart. The Hidden Hitch will not bolt onto a Montana...
Gruffy, I'll will be quite interested to see your pic's. I also have a bike carrier for a 2" receiver.

Also, do you have the part # for the Hidden Hitch you used? I looked at their web site and don't see anything with reference to an RV.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Howdy 315RLS,

The first thought that came to my mind when I read your post was, it's going to drag. We have to watch driveways we are thinking of using, like for Gas or other to estimate how much we might drag our bumper. I realize you are 2 foot shorter than us but only 1 foot behind the axle. I'll bet you have already experienced this. Anything you add below your bumper is really going to drag, is my thinking.

Some folks have thought about adding wheels or rub tabs to there TT frames. I'm convinced this is a bad idea. If one was to touch down with just one of these wheels or tabs, like on an angle it would put significant torsional stress on the frame of the TT. These people are risking all sorts of problems like breaking welds in the frame and the superstructure.

A person could design and weld a receiver to the frame that would sneak up between the bumper and the coach that would be strong enough to do the job, but I'm afraid it would weigh a 100 lbs. all by itself.

If you wanted to give up your bumper storage you could cut a square hole for the receiver to pass through it.

Not an easily solved problem.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
Montana_51
Established Member

M.O.C. #51
I added two receivers on the rear of my 2002 3280 about year and half ago. I followed the directions of one of our early members who lives in FL but I cannot remember the name. He even had pictures. I added two receivers 36 inches apart. If you take the two rear abs panels off the trailer you will see a very strong I-beam at the rear. I added a 2 in angle iron piece parallel to it about 20 inches in front with smaller angled support pieces. To this and the I-beam, I had welded the receivers exactly 36 in. apart. Then I had to cut the abs panels to fit around this. I made my own platform supported on 2 in. square tubing. I made the platform out of angle iron and then put treated 1x4 inside. It now looks like I have a deck on the back of the trailer.

Ralph Bartow
2002 Montana 3280
2002 Chev 2500HD w/duramax
Montana_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ralph, I believe that was Rob Cooley. I **think** if someone wants to go to the Members list and click on his name, in his profile there may be a link to his pictures which include the pictures you refer to.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
We might be compareing apples and oranges here...I have no rear bumper and no ABS panels... just a fiber glass endcap. I'm also almost 30 inches above ground so the tail end never drags.... I'll get photos up tomorrow though.

Rob's design was very robust, but over kill for a bike rack. He has two receivers off the I beams ... not a single center draw bar socket.(receiver).
Old 01-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #9
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Apples and Oranges,

You guessed it Gruffy. Our TT's have about 20" clearance at the rear bumper.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #10
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
For the hidden hitch go to www.hidden-hitch.com and click motohome universal hitch. Sort of lower center right. They have a hitch there that picks up a 71 inch frame. I think that's the same one I was looking at a couple of years back. Spreads wide enough for most 5ers.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:09 AM   #11
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
My dealer installed a standard 2" receiver when I
bought my Montana.
He said he had to order the "kit" from Montana, so form that I wouldn't think of any warranty issues, as long as you don't exceed the 300# limit. I have pulled a small 12 ft. boat. No problem at all. I only pulled it about 200 mi round trip, but I found not difference in the handling. I kept my speed down and made frequent stops to check it.
The receiver is welded to the frame, it shore looks beefy to me. If you want pictures let me know..I'll see if I can figure how to send them.
I plan on pulling my ATV's next summer...that will be 275#..boat trailer is 100#...tonge weight.
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lazeejl, you can post your pictures at www.tinypic.com for free, then post the url here. At tinypic, after you use the browse button to find the picture on your system, click the Host It button. When it comes back, scroll down and click on the url, then hold the control key while you press C to copy it. If you copy the one with the IMG tags around it, it will put the picture right in the post. If the picture is more than 30k or 40k or so, please put it here without the img tags. That will put the url here and we can click the url to load the picture. That way it won't cause the forum to crawl for those on slow dialup connections. Post back or email me if you need help with this.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:05 AM   #13
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
I copied the picture to http://tinypic.com/view.html?=1fimlk I hope folks can get to it.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:08 AM   #14
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
Well thats not it..Wow me and computers!!!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lazeejl, that looks like what's in the URL box at tinypic. I usually use the one titled "IMG". Pasting that one in here it will put the picture right in the post. Or you can paste it, then delete the IMG and the brackets around that, on both ends of the url. That will put a link here that can be clicked to see the picture.

I just did their 'verify link' on yours and it says inactive or invalid. Any chance of a typo?