Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #41
Mark N.
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ogden
Posts: 627
M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Of course there is the issue of voiding your frames warranty.
You are absolutely wrong about that. End of that debate.
Mark N. is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #42
jeffba
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bastrop
Posts: 2,008
M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
You are absolutely wrong about that. End of that debate.
And I realize I should be taking your word for it
__________________
2019 20th Anniversary Edition 3701LK
B&W 20K for Ford OEM Puck
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW
Poke super lignum unum et diem
jeffba is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:02 PM   #43
Ricos Ride
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Anaconda
Posts: 10
M.O.C. #18095
Andersen has only 2 documented cases where the hitch folded. Been in production since 2011. I have over 30,000 miles towing and a few hard stops thrown in and no problems. I've never been in a situation where i could not raise the legs far enough to unhook. I have however had situations where I would not have been able to unhook/rehook with a standard hitch because of the angle and grade of the spot I was camped in. Toss in never having to worry about dropping on the bed rails and I'm very happy.
Ricos Ride is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #44
Mark N.
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ogden
Posts: 627
M.O.C. #13862
Have you ever seen the C-5 Galaxy? It'll carry nearly 300,000 lbs of cargo and it's nearly ENTIRELY aluminum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c-5-dfst9303040.jpg (50.1 KB, 0 views)
Mark N. is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #45
Mark N.
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ogden
Posts: 627
M.O.C. #13862
https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...-warranty.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
And I realize I should be taking your word for it


Except for the fact that it isn't just my word on that. Look at the link.
Mark N. is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #46
Fishin2dMax
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: South Jordan
Posts: 38
M.O.C. #20689
I've have the Andersen hitch in two different TV's (one mounts on truck bed rails and the other mounts to flip up ball in the bed). I've used an Andersen hitch on my HC since new (1 year). I love the Andersen hitch for the smooth ride (no chucking) and ease of installation and removal. I have a "standard 6'.5" truck bed and have no issues with turning clearance with my HC. My RV dealer sells mostly large toy haulers and claims 70% of the new hitches he is selling / installing are Andersen with no known failures or issues.
__________________
2018.5 Montana HC 305 RL
2019 GMC 3500 HD Denali
Fishin2dMax is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #47
PSFORD99
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Centerville
Posts: 736
M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricos Ride View Post
Andersen has only 2 documented cases where the hitch folded. Been in production since 2011. I have over 30,000 miles towing and a few hard stops thrown in and no problems. I've never been in a situation where i could not raise the legs far enough to unhook. I have however had situations where I would not have been able to unhook/rehook with a standard hitch because of the angle and grade of the spot I was camped in. Toss in never having to worry about dropping on the bed rails and I'm very happy.
And to add further on both times, correct me if I am wrong, there was no damage to truck or fifth wheel .
PSFORD99 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #48
jeffba
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Bastrop
Posts: 2,008
M.O.C. #20753
Yes i found that link when researching hitches. thank you. But also found in pinbox manuals that say they will void the warranty. Plus the product manager at the national rally also stated that it void the warranty.

For me, I do not want to get caught in the middle of figuring out who is going to pay for the damage.


I just want to see how many campgrounds you can get the C5 in.

Cheers
__________________
2019 20th Anniversary Edition 3701LK
B&W 20K for Ford OEM Puck
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW
Poke super lignum unum et diem
jeffba is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #49
PSFORD99
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Centerville
Posts: 736
M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
You are absolutely wrong about that. End of that debate.
I think the mistake here on most thinking is that its a gooseneck hitch , it is not, its the same as the B&W , the hitch is attached to the truck with a gooseneck ball. The Andersen attaches at that same point on the kingpin as a conventional hitch, it just has an adapter on the king pin to connect to the ball on the top of the hitch .

