Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
CONTROL CENTER INDICTOR LIGHTS

After dumping my tanks I recheck the indictor lights on the control panel & more times than not they show 2 or 3 lights after the tanks have been dumped. This happens on all 3 tanks. I can understand the possibility that in the black tank that paper or something has got caught on the sensor but why would the gray tanks have this problem?
I've used the Calgon solution in all tanks. Does not seem to help. My Monty (3455SA) has been sitting in the same place since last October. Is this causing the problem? Also, do I need to buy some type of manual sprayer to put in the toilet to remove debris from the tank sensors? I always use the built-in sprayer when dumping the black tank but I can never seem to get the sensor to show just 1 light for the level.
Is there a safe way to determine the level of your tank without relying on the control center indictors? Should I always wait for the indictors to show the tank is full before dumping?
As always, any and all help is appreciated.
Larry P

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
It's been my experience that those monitor stations are a joke. I've had three RV's with them and everyone of them have functioned the same way. I just don't bother.....I can usually estimate how much is in the tanks. When I dump the tanks I try to place a wooden block under the tires on the opposite side to tilt the trailer toward the dump. I dump what I can and move on. I do like to add water to the black tank before traveling to slosh things around real good, then dump as soon as I can thereafter.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Larry,
I like to dump with a full tank. So I let them tell me when they are full. The black tank "burps" when full and the grays start filling the sink or shower.
I like to dump from a full tank because I feel I get better flush / suction when the water flows out.

I do not rely on the sensor indicators at all. I feel soap scum is causing the sensors to miss read.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The black tank you have figured out. On the grays, as John says you have soap scum buildup, but you also have lint build up if your washer dryer dumps into your main gray (particularly if you have a spendide since they don't have a lint filter and instead put the lint down the drain). On the kitchen you have soap and food build up since there are still food particles going down there no matter how carful you are. We're probably going to have outside the tank sensors installed this fall, but John's right you can certainly make do without them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Forget relying on the sensors. Every rig we have ever owned that had them were useless, including the Montanas.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Mine are the same way, especially the black tank. Like John, I wait until the commode starts to burp and then dump.
The galley and grey tanks I usually leave the valves open all the time if we are in middle of an extended stay. Several times I have forgotten to dump them and either ended up standing in 1-2" of water in the shower, or the kitchen sink started to back up while doing dishes. And likely as not it was raining at the time and I ended up getting wet going to dump it. The washer fills up the grey tank pretty fast.
As mentioned, a full black tank just seems to dump better. And if I remember, I may close the grey tank valve when I think the black tank is getting near full so I have extra water to flush the hose. But with the black tank flush I am not sure that is necessary. And I will close both galley and grey a day or two before we plan to leave a park so they get some water in the tanks for a flush.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
Thanks to everyone for the replys. I don't feel so bad now. I thought the control center & sensors were going to require replacement. But now I can see I just have a nornal unit.
We do not have a washer/dryer setup so I only deal with the sinks/bath/toilet. I agree that if I wait until the black tank is full I get a better dumping flow. I also try to refill the black tank with the flush to also get a better clean out.
I'm not sure what is meant when you say the toilet "burps" when full. Could you explain this ?
Again, thanks for all of the help.
Larry P
Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
When the black tank nears full the water level covers the vent pipe opening inside the tank. And when you flush, since it can't push air out the vent, it "burps" or a large bubble pops up in the bottom of the bowl as the water goes down.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Our Montana, and every previous RV, had a lousy system that was worthless. Our MH has an excellent system, it is the Sensa Tank Level Monitoring System, and has worked perfectly:

http://www.levelguardproducts.com/ma...nk-monitor.php
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Rick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8298
Hi Fellow RVer's
After dumping your tanks, I have been told by some long time unit owners. to refill your tank's with about as much water as you think you would need to clean the sensors Ie. 1/3, 1/2, 3/4, or full.
Then here is the trick.
Into the tank or tanks that need to be cleaned put half a dozen bags of Ice cubes . Let the Ice cubes do the work of cleaning the sensors while you travel down the road a few miles, If you don't like to travel with tanks loaded with fresh water then just go around a block or two to the let the cubes do some work,
This works in the Black fairly easy, more difficult in the grays As the screens in the sink should be taken out.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I can see how to get ice into the black tank, but not how you are supposed to get it into the gray tanks???? I have done the black tank that way many times and it usually works but it is kind of hard to get ice into the gray tanks, for those I use a gallon of white vinegar in the gray tanks, it cuts soap scum from the sides of the shower tank, and cuts the grease from the galley tank. AND IT IS CHEAP!!!!
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
No matter what you do, your sensors still won't give you an accurate reading. My thought is to just ignore them, or don't even look at them. Like everyone else has said, there are other indications of when the tanks are getting full. Use the black tank sprayer in the convenience center;, that will help keep that tank clean.
Good luck.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote