Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2007, 03:23 AM   #1
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
shock absorbers on Monty

Does the 3400 have shocks in addition to the more-ride suspension?
Thanks, sorry for being such a pest
Rick

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No...We were told by Mor Ryde that the addition of shocks had been tested and proved to be counter productive.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Ditto on what Rich said. I believed they covered that at the Rally in Goshen.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
DMS
Established Member

M.O.C. #5504
Rick:
Keep the questions coming. I'm learning lots. We've been looking at fifth wheels for years now and like you we ordered a 3400 on Saturday. We had wanted a smaller unit but my wife fell in love with the 3400 floor plan. Then after reading the forum we were sold. You know I just had a thought...do you suppose all these other people are just salesman? They sure do a good job of it. The only problem with the 3400 I can see is our shed is now too short so they start adding on in a couple of weeks. Again, thanks for all the great questions.

Doug
DMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
OK, got me wondering. Boss purchased a 3400 early last summer -- no Shocks but it did have the MorRyde suspension. Said it was not riding as he expected, not real rough but 'bouncy'. Local dealer put shocks on for him and he said it took a lot of the 'bounce' away. At an RV show this past weekend in KC, I asked the guys from Naylors about it and they gave the 'company' response -- i.e. not needed. Guess it is one of those individual things -- match between the 5er and tow vehicle . Regardless, I don't see how shocks would make things worse -- as I recall MorRyde includes shocks on their IS suspension which is also rubber cushioned.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:03 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You would have had to attend the seminar. There was a in depth presentation both audio and visual on the effects of with and without shocks on the RE System. The data indicated that they were counter productive. Mor-Ryde went with the supporting data..as they should have. My guess is that Mor-Ryde would provide that data if asked.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:09 AM   #7
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Rich wasn't the discusson based on the information that the Moriride had a greater length of travel and that was what effected having shocks on the trailer with the mori/ride suspension?
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes but I can't quote the technical data presented. It was convincing to Mor Ryde and convincing to me when I heard it.As I recall the data was not collected by Mor-Ryde but by the Shock absorber manufacturer(nationally known)
Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #9
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
DMS,

You wrote "You know I just had a thought...do you suppose all these other people are just salesman?"

Hmmm, that hadn't occurred to me but certainly would explain so many of the posting on this forum. Including some of mine.

How clever of those Montana people to set up a forum and pay someone to write glowing emails. Maybe all of these user names are just one person at Montana headquarters.

I think when I get to the Spring Rally I am going to ask for proof of ID.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:07 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm... Should we be getting a commission on every Montana that is purchased based on a recommendation from a forum member???
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #11
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Now,I need to go out and look under mine, I looked at the Montana site and the photo can't see any shocks, looked at the Mor-Ryde site and all there show shocks. Hummmm.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes the Mor Ryde site shows shocks..That is a old, before the study picture and should have been updated. So said Mor-Ryde.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Rick,

I kind of went through this when I was going to add the Mor-Ryde LRE kit to my 2003. I studied the web page, and even the install instructions posted, all showing shocks. However, when talking direct to them, they quickly talked me out of the shocks, and said the web page is outdated. (Still is I gather).

Short trip on our new rig (400 miles), but the ride was wonderful. First impression is that the Mor-Ryde improves the ride handsomely, but I also reserve some opinion based on the longer length and the fact it was empty. I would give it a chance without the shocks first - as they require dropping the axle bolts to install the shock plate, and welding on the frame for the tower. Might not actually be worth it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote