Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
GPS and Mapping Software

Well, I now have my GPS 60C working with both Microsoft Streets and Trips and also Delorme Street Atlas. I found that both programs only accept serial data. Therefore, I had to use my serial cable into a Serial to USB converter. On the surface, I did not see what was different from bringing data out of the USB port to the USB port on the PC. However, evidently the flow of data is controlled differently in the serial (com) interface than in the USB configuration. I am using a Belkin Serial to USB converter for PDA's. I have found that it will lock the computer if I try to download waypoints. But, it does work. Both programs have advantages. I find that there are a lot more campgrounds listed in the Microsoft Program than in the Delorme program.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Thanks for the info and update. I use a serial to usb for my laptop and my Delorme, old yellow GPS. It actually feeds the computer and my ham radio for the "APRS" feature used by hamrad and myself. Although mine is not working because the truck is in storage. In may I will be RF live while on R&R.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have both the old serial Earthmate and the newer USB version. Street Atlas accepts the newer one plugged into a usb port but that's probably because it's a delorme product. I agree S&T seems to have more of the CG's but SA has most of the ones I've looked for. I also find SA has a whole lot more businesses than S&T. As you said, each has its advantages. I still wish one would buy out the other and combine the best of both. With my luck they'd do the opposite and combine the worst of both, though!

I have about four gps units around here. When I decide to use S&T for a trip I use the Microsoft GPS that came with it. When I use SA, I use the delorme one. Then I have the older delorme serial gps and a navman gps just kind of laying around. Someday I guess I ought to try selling a couple of them on ebay.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Steve -
If you sold them, you'd probably go buy another one, anyway. The kids got the family a weekend away for Christmas. So, we are about an hour from home and wanted to go to a Japanese steakhouse. They had about five times as many in Streets and Trips. Also, the campground that we are staying at this year in Galesburg, Il is not listed in Streets and Trips. Nor was the Rafter Bar J out in Hill City, S.D., which we stayed at last year. It was a major campground. But, Streets and Trips does have the voice directions, which is nice. So, we will be figuring out the best way to use both. They both had lots of gas stations, so that is one of the nice to have features. Now both work with my GPS60C, so I'm happy.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, I'll take your word for that as I'd have to go look. I know I've had trouble finding Walmarts very easily with S&T and haven't had that problem in SA. I suppose each is better at some things and not at others. I could have sworn Rafter Bar J was in my SA2004 version but don't see it in the 2005 version. We stayed just up the road towards Hill City, Crooked Creek I think it was. I went over to Rafter Bar J to get a propane tank refilled. Very nice place. We were wondering if we should have stayed there but had gone for the 50% off using Passport America at Crooked Creek. That's the only place we've ever been (except the rally) where another MOC member pulled into the site next to us. About an hour after we got there!

Glad to hear you got it working. As I mentioned before, I wish there were some way to do my route planning on S&T and then import it to SA2005 for my actual on the road time. Have you just set up a route and gone out and used them on the road yet? When we were planning to head to Savannah from the Kansas City area I set up three or four different routes so we could quickly shift gears if the weather changed on us.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Here are a few things that I found easier with each of the three programs that I have - Map Source from Garmin, Street Atlas USA 2005 from Delorme and Microsofts Streets and Trips 3005.

- Basic Detail of roads - Microsoft Streets and Trips
- Finding Churches and specific stores/shops - Mapsource (Delorme, limited and Streets and Trips not at all)/Street Atlas next
- Campgrounds - Streets and Trips
- GPS Feature - Mapsource, Delorme
- Find on the Fly - Delorme Street Atlas (directional search for services)
- Ease of use with Garmin GPS - Mapsource (no need to use serial/USB interface
- Spoken directions - Delorme Street Atlas

Steve, like you said, they each have advantages. I have enough programs to get me wherever I need to go. Now, I'm going to build my laptop mounting device for in the truck. Saw enough of the online e-bay designs that it won't be a problem.

