Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
Filters and Water Pressure

Just installed a couple of Omni filters for the first time. There is a noticeable drop in water pressure at all faucets, especially the shower. I plan to troubleshoot it, e.g. check to make sure filter connections are free of teflon tape, clean scale buildup, kinks in hoses, etc.

I'm thinking the plastic quick connects at the convenience center may be restricting the amount coming into the rig? Anybody else notice a larger than expected pressure drop when filtering?

Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
We use a whole house filter with the highest flow rate we could find. Don't remember the brand but we got it at Home Depot. It has the activated charcoal filter cartridge. We have it outside on the water supply line. We notice very little pressure drop. We also use a Culligan under sink filter with it's own faucet. That one is a low flow, big pressure drop.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don and Mary, I would contact Omni, or their distributor and ask them if you should experience a pressure drop like you are having. You are doing the right thing checking all the things you listed.
On the charcoal filter, change that every 3 month's. In a household volume anyway, RV use might last longer. I just changed mine on my R.O. system made a world of difference in the taste
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have used multiple filters, and have not noticed a loss of pressure when filter is new. We use loss of water pressure as a sign that it is time to change filters. Of course, water pressure varies from Campground to Campground as well.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You might check how many Microns your debris filter is rated for. If your pressure coming to the filter is marginal a filter that gets the tiniest particles may not work for you. At our stick house (on a well) I couldn't use the best filters because they cut the pressure and they clogged within days so I experimented until I found what worked best for me.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have never noticed a drop in pressure and we double filter our incoming water when traveling. We do not filter our water in the park in Lakewood, NM because the water is reverse osmosis and we have found no need for filtering. Also, our anode rod in the water heater lasts a lot longer.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We, too, use a whole house filter from Home Depot. It's a GE Smart Water filter. I also have multiple plastic quick connects inline, at the filter, the regulator, on a Y-adapter at the spigot, and on each end of each 10-foot hose as well as at the water connection point on the Montana. Haven't noticed any drop in pressure.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
We have a triple jumbo filter from the The RV Filter Store and at the CG we stayed over the winter was having severe issues with their well pumps and I had to reduce the micron's we were filtering as the pressure was to low (25 PSI) going to the filters. We noticed with a 1 micron filter that a 5 to 10 PSI drop made it noticeable. At the CG we are at now the pressure is up around 60 PSI so we have no issues with pressure. Also, make sure the filter media is installed with the correct flow direction, this will make a difference as well.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Hope this is not a hijack...

Guess most of you all are full timers.. (?). So, a question for you part timers. DW and I go on a 3-4 day trip once a month and in the summer we'll take a month long trip. So, this begs the question.. how do you treat your filters when back at the 'ranch'. I don't use a triple filter.. just a charcoal filter that does some sediment filtering at the same time.

Usually, I just dump out the water from the filter and let the element dry. Don't know if that's proper or not. We also, at times, use the little blue in-line filters. They don't dry as easy as the cartridge filters.

Comments?
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
And the winners are? The Micron Men, I think. Did the trouble shooting thing, ahhh, in rain and snow at Traverse City, MI, over the weekend. What's with Mother Nature, anyway.

Before heading outside, I did some informal testing on the faucet filtering screens, before and after cleaning same with vinegar and and my wife's toothbrush, just kidding. No noticeable difference, and flow rate still low.

Went outside and before unhooking everything, I merely removed one of the Omni filters at a time. You guessed it, no problem with the rope filter, the one that reduces sediment and rust. But, big problem with the charcoal filter, the one that is supposed to make the water taste better.

After putting everything back together, I left the charcoal filter out and decided to read the owners manual, duh. It shows about 6 different types and levels of filtration. Only problem, the charcoal one I have, which is at 5 microns, is not supposed to be used with well water. Hmmm. The other charcoal filter listed is for 20 microns, but again, the manual states that it is not for well water. There are no other charcoal filter options and the system is a well.

Guess I'll just have to do the "Rope a Dope," unless anybody has another idea. I am going to try the other charcoal option, however. I'll let you know.

Thanks to all who volunteered an answer. The filters were purchased at Menards.
Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I've used charcoal filters on both a stick house and our rig with well water with no problems, but I used 10 microns to 20 microns. I always had trouble with 5 microns because the well pump will pick up tiny bits of sediment and clog those filters fast. Bill, when we didn't full time I did exactly what you are doing for a large number of years. Being in the restaurant business I'm acutely aware of bacterial growth and so would sanitize and air dry both the filters and the cases between outings.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote