Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #41
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We are lucky with both of our retirements we are OK. We will be happier after we sell this house. Don did union electrical for 45 years and has a very nice retirement.
We have a 2 month trip planned this spring. Branson in May, then SC then Branson again in June for another rally.
Steve is right about the cost of fuel. It is not as bad as it seems but it is serious.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #42
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Well, I would normally agree with the general concensus as far as the cost of or cost to travel is concerned...Up to two weeks ago I would have been making submissions to the DW (who is in charge of just about everything) about our RVing future......but for some reason (life in general) I developed a serious medical condition that appeared to be life threatenning...to me at least...I was really upset that we were not going to be able to travel south in the winter (to the heat) and as you know or have probably seen folks who procrastinated and failed to accomplish their "goals" and then fell ill.....I resolved that if I was able to make it through this glitch and remain on the healthy and able to travel ledger,,we were outta here...so....no matter what the differences in costs we will be going...I refuse to sit here next winter counting my pennies and hoping to go next year........I will know for sure in 10 days what my future holds.....if the indication is a go, the checkered flag will get caught on the a/c as I pass through the gate........
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 AM   #43
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good luck, Don. I hope all goes well with your health and your retirement.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:06 AM   #44
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don, I agree. Money is not everything. I would be thinking exactly the same as you. I have heard another analyst (yes, I know I said I would not listen to any more of these guys...) say that we may fall back to $3.00/gal by July if people stop driving (which this thread gives a good indication of). This would be helpful - to both us and the economy - although, there is some lag time on some of these effects based on cause.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:31 AM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have not yet seen the effect of 105/106/107/108 oil at the pump.That is still "in the pipe line" so to speak. Oil closed at 108.75 yesterday.We will pay for that a week or two down the road.My guess is we are now paying for 101/102 per barrel oil today. Grab onto something for the price shock.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #46
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Gas prices (not diesel) went up 12 cents overnight here.

Rich, I don't think it will take a week for those prices to go up again, they seem to be able to raise it immediately when the barrel price goes up, but, seem to find it difficult to lower as that same barrel price goes down. I am sure they have a good reason.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:43 AM   #47
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
In response to dsprik's comment about stopping driving.....IF only the general masses would do that for two days or so.....I can see the jumpers lined up on the highest buildings on Wall street already........ and to add to that theme..

If the legislators would let the Police do their jobs,, the downturn in criminal acts that would occur and the number of Lawyers that would go broke..

If everything was built right the first time, or at least done right the first time how much manufacturing costs or costs at least would go down...

I just realized I was hijacking the thread..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #48
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Don, our thumbs are up because we are praying for a good outcome regarding your health. No matter what, you are SO right about money not being everything. We put off what we thought were things we could do "later," later being when we had everything financially set for our future.

In March of 2005, while waiting for that perfect moment, Wayne had a heart attack, followed by several cardiac arrests, surgery, and then a year-long battle with a nasty staph infection he picked up in the hospital. Clearly, that was a wake-up call on several fronts, beginning with a major weight loss and exercise program for Wayne and a revision in our thinking about the future. He has lost the suggested 75-pounds and has kept it off for nearly 2 years now, and he's walking 3 - 5 miles a day, weather permitting--but as the cardiologist told him, there are no guarantees that come with any of that.

The time to enjoy life is now. I used to laugh at those bumper stickers I've seen on RVs headed down the road: "We're spending our children's inheritance." Well, guess what, Susan, Scott, and Hillary . . .
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 AM   #49
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Diesel went up here 10 cents last night, gas 14 cents. Yes, the oil at 108 is not in the pipeline yet but that doesn't keep them from raising the rate. Per my local jobber friend - 'I have to earn the money to pay for it at the higher price' -- basically the stations are charging what it takes to replace what they have in the ground, not what it cost them to get what they just sold us (hope that made sense)...

Attended an econ grad student presentation this morning early - his Thesis was partially on this basis and he wrote that he sees more businesses going to this model -- grocery stores in particular. With computers they have already gone to the everything is the current price model (I remember when we used to scrounge around in the cans looking for cans with older (cheaper) prices - my mom would get so upset when she saw the stock boy repricing items on the shelf-- now they just change the price in the computer!) Now, his example was they would check the price for product coming in next week (or tomorrow for that matter) and immediately raise the price on the shelf stockage to that new higher price. The question was asked if they would lower the prices as well; the student's response was 'Highly unlikely as they would use that profit to cover shortages elsewhere.'

You know, it is getting to the point that we might just have to say 'S#$%w it! I earned it, I'm going to enjoy it!' and we get on with it. However, no matter what we ultimately decide, the transportation costs will have a definite impact on our lives and lifestyles.

Keep the greasy side down, the wind at your back, and may the Good Lord bless you in all your endeavors!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #50
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It has always been that way in the commodities market. Our families business was in Commodities(not oil) If you purchased a commodity for 10.00 and the next day it went up tp 12.00 your prices would reflect the 12.00 price because there was the chance that the commodity would go down to 8.00 the next day and to stay competitive you would have to lower the price to the 8.00 level.Of course in those days commodities did not fluctuate like oil does now.But pennies make a big difference when dealing in volume. such is reality.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:16 AM   #51
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
We too are in FL for Dec- March and maybe longer this year as Sue just got out the hospital after having a kidney stone, diverticulitis, and a TIA during all the pain from the combination of pain and high bloodpressure because of all of it. She is back home and doing fair, can't ride for 2 to 3 weeks so we will stay put until the first week in April. We do plan on spending most of our summer in Canada fishing but not going back and forth from there to Upper Michigan as much, we will stay put in Canada. We have the diesel truck and the extra tank that holds another 50 gals so a fill up coat more than we made in a month back when we got married 44 years ago!!! But what are you going to do, we still like to go and will not just stay home, just not as much or as far!!!
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #52
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just made some tentative long range plans for next year.One never knows what the economy may be 1 year down the road.Diesel may be 6.00 per gallon..it may be 2.00 per gallon but if one has a plan you have options. We made reservations here at this same C.G for next year but will be here longer.. November 1 to April 30th.We will work at Disney. Helen is already a cast member. They called today to offer me a job but we will not be here long enough now. I will have a job there next season.It will be a working winter , 2 or 3 days a week each, but we will pay our way. We will not be denied our great adventure ..we will modify and adapt according to conditions.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #53
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Diesel here is $1.32 per litre or about $5.00 per gallon(US). (Can$ and US$ are at par). About $1.60 is various taxes. Tourists can apply for some of these taxes back in the form of a rebate. There is a move afoot to add on a carbon surcharge similar to one announced in BC last week.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #54
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Roger.. I did this post on the fuel prices in Canada on another thread'

"A large part of that price are Taxes such as federal Excise tax, provincial tax, Transit tax, GST/HST. USA federal tx on fuel is 14.5 and in Ohio 28 cents state tax.42.5 cents of my fuel price are taxes. Canada provides many attractive benefits to their citizens but it comes at a price.Canadians pay a average of 35% tax on their fuel VS @ 20% in the USA.We are very much alike in many ways but our Governments are very different. http://www.petro-canada.ca/en/media/296.aspx .....

Old 03-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #55
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I worked for a big chain company that also sold fuel. We would need to go around and check the competition for fuel prices and would raise and lower according to the competition. If that isn't price fixing, then what is it? Everyone does it. All stations and stores do it. Part of life. That is what "gas wars" are about.
I believe too many foreign investors are involved in oil and OPEC and is trying to control our economy. Of course if we don't buy fuel then China will buy what we don't use.
I hope this isn't political, if it is then please forgive me.

We will continue to travel.... we only go around this life once! Money is not everything.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #56
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
The gas wars have changed, now it's who can raise the price first.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #57
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Way to go Bingo, Kathy & daughters!!!! You will have a wonderful, great time and just think of all the memories you will have.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #58
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
bncinwv,

You are TRULY blessed if you can afford $10,000 for the specified weekends.

Some of us just don't have that kind of expendable cash, OR credit! I believe that is why they called the retirement check a FIXED income??

And, that is why we are enjoying every day here in the RGV, come wind (oh and we have had that), come sun (yep, had that too! ), come chilly or blazing hot! We realize that we might not get back here again.

Taking the bird in the hand thoughts very seriously these days.

To get a job here in the Valley you must be bi-linguel, I am not. OR, you have to work as a work camper. No jobs have been offered, and none looked for yet.

And, tomorrow, I will sit out under the awning and enjoy every moment!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #59
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Carol,
The point of the post was not the money involved, the point was that we simply have to enjoy the time we are mercifully given together and be thankful that we have the opportunity to enjoy each other during that time. I find it hard to believe that even those on fixed retirement budgets cannot find the time and money to enjoy what they do have instead of constantly grumbling about those who want to take it away. Rich is exactly right on his previous posts.....change your plans to accomodate what you can......but the bottom line HAS TO BE that we have to enjoy what we are given. I am not retired and these expenses may well delay my retirement, but nonetheless, I will not let the price of fuel, the price of gas, the price of food, etc. detract from the time that I will have together with my family......and in making new MOC friends at the rallies we have planned in advance. I will not short-change any aspect of my leisure time with my family and friends simply because I have to live on the expectation that each and every one of these times and occasions is another one of our unmerited BONUS DAYS. Discouragement is our enemy!!!! And the enemy wins when we are discouraged to the point that we forget to enjoy the basic fact that we are alive and live in the greatest country in the world!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #60
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bingo has 10K budgeted for the year which means he has the dollars to spend and that is a good thing. He may have to adjust as the year goes on but as we can see he has a well thought out plan and a budget. If you have a plan and a budget you are in control.We did the same thing..had a plan and a budget. The economy has caused us to change and adapt. We cut out trips,we will work to enhance our budget.Bingo may have to do the same. But..we will continue with our Great adventure. I will quote Bingo in saying "we have to enjoy what we are given" whatever that might be...And my favorite saying.."if you want something bad enough..you will find a way to make it happen."

Carol..English is also a second language around here. Fortunately Disney is a very large employer and it is not hard to get a job there.Not very high paying but enough for us to suplement our travel budget.