Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
Tank Heaters

I did a search on the site and didn't find anything related to this topic. Has anyone installed heaters on their black, gray or fresh water tanks? I found both 12 volt DC and 120 volt AC heaters at UltraHeat that look pretty easy to install for winter camping. They protect down to -11 degrees and automatically turn on and off. I have two propane catalytic heaters already installed in the Montana that sip propane unlike the furnace. But running the catalytic heaters instead of the furnace doesn't do anything for the underbelly of the rig. I also have a 200 watt portable solar panel to keep the batteries up when boondocking which will power the tank heaters if I install them. Anyone having experience with these and any tips for me.

Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, the tanks would be heated, but the lines will freeze first. They design these things to be protected with warm air under there, best stick with that, for 100% safety.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
I understand how Keystone has designed the belly to be heated. The UltraHeat site also have water line heaters, also 12 volt. These heaters can keep the tanks and lines heated while going down the road. As far as being 100% safety, do you know of any adverse safety issues with these heaters? I am totally clueless about them except for what I have read on thier web site. Of course, the web site makes them sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Tank heaters were a big item before they started enclosing the belly areas. The furnace is ducted into the belly area to keep all the tanks warm. The winter we spent in Tenn. was the coldest since 1934 and the only thing that froze was the water main 100 yards up the hill and it was buried about 3 ft down under the asphalt. We had temps down to 9 degrees. As for going down the road we have never had anything freeze because as soon as it gets that cold now we go south FAST!
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
swdw

M.O.C. #13756
My wife camps 4 days at a dog show in Denver . . . . in February. We had our lines and grey water tank freeze on the Dolphin motor home we had.

Now that we have the Montana with the Arctic package, I'm looking at installing tank heaters too. The tank heaters are thermostatically controlled. They are included in some models of Arctic Fox's that have insulated underbellies. Forest River uses a cheap Chinese knock off in their winter package, and again the tanks are insulated. So yes, they are safe. BTW, they also make dual voltage heaters that run off 12v or AC.

Yes you will need the pipe heaters. But those are only for the grey and black tank piping. You may need to heat trace any other exposed piping. Not sure on PEX whether that's considered safe. Researching that.

Another idea is to place an electric heater in the belly. However, if your freshwater tank is located where mine is, that won't help that tank. You'd still need to install a tank heater and may need to heat trace the lines.

Not sure how well this next idea will work but you can try this too if you have water and sewer hook ups. Open the grey water valve, turn on your sink faucet to flow slowly and let it run continuously when needed. (Just like we used to do in Montana in our house during really cold weather). This should keep the city water supply line and hose from freezing.
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I had tank heaters on my previous SOB and they were great, that unit also had the completely covered underbelly and the furnace also vented into the underbelly. If I were likely to be camping in colder weather I would now install them on my Montana. If you open up the basement wall and look at the perhaps 2" flex pipe that is supposed to keep your tanks and lines from freezing you will see that it really is not adequate and almost impossible to get much if any warm air to the rear of the unit where my fresh water tank is located.

Compared to my SOB the "Artic Package" on the Montana leaves a lot to be desired. I lived in Northern Canada in a mobile home when younger and know how hard it is to keep things from freezing under there. The tank heaters are added insurance, it is up to you to decide if the price is worthwhile. Some folks run their furnaces while traveling in the belief that will prevent freezing, have a look at how much warm air goes into the underbelly and how much cold air can get in around the not completely closed in area's of the underbelly and you will quickly see the only thing that is doing is wasting propane, not to mention the drain on your batteries.

I would not run water all night as that might freeze up your sewer drain line unless it is also insulated to the sewer connection.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We live in Alaska full time in our Montana. We have not added any additional heat source to the basement and we have never had our tanks freeze and we've been down to -35 for days on end. Our water line to the kitchen froze once. Bernie dropped the belly and found the water line was up against the steel beam. Well, steel is a great conductor of cold. So, he wrapped the water line in insulation and we never had another issue. Personally, I wouldn't bother with tank heaters.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Back in the day when we camped in the winter we didn't add extra heat and never had a problem.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
One of the most important things is to make sure your fresh water tank is always full. It will some time for it to freeze. Last winter in the NE we got down to zero a few times and nothing in the belly froze. I did add a small ceramic heater in the basement which helped keep it warm even on the coldest days. We also installed a remote thermometer in the basement and it showed that even at zero outside the coldest inside was 59 deg.

As for the black and grays we always wait until they are full to dump so there is always enough in them to keep from freezing.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
One of the most important things is to make sure your fresh water tank is always full. It will some time for it to freeze. Last winter in the NE we got down to zero a few times and nothing in the belly froze. I did add a small ceramic heater in the basement which helped keep it warm even on the coldest days. We also installed a remote thermometer in the basement and it showed that even at zero outside the coldest inside was 59 deg.

As for the black and grays we always wait until they are full to dump so there is always enough in them to keep from freezing.