Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Montana_283
Established Member

M.O.C. #283
converter

I have a 2955, added an autoformer,& a surge protector in front of it. Changed the 123 volt batteries in Quartsite for two six volt batteries. Headed south to Mexico. In Mazatlan, at the rv site I started blowing a thirty amp fuse, did it about five times, while I tried to isolate the problem. To do this I disconnected the autoformer, still a fuse blew, disconnected the surge protector and reconnected the autoformer, still a fuse blew, by-passed both and still a fuse blew. I think the converter is not working. There are no clicks and I have not heard the fan run. I have a generator onan, 3600, I just added a 155 watt solar panel with regulator. After leaving mexico I have not had any fuses blow but have not had any clicks or fan noise.

Montana_283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wzahnd

After leaving mexico I have not had any fuses blow but have not had any clicks or fan noise.
It's very possible that the power you were connected to in Mexico had either a "hot" ground or reverse polarity. You were fortunate that you didn't burn up anything in your rig. However, I would have the converter checked. Your RV dealer can check it quickly for you (if you can't) and it should be rather inexpensive.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote