Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Lippert Slide out factory Rep

We had our slide out pump replaced (leaking) by dealer and all parts and labor is supposed to be payed by Lippert. Still waiting on check. The Lippert factory rep told me to pass on his name and number to the MOC for anyone that had any problems or questions on slideouts. His name is Dale Brubaker and phone 574-537-8900. I believe he could help answer many of the questions that are being asked on this forum.

5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:10 PM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Good info. Recorded name and number in my files.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Me too. Thanks for that info.

I see yours is a 2003 model, like ours. I don't know the warranty on that pump without looking but it appears Lippert may be going out of their way here. Again, I've not checked the pump warranty.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:22 AM   #4
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Gang, make no mistake! WE ARE NOT GOING OUT OF OUR WAY!! The warranty for the slide room mechanisms and the devices that operate them for hydraulic systems is five (5) YEARS from the date the coach is manufactured. If it is an electric ball/screw type actuator, it is three (3) years.

Most of you who have 2003's, the original pump that is in your coach is a Haldex single rotational pump. That means that on top of the pump itself is a directional valve. It is a large aluminum block with a coil-valve at each end. One points toward you when you open the access door and the other is on the opposite end away from you in the back. Each coil has two wires hooked to it. The purpose for the directional valve is to shift a spool back and forth inside to open and close ports to send the pressurized oil to the ends of the cylinders that you are requesting. Such as extend or retract the rooms. And even in some cases, especially newer coaches, extend and retract the landing gear.

In 2004 and newer coaches, the pump is either a Haldex or Parker bi-rotational. That means the directional valve is eliminated. Much better system because there are less moving parts! If something occures with the original pump in your 2003's, you will get a bi-ro pump in place of the original. Do you know why? That's right! The single rotational with the directional valve on top is obsolete!!

Conversion from si-ro to bi-ro is a piece of cake. If you have a basic understanding of electricity and hydraulics and are mechanically inclined, you may be able to make the swap yourself. I send a lot of pumps with the conversion kits to retail customers such as yourselves.

Besides, who can do a better job of putting the new pump in any better than yourself. If I do send you a new pump, you will also get my business cell number so that as you are making the swap, and get stuck you can call. I answer that cell all hours of the day and night. The only time I won't answer is when I'm in the boy's room, you know what I mean. (he he he)
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Montana_2130
Established Member

M.O.C. #2130
Was fortunate enough to call and talk with MIMF about our slide/breaker problems. It was refreshing to speak with someone who was both knowledgeable and sincere. Our dealer is truley cluless when it comes to repair. This fix should be posted on a site for all to see, as I have seen many posts on slide problems, and the fix is very easy if it is just your breakers triping. Thanks again MIMF.
Montana_2130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:28 AM   #6
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I received a check today from Lippert for labor of having my slideout pump replaced and it was for $170.00, but Sonny's RV charged $425.00 which I paid so I called back to talk to Lippert asking why I didn't get the full amount. The woman's name was Pam and she told me that they tell the dealer that it is an hour job and that is what they pay. She also said that the dealer charged 5 times what it should have, so they paid me for 2 hours instead of one. I believe Lippert is going out of their way to keep customers happy because they are going to send me $200.00 more even though the dealer charged way over.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I think I would be going to the dealer and seeing if they won't give you some relief on that
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

Gang, make no mistake! WE ARE NOT GOING OUT OF OUR WAY!! The warranty for the slide room mechanisms and the devices that operate them for hydraulic systems is five (5) YEARS from the date the coach is manufactured. If it is an electric ball/screw type actuator, it is three (3) years.

Most of you who have 2003's, the original pump that is in your coach is a Haldex single rotational pump. That means that on top of the pump itself is a directional valve. It is a large aluminum block with a coil-valve at each end. One points toward you when you open the access door and the other is on the opposite end away from you in the back. Each coil has two wires hooked to it. The purpose for the directional valve is to shift a spool back and forth inside to open and close ports to send the pressurized oil to the ends of the cylinders that you are requesting. Such as extend or retract the rooms. And even in some cases, especially newer coaches, extend and retract the landing gear.

In 2004 and newer coaches, the pump is either a Haldex or Parker bi-rotational. That means the directional valve is eliminated. Much better system because there are less moving parts! If something occures with the original pump in your 2003's, you will get a bi-ro pump in place of the original. Do you know why? That's right! The single rotational with the directional valve on top is obsolete!!

Conversion from si-ro to bi-ro is a piece of cake. If you have a basic understanding of electricity and hydraulics and are mechanically inclined, you may be able to make the swap yourself. I send a lot of pumps with the conversion kits to retail customers such as yourselves.

Besides, who can do a better job of putting the new pump in any better than yourself. If I do send you a new pump, you will also get my business cell number so that as you are making the swap, and get stuck you can call. I answer that cell all hours of the day and night. The only time I won't answer is when I'm in the boy's room, you know what I mean. (he he he)
MIMF - I have a 2005, 3400 RL with the selector switches. I like them, but wish they were easier to work, i.e. like inside the coach. Any idea on this feature by Keystone? Also, what type of pump does mine have? Any problems noted with the seales??
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:56 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
MIMF -

Once again (still), I'm glad to be a Montana owner. What other manufacturer of RV's monitors what their customers are saying and then takes it back into their business. And their suppliers as well. Now, if we can only get you to work with Keystone to get a retrofit bike rack for the Montanas - like on the Cougar. It's the only thing that I would like to see added. 5ER - hope you shame your dealer into fixing the issue. Tell them that over 2000 Montana owners want to know their name so they can avoid them.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:54 PM   #10
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
rames14,

I know of no other manufacturer that has an owners forum as active as MOC. We supply frames and slide systems to a majority of the manufactures all over the country. Even to mobile and modular housing, horse, cargo and boat trailers. Shoot, we are now starting a plant to produce snow plows for ATV's.

As for as a bike rack for Montanas, I will try to talk to some people in our organization. I make no promises but, I'll try.

Native Tex,

There is another type of room selector valve that is available for your coach. It is a quarter turn ball-valve style. It is expensive and it would convert to your Parker pump with no trouble. If you are interested in this style, call me at 574-537-8900 and I would be glad to quote you a price.

As for the seal problem, there is occasionally a pump that will leak fluid from the tank where it connects to the pump housing itself. Generally, it is because a small crack developes at the flange. If the tank is square with a yellow fill/breather cap, it is a Parker pump. Normally, if a leak does develope,we will replace the whole pump.

By the way everybody, if your coach has the Haldex pump, round or hexagon shape with a black fill/breather cap, I have bad news. It is temporarily , maybe permanently unavailable. The good news is that the Parker pump will fit and attach exactly like the Haldex!

Have a good day! Ive got to get to the office.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Thanks MIMF -

The bike rack would address a lot of owners out there. As for the selectors valve, I have used the valves on mine also, and they are pretty stiff. But I use it very seldom, so its not worth changing for me. I like it if I'm loading the rig at home for a vacation and can just have the curb side slides out. We actually had a neighbor complain to the village about our trailer being parked at home last year. They really must be upset when we have the Montana there. So, we always contact the village first to let them know it will just be there a day or so.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:45 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
5er, out of curiosity I just checked MIMF's profile. He is the Dale Brubaker you spoke with. MIMF EXPOSED! Thanks, Dale, for the help you are giving MOC'ers. You are appreciated.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:09 AM   #13
RVBUDDY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1109
Thanks for posting MIMF. Who knows, I might be calling you someday.

Its great your willing to help forum members. Three cheers!!!
RVBUDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:09 AM   #14
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Hey folks, I thought you all had that figured out days ago. Thank you all for the great comments. I do get great enjoyment doing what I do. Especially getting paid for it on top that!

I was watching this forum for a couple days before I started responding. I could see a need for some help here for some sincere people who enjoy their Montanas and anything else they RV in. I'm having a blast. However, my intent is to keep it as specific as possible to this forum. If some one on this forum needs help that is out of the realm of Keystone's hydraulic and electric systems, I will respond to them privately, unless you all tell me different. I don't want to upset they way this thing is ran.

Thanks again for your support!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:50 AM   #15
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
MIMF: Sent PM but must not have made the trip so here goes -- have a 2955RL (I think those are the correct numbers) Mountaineer - 2005 model. No valve assembly for hydraulics and would like to put one on if available -- often use 5er for KSU Football tailgates where we need the main cabin open but not the BR slide. So question is (after all that): Is there a retrofit valve assembly available; if so, who do we contact. Cost and any additional parts needed? Thanks in advance.

Also, kudos to you for helping out.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #16
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Skypilot,

I don't have the valve assembly either and would like it, but doing so would, at a minimum, require running independent hoses to all three slides. Ours are all hooked up together. Anything is doable given enough time and $$$. I suspect we would have to want it really badly to make it happen.

If it wouldn't require a new pump, I might consider it sometime in the future if I really needed a project

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #17
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Skypilot and Eric,

It can be done. Two slide room coaches are a piece of cake. If all you want to prevent from moving is the bed slide, there are a couple options. Each of you need to call me at 574-537-8900 ext 4303. I would be happy to discuss those options and cost with you guys. It may not be as costly as you fear. We will work out a way.

Have a good day.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:21 AM   #18
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
MIMF, I have a 3 slide 2002 3575RL. I would be more interested in generic control over all three slides.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:32 AM   #19
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
MIMF,
We too would be interested in separate control of each slide without using the valves, is that possible?
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:10 PM   #20
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Eric and Bill,

If you have three rooms and you want individual control of each room, it will be more involved.

You would need to remove or loosen some of the underbelly to string another 20' hose from one of the main floor rooms to the pump. Then you would be able to reinstall the underbelly. We have diagrams and instructions on how to do that. But, most people cringe at the thought of removing underbelly. Total cost not including shipping, close to three hundred bucks plus a whole bunch of time.

If you have three rooms and you only want to turn on and off the bed slide, it can be done for less than $175.00 and you are not messing with additional hose or the underbelly and is very simple to do because you will only take the set of hoses loose in the retract port or the port closest to you as you look at the pump.

The reason for all this is, that if your three room coach does not have the IRC (individual room control) valves already installed. there are two hoses going to and from the pump. Two in the retract port and two in the extend port. Each set connected with a "tee" and 90 degree elbow. The secret is that the two hydraulic cylinders used for the main and opposing rooms are looped together at each of their ports between the floor and the underbelly.

We could sell you a double IRC so that your bed slide is independent from the other two rooms. That is normally both valves for the IRC would be open. One valve would control only the bed while the other would control both of the other rooms.

If you were traveling and you wanted to stop and eat lunch or take a break, simply close the valve for the bed slide. Go inside and press the button to extend the rooms and only the main and opposing rooms would extend. This is especially handy, if you think about it, if the opposing room is a part of the kitchen. The only down side to this is that if the opposing room is an entertainment center, it will extend also.

If any of you want to do this, you know where I am.