Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Where do you go in RGV?

Hi everyone, I notice a lot of you go to the Valley for the winter. We didnt make it this year but we go to Port Aransas, Tx. and are thinking of spending some time in the valley to see how we like it. We love to fish but get tired of the wind by mid-January.
Where does everyone go? Any favorite campgrounds you can suggest and where.
thanks, Diane.

dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:52 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dcahfer

If you don't like the wind, this might not be the place for you. High wind is the number ONE complaint we hear about the Valley.

There is enough to do, or not to do, everyone we talk to says they are busy from day break to bedtime at night.

As far as campgrounds, too many nice ones to start that kind of list! HA HA! That becomes a personal preference.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:39 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are going to give a couple of areas a try the winter of 06 the RGV being one of them.We have been watching the weather in the RGV and the temps are ok but the wind is a factor..don't know till we try it so are planning on at least a month in the valley,also on the list are a couple of places in Arizona. Florida has got to expensive over the last few years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:43 AM   #4
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Usually by the middle of January we have had enough and head for Florida. We have a park in St. Pete's that we go to and have a great time there. Not that much more expensive at some of the parks in Florida but you have to do your homework and find them. Prices are getting a bit ridiculous for the average person. So from the sounds of things, I cant get away from the wind by going to RGV. Thanks,
Old 03-11-2006, 06:36 AM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
This coming spring when we head down to the RGV, and after this first experience. Christa and I, plan on parking on the northside of CountryGuy and a few others to BLOCK THE WIND. Then the problem is solved.
All joking aside, while down there I observed SIX awnings that had been destroyed, while the folk's went for a few hours. WE saved a lot of them, but didn't have enough help to get to those six.... The wind come's up every quickly down there See everyone next spring.. Later John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Well now, we enjoy the RGV and think of the "wind" as "gentle balmy breezes". We welcome the air movement for it makes the weather much more comfortable. Exercising common sense and caution should prevent awing mishaps. We pull up and extend our awing several times during our stay in the valley depending on the flow of the breeze. Counting the days until next season ......
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Diane-
The advantage that the RGV has over where you are is all the constant activities that happen to keep a person busy during their stay down there.

Since you like to fish and have been going to Port Aransas you are already familiar with the area. Personally Rockport is inland far enough that you don't feel the wind effects as bad as at PA or the RGV. The other plus is that there is not as many Winter Texans in this area, hence not a problem with traffic as in the RGV. Not only is the wind constant in the RGV, it carries a considerable amount of dust and dirt with it.

I live about 150 miles NE of Rockport on Highway 35, we have some wind in the winter, not near as bad as PA or the RGV, but no blowing dust and dirt. Houston is close for anything that you could possibly want. The downside for my area is although the winters are pleasant, temperatures will be on average 3-5 degrees cooler than PA or Rockport and 5-10 cooler than the RGV. There is also lots of places to fish in the Matagorda, Freeport, Galveston area.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Thanks, everyone. I think I will stick with Port Aransas. I/we love to fish and I got to know exactly which way the wind blows to catch great fish . We seem to have the awning out for a few hours and then by 3;00 PM its time to roll up again. Can't leave anything out but thats the price you pay I guess. It is still better than wintering in Canada. Anyone want to learn how to catch great fish from shore, come on down to Port A. after Nov/06. Be glad to give you a few pointers.
Diane
Old 03-14-2006, 02:17 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been looking at several places to roost during the winter and will try all of them but it may be hard to beat Yuma , Az for all around good weather in the winter.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our awning was deployed the entire time we were in the Valley (2 months) and we didn't lose it or have any damage. However, it was strapped down, had 5 deflappers on each side, and had a screen on the long side which was also strapped down. Nevertheless, the wind made it rock and rattle a lot.

Hemlock, the wind sometimes blows just as strong from the north down there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We were in the RGV 3 & 1/2 mos & like Steve we strapped ours down & no damage to it Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
If I'm going to be in the wind whereever I go, I'm going fishing in Port Aransas then, new camground just opened there. booked in for next year. 2 blocks from the ferry. great walking and sights. I missed my winter south this year so we are just dreaming of sitting on the park bench at nite watching the ferries and freighters go by. Come on November. thanks, everyone and if you're in the area drop by for a marguerita.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #13
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we were in that area in Feb. Saw a mountaineer coming off the ferry. we noticed that just driving around we got a lot of dirt--I believe was caused by the sea mist from all of the wind. we were wondering what kind of damage it can do to the 5er--especially the slide mechanisms, etc. do those of you who stay along the ocean do anything special with your rigs or do you not woorry about it?
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote