Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
MPG was not a consideration when purchasing the diesel truck.It was ordered and purchased to tow a heavy 5th wheel within spec's. MPG is what it is to do so.

We see @ 10MPGg when towing at times a bit less and at times a bit more. RV'ing is a expensive endeavor. Diesel, Campgrounds, Rallies , Etc.When you do it full time or long times it takes a chuck out of the paycheck.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #42
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Back in 06 when I first got a diesel, it was quite a bit cheaper than gas. The sulphur content was 500ppm. Then they went to 50 ppm and now 15? (or is it 5?). Each time the price went up. I think this is a major contributor to the higher price. Still it is better than around 2008 or so when I paid $4.85 in the Chicago area!!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:09 AM   #43
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Price of diesel went up because I bought one. Want short a stock? ask me what I am buying. No it is not funny
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:33 AM   #44
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I guess after driving an F350 with a 6.8 V10 and hauling a similar sized 5err as we have now, 2x the mpg hauling or empty with the 6.7 diesel makes me feel real good --- except 2-3 years back when that diesel fuel topped $5/gallon for a while. It's sitting at $3.12-3.19 vs gas at $2.86-2.90 and is still a comparative bargain in the top taxed state
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #45
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I work in the oilfield. Thanks for your support!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #46
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Back in 06 when I first got a diesel, it was quite a bit cheaper than gas. The sulphur content was 500ppm. Then they went to 50 ppm and now 15? (or is it 5?). Each time the price went up. I think this is a major contributor to the higher price. Still it is better than around 2008 or so when I paid $4.85 in the Chicago area!!!!
Emphasis added...

Summer 2008 was an anomaly. Speculators were running the insane asylum. Just in time for the election that year, everything was going down the tubes and gas was under 2.00 per gallon by Thanksgiving here in Chicago. I predict you'll see those 4.85 prices again within the next two years. Chicago real estate is now starting to heat up as CA, WA and CO real estate levels off. The wheels are coming off the economic gravy train, but nobody can see it yet. Recession here we come. You heard it here first.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #47
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I guess after driving an F350 with a 6.8 V10 and hauling a similar sized 5err as we have now, 2x the mpg hauling or empty with the 6.7 diesel makes me feel real good --- except 2-3 years back when that diesel fuel topped $5/gallon for a while. It's sitting at $3.12-3.19 vs gas at $2.86-2.90 and is still a comparative bargain in the top taxed state

I have a V10 motor home. The mileage ranges between awful and terrible but most of the time it’s just awful.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #48
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We started with a 2005 F-350 V-10 we had it when we purchased the 06 3400.It was a great truck . We loaded up the 06 3400 and headed out for our first road trip after retiring.

We returned after about 7K miles and the first thing we did was to trade it for a 08 F-350 Diesel. It was easy to sell around here the first person that looked at it purchased it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #49
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The first time we went out west we watched all the diesel trucks pass us. I watched to see which ones went out of sight the quickest. We had a lot of time to watch as I was pulling a 27 foot 5er with a 5.4 F150. It was a white knuckle experience and I came home and bought a 7.3 Ford.
Oh the good old days!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #50
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
It is amazing how many times I have heard the story we started with (insert any brand smaller truck) and we traded up to (insert any brand 1ton dually). Same for RV. We started with a pop up camper and kept getting larger and better.

Very rare exception when you hear. We traded for smaller. Yeah they are there but only maybe 10% of owners

Reminds me of all the stories we heard while looking at used diesel pushers. It was always the same “we worked all our life to retire and buy this rig” three months after we bought it he/she got sick”....

That’s why the wife and aren’t waiting for retirement to enjoy life. We are both widowed and it changes your outlook.....
Old 08-24-2018, 08:16 AM   #51
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Three interesting videos

GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #52
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
GreG L... JMHO... drag race in a dually is pointless unless you are actually racing for money or pink slips. So what if one gets up the Ike Gauntlet 30 seconds faster. Max towing... yep GM cannot tow 30k the way Ford or RAM can, but in most RV applications all three are a virtual dead heat. MPG... almost a virtual dead heat but the most important when all things are equal.

again JMHO

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
Old 08-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #53
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Never mind best mpg or drag racing. Only the tow capacity mattered on those videos!!

Now if they want to show a video of the trucks pulling a tractor pull sled that at least makes some sense!

These trucks are DESIGNED to do one thing TOW. They are not daily drivers (unless you work in construction). They aren’t meant to take the wife to the beauty parlor. And there not intended to be urban friendly

If your worried about fuel mileage and you just bought a 5th wheel you have bigger issues to address than what gear ratio will get the best mpg.....
Old 08-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #54
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
X2 with James on the hole thing it's a one ton truck for pet sake Y'all are to funny about MPG doe's it pull & stop your 5er that is what maters to me!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #55
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I looked at those 3 videos at least a year back and my only comment then was that not all things are equal in a Made-For-You Tube by someone with no actual credibility or real calibrated test equipment.

All three brands are fully capable with the major differences other then possible cost dollars being what fits your needs.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #56
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
The only thing the videos show (and there are many more) is that one manufacturer is not better than the others in all things. The real point is the differences in all aspects is so small and the areas we tow in are so varied, as are we as individuates, that it really comes down to are you a Ford, GM or Ram guy because you wont be able to tell the difference.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #57
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Never mind best mpg or drag racing. Only the tow capacity mattered on those videos!!

Now if they want to show a video of the trucks pulling a tractor pull sled that at least makes some sense!

These trucks are DESIGNED to do one thing TOW. They are not daily drivers (unless you work in construction). They aren’t meant to take the wife to the beauty parlor. And there not intended to be urban friendly

If your worried about fuel mileage and you just bought a 5th wheel you have bigger issues to address than what gear ratio will get the best mpg.....
Not disputing these trucks are built to tow or that you get crappy MPG when towing. but 7.5 vs 8 MPG is a substantial difference when you are talking about 10000 miles. (83 gallons at 3.00 per gallon is 250 dollars. No it won't break the bank but it should be considered. Most people do not tow trailers that will strain even the GM product so the tow ratings are mostly a non starter. If you tow 30K trailers GM is not your solution. IF you have a 16000 lb trailer in tow... you won't notice much performance difference between the big three, 30 fewer seconds up the big hills is BS to stroke your ego. If you want that tiny edge... have at it, I'd prefer to save money for entertainment, not burning it through the tail pipe. You totally changed the context I was referring to. Some of us will only have the TV so yeah it will have to make trips into town including hair appointments for the wife.

Other than that, cost to maintain each and up front cost to buy are the only two other considerations other than aesthetics (you will spend time in the drivers seat so you should happy and comfortable there) that are important.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #58
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
The only thing the videos show (and there are many more) is that one manufacturer is not better than the others in all things. The real point is the differences in all aspects is so small and the areas we tow in are so varied, as are we as individuates, that it really comes down to are you a Ford, GM or Ram guy because you wont be able to tell the difference.
They have been making these videos for quite a few years, usually with the same results, and nothing annoys the ford guys more.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:59 PM   #59
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I do think the videos are at least informative for tow ratings and MPG. If you also pay attention you can see which brand of trucks make the chore of driving a bit less stressful and some manufacturers also have quite a bit safer trucks than others depending on which year who is ahead on the safety/technology curve. Braking and exhaust braking are also important to me and if your rig doesn't work with disk over hydraulic brakes then the mileage doesn't matter. When I looked at new rigs I tried to have an open mind on the whole package not just power or MPG? Which is the truck that will get me from point A to point B with me filling great instead of exhausted.

Tom Marty
Old 08-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #60
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I have friends that have the the other two brands and they encouraged me to at least try them because of the things they liked about them, and I had my own criteria. Being honest I have to say it came down to brand loyalty, there went enough differences to push me in one direction or another. On a personal note, I have a brother in law that works in one of the factories I could never bring myself buy that brand.

Tags
diesel, mileage