Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
what to bring camping list

Here is a link for a "what to bring" while camping. I got this from the KOA website.

http://www.koa.com/familyzone/camping101/bring.htm

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave,

I didn't see beer anywhere on that list!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,
Let me see what I can do about that... =)
Old 05-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave,

I filled it in on the bottom where the blank lines are but I seem to have ran out of lines!

In reality it's a pretty good list.

mac
Old 05-10-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
Funny, but of all the things I have forgotten to bring along, beer has never been one of them. I don't need a checklist to remember that.

Seriously, it is a GREAT list. I printed it up and will use it. Thanks!
montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave,

Then you and I need to go camping, I don't need a reminder either so we should be set! The rest will take care of itself.

mac
Old 05-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
It said something about tents and sleeping bags. I vagely remember something about that. Pretty much why I have a 35 ft Mountaineer 5er.
I absolutely would not have BEER with me so I will leave it off the list...and add a bottle of Crown.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,
Just one bottle of Crown? That reminds me, I need to make a run to the ________ store and stock up the coach.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have a list that I have been keeping up for years. Whenever I find something missing, I edit the list. Sometimes things drop off as we no longer need them. Also, my list is in three parts. Common stuff, Victoria's stuff and Dave's stuff (this is where I include beer and "kicken chicken") This duplicates some stuff like socks and raingear but each of us is respnsible for our part of the list.
Also, there is a note on our list that each item is not necessary but each item needs a decision.

I like the KOA list Dave found and plan to review it to see if ours needs modifying.

The KOA site also has setup and knockdown checklists. Frankly, I think it is far too complex. I think it is better to find four or five critical items and think up an acronym reminder. For example, in aviation we use a pre landing check GUMPS for Gasolene, Undercarraige, Mixture, Prop, Seatbelts. For the fiver, I think the departure list is Electric, Water, Sewer,(all unhooked and stowed) Antenna(s) down, Slides in, Stabilizers up, Hitch locked, jacks up, chocks out.

That is nine more or less critical items. Problem is I can't get it to spell Mississippi or anything else useful. Maybe someone clever member has an idea. You could be famous.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:58 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave, you forgot "WIFE" on that list, many campgrounds have signs as you leave, "Antenna Down, Steps Up, Wife onboard??"
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:57 AM   #11
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Montana Sky,
Thanks for the link! Great lists! I printed off ALL of them. My favorite one was the what to leave behind list. It reminded me that we don't need to take a whole lot of stuff with us because we're on vacation or just getting away for the weekend, we're not living there. Beer and or Black Velvet would definately need to be added to the what to bring list.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:45 AM   #12
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

We have a list that I have been keeping up for years. Whenever I find something missing, I edit the list. Sometimes things drop off as we no longer need them. Also, my list is in three parts. Common stuff, Victoria's stuff and Dave's stuff (this is where I include beer and "kicken chicken") This duplicates some stuff like socks and raingear but each of us is respnsible for our part of the list.
Also, there is a note on our list that each item is not necessary but each item needs a decision.

I like the KOA list Dave found and plan to review it to see if ours needs modifying.

The KOA site also has setup and knockdown checklists. Frankly, I think it is far too complex. I think it is better to find four or five critical items and think up an acronym reminder. For example, in aviation we use a pre landing check GUMPS for Gasolene, Undercarraige, Mixture, Prop, Seatbelts. For the fiver, I think the departure list is Electric, Water, Sewer,(all unhooked and stowed) Antenna(s) down, Slides in, Stabilizers up, Hitch locked, jacks up, chocks out.

That is nine more or less critical items. Problem is I can't get it to spell Mississippi or anything else useful. Maybe someone clever member has an idea. You could be famous.
Well Dave, I don't claim to be clever, but in order to become famous I did come up with a "sort of" acronym for your list. If you know someone who is a drill sergeant with the name of Jay, it would probably help you remember my acronym; it is "J CHEWS ASS." This incorporates all 9 items on your list, but you may not want to run around your rig saying that over and over while tearing down.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:22 AM   #13
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Larry,
That's good. Let's see if I got it-
j-jacks up
c-chocks ou
h-hitch locked
E-electric unhooked and stowed
w-water unhooked and stowed
s-sewer unhooked and stowed
a-antenna(s) down
s-slides in
s-stabilizers up

I'm impressed. You are definitely a poet and ought to be famous.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Larry I love it. You are too clever! I can't wait to throw this one at Ed when he is breaking camp. We check each other before we leave - his is outside, mine in and then we switch places. We will be on the road tomorrow so I won't have to wait long.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:38 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Larry,
You are one creative guy! I sure got a much needed laugh out of it. =)

Sue,
I cannot picture you running around outside yelling "J chews ass" while breaking down, but the thought was sure made me smile... =)
Old 05-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #16
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Can't we change this to "J chews Bass" so I can fit my "B" for beer in somewhere????

mac
Old 05-25-2006, 03:41 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Mac,
That could be the "set up" moto! One would not want the beer involved during "break down" as driving will soon follow. I just stocked my fridge with a case of beer, stop on by ~ I made a Costco run. =)
Old 05-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #18
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave,

You da man! I'll be right over!

mac
Old 08-15-2006, 08:54 AM   #19
CJFOUTDOORS
Established Member

M.O.C. #6160
Went for a 4 day trip this past weekend and learned a good lesson. The rule "when in doubt, leave it out" didn't apply! We went back to Hustons Hickory Hollow Campground in Somerset, PA (were there in June '06) but went to a back-in site overlooking the lake. Backed in, leveled up and began setting up for the weekend. Well, got all leveled, put down stabilizers, put out slide so wife could get things done inside while I finished outside. I went out to hook everything up. Water line was OK as I had an extra length of hose - only then did I realize that I had set up too far back in the site as my power cord was 6' short. No problem, just get the extension that I had ----- that I had taken out 2 weeks ago because I haven't needed it in 3 years! I remembered taking it out to reduce the "unnecessary items" taken - knowing full well at that time I would regret it. Well after another 1/2 hour to unhook and take in everything and resetting, we final were set for the weekend.
A lesson learned the hard way!
New to the site and loving it! Thanks for all the great info!
CJFOUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
CJFoutdoors
Just be sure to put that on your take down lists so you don't forget it at the campground. We use to have one and guess what? Yup, we left it at a campground. We've only ran into the "too short" problem one other time and thank goodness noticed before we unhooked the truck.
Happy trails..........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote