Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2005, 07:25 AM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Suspension system - shackles

Checked the shackles on the equalizers (both sides)for bolt hole elongation the other day, (HamRad's suggestion) and it seemed to me that things didn't look exactly right. Sort of like a hog looking at a wrist watch....so I had the Dealer's tech look at them while doing an axle bearing repack and brake job...didn't tell him exactly why or what to look for...and, sure enough...he found the same thing. The dealer is talking to Al-Ko about warranty (under 2 years for the axles/suspension).

Probably could have towed a long way before one of these things broke apart, but I wanted to make sure the other Forum members are reminded to check these shackles every once in a while for cracks or excessive bolt hole elongation. I know I saw a previous posts on this subject, and HamRad had reminded me of it, but it will be Spring and travel time for lots of folks soon. Better to find and fix it in your home area rather than "on the road".

If Al-Ko doesn't step up to the plate, any ideas as to probable cost? Shouldn't be a lot....these are only simple steel bars with two holes in them...eight total, as I recall.

Best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:04 PM   #2
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Since I know nothing about suspension systems for trailers..I wonder if anyone has pictures of what to look for? I could stay under my trailer for a week and still not know what to look for. I do know That I have shock absorbers and they look ok, but thats about all i know. While on the subject, is there a good RV maintenace book out there that would be worth while purchasing for someone like me who needs to learn a few things? Especially, about trailer axles and suspension. Thanks for the heads up.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
The Al-Ko Owner's Manual should have been included as part of all that bunch of Manuals you Ihopefully) received from your Dealer with your Monty. Page 30 of that Manual has a good diagram of those bits and pieces. The shackle is called a "shackle link" in that diagram. It is a smallish steel bar, about 5-6 inches long, ~1/4 inch thick and ~7/8 wide.

Time and circumstance permitting, I'll try to get a couple of pictures posted here tomorrow. All you really can see without jacking and disassembly is the edge of the bolt hole showing past the head of the bolt if it has elongated that much...mine had.

Best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:22 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pat, is that an Alko thing or a Keystone thing?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I dealt with this on my old TT. Not only do the spring shackle holes elongate and break, but the spring bolts use nylon bushings that wear through in oh say 10,000-15,000 miles or so.

I am already planning to upgrade to the heavy duty 1/2 inch spring shackles and switch to greasable bolts with brass bushings. I will put enough miles on that it is a matter of when, not if the original stuff gives out.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Pat I'm glad you got them checked. Would hate for anyone to have problems on the road because of this issue. Thanks to Gruffy for first bringing it to our attention. After his info hit the forum I started checking mine very carefully. By the way this is not just a Keystone problem..... many other mfgs.... use the same thing.

But do check them and when and if you replace make sure you get the heavy duty stuff that Eric mentioned. They are MUCH more substantial. And I like the ability to grease various parts of them. That's got to make them last longer.

Good luck. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Where did you get the heavy duty parts, at a standard auto supply place or an rv dealer?
Old 01-30-2005, 03:23 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
sreigle,
I got the replacement parts at a local brake shop supply store. Just ask around at some local mechanic shop for where to go. I don't know if my local RV dealer carries the Heavy Duty shackles or not.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:30 PM   #9
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Well, the last time I got the parts I got them from:

http://www.championtrailers.com/

I've been getting a catalog from them for several years now.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:35 PM   #10
Montana_2730
Established Member

M.O.C. #2730
The pictures posted on this forum identified the heavy duty shackles as Dexter. Thats good to know. Here is a link to the site.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/service_kits___instructions

Download the complete service kit catalog PDF file and go to pages 26 thru 30 to see the shackles with the grease fittings.
Montana_2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:52 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, everyone. I've saved this info. Appreciate it.