I don't know if they make the same argument on my standard rail mount Andersen ?? considering there is no mention of a gooseneck connection . I prefer the rail mount over the single point Andersen, plus I already had the picture frame adapter to accommodate my previous standard fifth wheel hitch. Also the standard rail mount Andersen is steel .
PSFORD99 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #50
sberlin
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: santa cruz
Posts: 10
M.O.C. #22049
bshgto nailed it. Iím a newbie since June and went with the Anderson. Pulled from VA to CA with 19 stops and hitching was a breeze. Love that I can remove it by myself within 3 minutes when I need the full bed or when Iím staying in a place for an extended time. Easily hitch by myself as well.
sberlin is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #51
PSFORD99
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Centerville
Posts: 736
M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Yes i found that link when researching hitches. thank you. But also found in pinbox manuals that say they will void the warranty. Plus the product manager at the national rally also stated that it void the warranty.

For me, I do not want to get caught in the middle of figuring out who is going to pay for the damage.


I just want to see how many campgrounds you can get the C5 in.

Cheers

I think you can't get past the fact that the Andersen IS NOT a gooseneck hitch, couldn't be further from one. Its point of attachment is NO DIFFERENT then a conventional , totally different then a gooseneck hitch.

The point is, using an Andersen , the frame is no more subject to failure then with a conventional hitch. How many times have we read about frame failures with the lippert frames, and nothing to do with the hitch.
PSFORD99 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #52
PSFORD99
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Centerville
Posts: 736
M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberlin View Post
bshgto nailed it. Iím a newbie since June and went with the Anderson. Pulled from VA to CA with 19 stops and hitching was a breeze. Love that I can remove it by myself within 3 minutes when I need the full bed or when Iím staying in a place for an extended time. Easily hitch by myself as well.

Having towed many thousands of miles with a conventional hitch, and now the last couple years with the Andersen, would NEVER go back to the conventional. Too many advantages to the Andersen, the only negative some seem to point out, and usually the non-owners , is the increased raising ,and lowering to hitch . I haven't found that to be much of a negative, considering all the positives .
PSFORD99 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #53
davidksallee
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: LAS CRUCES
Posts: 5
M.O.C. #22669
Love ours, basically a gooseneck extension. Easy to remove, carry, n lock. Still get a metallic click occassionally when accelerating n slowing as did with fifth wheel. Rides easy n smooth over uneven bumps and no issues with my short bed. Pull a 37' 321 with Ram diesel 2500
__________________
David K Sallee
davidksallee is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #54
Patyacht
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lake Havasu City
Posts: 7
M.O.C. #22123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricos Ride View Post
Andersen has only 2 documented cases where the hitch folded. Been in production since 2011. I have over 30,000 miles towing and a few hard stops thrown in and no problems. I've never been in a situation where i could not raise the legs far enough to unhook. I have however had situations where I would not have been able to unhook/rehook with a standard hitch because of the angle and grade of the spot I was camped in. Toss in never having to worry about dropping on the bed rails and I'm very happy.
If the cases are documented as you say, please post each case that you know of so we can review those cases. Anderson has done a few changes from their beginning till now. I believe there have been more than 2 failures . In fact, I'm 99.99% sure there have been more just not publicized. Having used both types, Anderson and B&W style they both have their pluses and minuses. The modern 5th wheel of today is much heavier than in years past. I know Anderson displays a crush test (downward pressure test) but has anyone ever seen a fore and aft pressure test from Anderson or a third party?
Patyacht is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #55
dfb
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Gardnerville
Posts: 691
M.O.C. #17163
I had one hit my trucks cab.. Anderson said,"if there is anything we can do, don't hessitate".. I asked them to pay my insurance deductible.. and then.. CRICKETS... They did not help.. When their release cable broke they charged me fully.. No discount.. nothing.. I won't do business with them again.. If you have a shortbed.. stay away.. I know there video shows a 5 foot bed doing a 90.. Hogwash... I have pics to prove it on my NEW 70 thousand dollar Ram truck...
dfb is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 PM   #56
Fishin2dMax
Established Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: South Jordan
Posts: 38
M.O.C. #20689
I too have a new 70 K "short Bed / standard 6'.5" bed and have not come even close to hitting my cab with the Andersen. The Andersen has an offset so you can extend the hitch pin forward and further back on the ball. With any hitch, there is the possibility of hitting the cab or bed rails with the trailer if there is a lot pitch, slope and angle while backing. Could my trailer tag my Cab or bed rails, you bet, but the Andersen is no different than my previous conventional hitch. Regardless of hitch, there is a need to be careful when other variables come into play while backing a trailer.
__________________
2018.5 Montana HC 305 RL
2019 GMC 3500 HD Denali
Fishin2dMax is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #57
Patyacht
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lake Havasu City
Posts: 7
M.O.C. #22123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin2dMax View Post
I too have a new 70 K "short Bed / standard 6'.5" bed and have not come even close to hitting my cab with the Andersen. The Andersen has an offset so you can extend the hitch pin forward and further back on the ball. With any hitch, there is the possibility of hitting the cab or bed rails with the trailer if there is a lot pitch, slope and angle while backing. Could my trailer tag my Cab or bed rails, you bet, but the Andersen is no different than my previous conventional hitch. Regardless of hitch, there is a need to be careful when other variables come into play while backing a trailer.
So true. I did have 1 cab contact but it was the "service departments" fault. To test drive and check my trailer brakes they removed the "Adapter", did not tell me and reinstalled the adapter backward. It did not cross my mind to check the adapter installation when I picked up the trailer.
Patyacht is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #58
Jim.Burke
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Arvada
Posts: 6
M.O.C. #22791
I have an Andersen Hitch

In September 2018 my wife and I purchased a new 2019 3931FB. I did not belong to the Montana Owners Club and did not read about all of the controversies surrounding the Andersen Hitch. The little bit of research I did lead me to believe the Andersen was a great product. Had I read this forum before I bought my hitch I probably would have bought a B&W Hitch. But, as I said, I bought and Andersen, and to honest, I really like my Andersen Hitch. I find it very easy to connect and disconnect. The hitch is smooth going down the road. Our first long trip this fall was from Denver to San Diego. We pulled our 14500# trailer up and down some steep grades and we experienced no problems, we pulled through some heavy crosswinds in New Mexico and had very little control problems (certainly nothing hitch related). So, some of you are probably now going to hate me, and some of you are going to like me. This is just my honest experience with Andersen. Oh, and if you asked me after reading all this stuff now, would it change my mind....no way, I like my Andersen....... I like my Ford too.......there now I've done it, I now have a bunch of Ram and Chevy guys that hate me too.
Jim.Burke is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #59
BillnLonda
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Denison
Posts: 5
M.O.C. #23085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Burke View Post
In September 2018 my wife and I purchased a new 2019 3931FB. I did not belong to the Montana Owners Club and did not read about all of the controversies surrounding the Andersen Hitch. The little bit of research I did lead me to believe the Andersen was a great product. Had I read this forum before I bought my hitch I probably would have bought a B&W Hitch. But, as I said, I bought and Andersen, and to honest, I really like my Andersen Hitch. I find it very easy to connect and disconnect. The hitch is smooth going down the road. Our first long trip this fall was from Denver to San Diego. We pulled our 14500# trailer up and down some steep grades and we experienced no problems, we pulled through some heavy crosswinds in New Mexico and had very little control problems (certainly nothing hitch related). So, some of you are probably now going to hate me, and some of you are going to like me. This is just my honest experience with Andersen. Oh, and if you asked me after reading all this stuff now, would it change my mind....no way, I like my Andersen....... I like my Ford too.......there now I've done it, I now have a bunch of Ram and Chevy guys that hate me too.
I love my Anderson in my Ford too. We can be friends now!
BillnLonda is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #60
Champ
Established Member
 
Champ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elverta, CA
Posts: 20
M.O.C. #20905
I use the Andersen hitch in my 2017 Ford long bed to pull my 2018 3120 around for about 3,000 miles with no problems. Love it.
__________________

2018 Montana 3120RL
2017 Ford F-350
Champ is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×