Old 02-11-2005, 04:08 AM   #7
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Was wondering if anyone had seen the 2005 trailer life campground directory. It is a 2 CD program and it says it is gps compatible. Wondering if it is worth the money. Ron A I have a mount coming for my truck that I bought on ebay. It is powder coated gray to match my interior. When I get it mounted will take pics and post on my site.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:29 AM   #8
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
I received a 30 day trial offer yesterday so I sent it in to get the discs. Should be here in the next week so I'll post a review after I've had a chance to play with it.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
What happens after 30 days. does it quit working. If it will work of a gps maybe my delorme one will work with it.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:22 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, your usb DeLorme Earthmate should work with any software that recognizes an NMEA compliant GPS. The older earthmate, the serial one, is not compliant and wouldn't work with it. The difficulty I've found with using a usb gps with other than its native software is they all seem to look for a gps on a serial port so you have to have drivers to fake it out. I think the earthmate comes with those drivers if I recall but I'm not positive. The same is true of all brands of usb gps.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:56 AM   #11
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Thanks to all you GPS information sharers, we are going to purchase a set and with all the information and on this thread and others you have made it much easier.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:55 AM   #12
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
ronstan
I don't know what happens after 30 days other than they have you ship the discs back. I'll let you know what the documentation says after I receive it.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:32 AM   #13
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Well I finally received my trial copy of Trailer Life 2005 RV Parks & Campground Navigator. So far I've got mixed feelings about it and haven't decided it I'm going to keep it.
On installation it loads all data on your hard disk. It doesn't give you the option to just install the program and use the data disc like last year 2004 program did. This could pose a problem if you're short of hard disk space.

I loaded it on my desktop computer (SONY VAIO) first. It appeared to load and start OK but when I tried to find a place, got an error message and the software shutdown. I haven't had the time to troubleshoot it yet.
I then tried my laptop (HP Pavilion). It loaded OK and worked when I tried it. I like the way the map looks. Lots of detail and better looking than the MapSource from Garmin. It looks a lot like Microsoft Streets & Trips with better detail. However the first campground I tried to find (because it's the first one we're going to this spring) it location is about 8 miles off. It's in a different town. Also the data doesn't give you the address like the 2004 Software did. I think that's a serious problem because there's no way to cross check a location with another program unless the 2nd program has the campground in it's database. I think the error is the most serious problem I've got with the software.
I next planned a trip. It uses the same interface the 2004 program uses. You type in what you're looking for and then it searches the data base and gives you a list. You select from the list and can choose whether to add it to your route or go to the map. This is about how Microsoft finds things but I like Microsoft better. Less cumbersome.
After establishing your start and endpoints and any waypoints inbetween you tell it to calculate the route. It gives you the route on the map and you can select the color of the displayed route on the map. There are also arrows that show your direction. All works pretty well except if you want to change your route. It's darn near impossable. You would have to put waypoints at each location you want to force. In Microsoft Streets & Trips and in Garmin's MapSource you can click on the route and drag it to a new location. Much more convenient.
So again there are some things to like about it but it has some serious problems, wrong location and difficult to establish a different route.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #14
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Boy I'm not sure that is such a good deal. If you didn't know where you were going you could get lost. I could see being off 1/4 of a mile but in a different town completely. I think I'll skip this one.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:16 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim and Pat, I'm not familiar with that software but you might make sure your anti-virus is turned off before installing it on your Sony. I've had problems with applications not properly installing with anti-virus turned on. It might not help you but just in case...
Old 04-10-2005, 06:56 AM   #16
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Thanks Steve
I'm aware of that issue when installing software. My laptop didn't give any problem and I haven't had a chance to check out the desktop yet.
My next test is going to evaluale how my Garmin 60 works with the software.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:23 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I just went with the Garman GPS-18 Deluxe USB.. I am a fan of Garman technology and this system has the voice prompt that wife insisted upon./I have used microsoft streets and maps/GPs and it is a excellent program..As a part time over the road bus driver I have used about all of them and they all do the job. The Garman system best price so far is on buydig 117.95 to your door...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 07:24 AM   #18
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Okay I am having trouble with my one laptop finding the satellite's. I was playing around last week when we were in a state park and tried my newer laptop and it could not find the sat. Both have xp Oh I am using S/A. Any ideas.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't know what the problem is but..The PC does not find the satellite's the receiver does.are you using a serial or USB port..make sure that it is working..There are 24 sat in orbit and you must aquire and lock into three satellites to get position. Sounds like a input problem..information not getting to the P.C....Xp should be no problem..We use it OK..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:21 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, does it say it's acquiring satellites or does it say no gps? if the latter, make sure the software is set to auto detect the gps. I think you're using the earthmate usb version, if I recall, so it should easily autodetect.