Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 08:02 AM   #21
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
Rohrmann - My 2017 3661RL has a quick connect located CS rear of the trailer. I have been wanting to use it lieu of carrying a separate tank or getting into tapping off the main tanks.

Just want to be sure I understand what you are saying...The trailer gas lines plumbed off the main tanks are regulated to appliance pressure, so if I use the quick connect for the grill. The grill won't perform optimally?
I wondered about this myself. While I don't have this setup, I would think that the quick connect port that was referenced above on the HC, would already be regulated to appliance pressure, so anything that you hook up to it, should work properly, unless for some reason, you had an appliance that had a higher pressure requirement than your on board regulator.

I could be wrong on this...

Old 01-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #22
Igoo65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25159
Artfuldodger, Can you post a picture of your set up and a list of parts that you used. I need to add a similar set up to my 3000RK.

Thanks,
Igoo65
Igoo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #23
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfuldodger View Post
On my last 3 trailers I've had a quick connect fitting for the barbie. This saves having to carry another propane tank. Now I have one on the new trailer. Too bad that Montana doesn't put this on either as standard equip or as an inexpensive option.
I saw several models on the factory tour that had a place to hook up a remote hose
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #24
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
I saw several models on the factory tour that had a place to hook up a remote hose
Montana's or High Country's?

I don't think remote ports are available on Montana models...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #25
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
Montana's or High Country's?

I don't think remote ports are available on Montana models...
Maybe someone in Goshen can tell us - do believe - well that was before yesterday … can't remember. In my short search, the 373RD has it and the 3813RD or 3780RL DO NOT … more feedback for product team
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:41 AM   #26
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Our old SOB unit had a quick connect at the door side rear. The connection was already regulated to appliance pressure, about 11 psi if memory serves. So what that means is that you have to remove the regulator from your grill since the gas input is already regulated or your grill will not work.
I had a Coleman Road Trip and it was easy to get the regulator off and change the connection. Found a 10 foot hose with the quick connect male fitting to plug into the female quick connect on my old RV. Just remember that any gas connection past the tanks in your RV is already run through the regulator, so unless you hook up directly at the tank itself, you don't want a regulator on your appliance/grill. I've heard the Weber grills are easy to remove the regulator as well.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:51 AM   #27
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Maybe someone in Goshen can tell us - do believe - well that was before yesterday … can't remember. In my short search, the 373RD has it and the 3813RD or 3780RL DO NOT … more feedback for product team
Website lists it only on High Country models. Doesn't list it on Montana models...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #28
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
BBQ Connection to Onboard Tanks

Interesting discussion. I have a Weber BBQ that was designed for the small disposable propane bottles so it has a regulator built in. That means the gas supply has to be high pressure directly from the tank. I bought a "T" connector to install between the CS tank and the red regulator that passes propane to the other side of the coach. the only time I turn this tank on is when the BBQ is connected or if my other tank runs out. I had a propane shop fabricate two hoses. The first is about 3 feet long and connects to the "T" connector and has a QD connector on the other end. When the BBQ is not connected, this short hose just hangs down next to the tank. The second hose is about 10 feet long, with the other half of the QD on one end and a fitting that replicates the top of a disposable propane bottle on the other end. Hooking up the BBQ is as easy as connecting the QD, connecting the other end of that hose to the BBQ and SLOWLY turning on the valve on the tank. If you turn it on too quickly, the safety valve will kick in and there will not be sufficient gas flow for the BBQ to work properly. From that point, the gas can be controlled with the valve/regulator on the BBQ. The next task is to plan for when to disconnect the BBQ. Remember, this is a high pressure line. On the last night that I am going to BBQ before we break camp, I turn the tank off and leave the BBQ lit so that it burns all the gas out of the lines. Then, in the morning when I disconnect the QD, I don't get sprayed with propane. I cap the end of the short hose, remove the long one and coil it up on top of the BBQ and put it in a bin in the pass through storage. I actually put this together for use on SOB TT in 2006. When I moved up to my Monty I moved the setup to the Monty. Works perfectly, relatively inexpensive and never had a problem. I attached a couple of pics for your viewing pleasure. In the one of the "T" connector, the hose on the bottom is for the BBQ and the one on the right is the pigtail from the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T Connector.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	5313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Short hose.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	5314  
Old 01-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #29
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
For quick connects installed *AFTER* the switchover regulator, you will have to remove the BBQ regulator. As written previously, the previously reduced pressure after the onboard regulator does not work well with the BBQ's regulator which expects full tank pressure.

For a Weber Q type or a Coleman Roadtrip BBQ, here is a link to adapters which easily replace your BBQ regulator. They also have an adapter for the Blackstone Grill if you have it.

Clicky

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:41 AM   #30
rambo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25041
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamLock View Post
We have a new 3120RL and I am looking for where I can connect my BBQ. Is there a location on the unit that I could be overlooking?
look under the steps that is where mine is.
rambo is offline   Reply With Quote