Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2019, 08:02 AM   #21
Tselby

M.O.C. #17121
For when my electric bill is paid I use a little quartz heater that I purchased at Tractor Supply and to heat the basement I just leave the fan on circulate on the heat it seems to work well I haven't any Frozen lines and the heater is cheap to run if your electric bill it's not included

Tselby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #22
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
If the campground you are staying in allows you to hook up a bulk propane tank (at least 100 gallons), that will probably be the cheapest option. My RV has 40lbs propane tanks which cost around $30 to fill and hold close to 10(?) gallons of propane. The 100 gallon propane tank I was hooked to ran just under $100 to fill.

At the moment I'm using a combination of electric and propane. It costs me at least $75 more per month than bulk propane did, but the place I was buying propane from refuses to serve temporary propane hookups.

The way I'm set up now, is if it's above 20 degrees, electricity heats my RV almost completely. As temps drop, or when they are in that range all day long, the temp in the RV drops enough to turn on the main heater. This way a 40lbs tank lasts at least half a month unless we have a cold streak. When temps drop to sub zero numbers, the main heater runs a lot no matter what.

*edit*
I also have a quick connect faucet for my water connection outside instead of just a shower head, which feeds back into my water tank fill opening, and I filled the water station with insulation. With the hot water is turned on really slow, the hot water in the hose is enough to heat the compartment so the valves and hoses on the back side of the panel don't freeze. That happened a couple times in the past. If water freezes in the tubing, it pushes the hose off of the connectors and you have to reattach them.
My 5th wheel also has heated tanks.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #23
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
My Camco Wave 6 heater burns 1/4 pound of propane per hour and have steady even heat.