Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
DRINKING WATER HOSE

Last night we were inside the Monty & we heard a pop on the side if our unit. I thought it was our neighbor working ourside. 30 minitues or so later I get up to rinse out a cup & we have no water. I go outside & the area is being flooded. Our water hose broke. This non-kink hose has always had a kink in it everytme I would roll it up. That's where the break was.

Now this is a non-kink drinking hose (white) from Camping World. I know I can contact CW about a refund. But my question is what do other people use for an inlet hose to your unit ??

We never drink the water at a RV site, we always use bottled water to drink, same for coffee, tea, etc. The water is only used for showers, toilet, dishes, etc.

I'm thinking of using a rubber hose. Although it's heavier in weight I doubt I'll ever have this problem again. I can just imagine what would have happened if this occured when we were sleeping or gone for the day.

What's the opinnion of my helping experts out there.

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Did you have your pressure regulator attached to the water faucet before the hose? There are some folks that put their pressure regulator between the hose and their RV - an accident waiting to happen.

I watched a neighbors hose burst a couple of years ago while he was gone, I turned off the water faucet and sure enough, he had the pressure regulator attached to his RV....
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
White hose. If it broke outside during the day while you were gone, the park management may become aware of this and turn off the supply. We try to remember to turn it off when we leave daily anyway, as we worry lots more about the inside of Tana flooding than the outside. A leak outside is one thing, muddy, grass gets watered a bit, but, inside, now, that is trouble. SIGH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We use White Hose I think from Camco Their are a HD version available
We also drink Bottle Water
And yes turn off the water when you leave your site good advise
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have a white hose purchased from the place we bought the Monte. Don't know the brand. And another (for an extension) we bought from CW. Don't know the brand of that one either. Both are white but material looks different. One swells a little after being hooked up to water for a while. Been thinking I would replace that one. But have never had a problem with either kinking.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
We don't use the city water connection much, other than to power fill at home, but I carry a hose I purchased at Sam's Club that I use only for filling the water at parks. As far as a rubber hose goes, I've yet to see anything other than a rubber hose to fill with(at least the outside anyway, inside is likely the same). I would think that the Health Department would put a stop to it's use if it posed a health risk.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have a raft of kink-free hoses around house and in the trailer. They ALL do kink especially if water is not on and I am rolling them out. I'm guessing the kink-free just means when water is pressurized or running and that they don't kink as much as a non-kink-free hose. I just live with it.

I had a busted hose once, but never since I now started using a regulator. I have had hoses go bad especially at the fittings but I think that's a different topic.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use hose we bought from the RV water filter store. More expensive, but I don't know anyone that has ever had a problem.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If you are not drinking the water from the hose I see no problem with a regular hose. We have used one ourselves in pinch, drank the wate and we're still here
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Our hose burst while camping near Colorado Springs at the foot of Pikes Peak. The manager found it after about 45 minutes. We offered to pay extra for the water, but he would not accept. We now turn off our water when leaving for the day.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I use the cheap drinking water hoses from the camper supply area of Walmarts. I prefer the ten footers because I can roll them up and have less chance of kinking. I have quick connects on mine and just connect together however many are needed at the time. I've not yet had one burst.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

...I use the cheap drinking water hoses from the camper supply area of Walmarts....
If you read the fine print on those hoses you will want to use pressure regulator cut way back!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We use the white hoses from where ever and we carry nothing longer than the 10 footers and connect whatever length we need. We also carry two four footers that we use one of them between the water softener/filter setup and the Monte itself. I never hookup to city water without putting a regulator on it before hooking up the hose/s. We carry as second regular garden hose for the flush connection for the black tank since ours is on the outside of the unit. I keep it in the back of the TV. I have read that if you use a regular garden hose for the city hookup there may be a chance of forming mold and mildew in it because of the darker color. This may be another of the myths of rving but.....
Heck I drink out of the garden hose all the time when at the sticks and bricks and look at me-- nothing wrong here! No comments on that statement either from my buds!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:01 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

We use hose we bought from the RV water filter store. More expensive, but I don't know anyone that has ever had a problem.
I've never had a problem in over 12 years of using hoses purchased from the Water Filter store.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #15
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Camping World white hose about 5-6 yrs old with regulator and water filter. Drink the rv park water most of the time.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Oh yes, besides a pressure regulator, I also use ball type shutoffs along the way. This way I can isolate the pressure when I need to. Look for brass shutoffs, the plastic ones DO NOT hold up. My hoses last forever now.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

...I use the cheap drinking water hoses from the camper supply area of Walmarts....
If you read the fine print on those hoses you will want to use pressure regulator cut way back!
Never noticed any fine print, Butch. They're the same hoses Camping World sells from what I can tell. They look the same, too. My regulator is set at 60 psi and is close to the trailer end of the run. All hoses from there to the park's spigot get the full pressure. Never had a bubble or burst hose or any problem like that with any of them in all these years. What does that fine print say?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

We use the white hoses from where ever and we carry nothing longer than the 10 footers and connect whatever length we need. We also carry two four footers that we use one of them between the water softener/filter setup and the Monte itself. I never hookup to city water without putting a regulator on it before hooking up the hose/s. We carry as second regular garden hose for the flush connection for the black tank since ours is on the outside of the unit. I keep it in the back of the TV. I have read that if you use a regular garden hose for the city hookup there may be a chance of forming mold and mildew in it because of the darker color. This may be another of the myths of rving but.....
Heck I drink out of the garden hose all the time when at the sticks and bricks and look at me-- nothing wrong here! No comments on that statement either from my buds!
Ron, I've tried those four-footers, both from CW and from Walmart. Probably at least half a dozen or the years. Every one of them failed me right away. Some kinked very easily when I tried to roll them enough to put them away. Others leaked right at the place where the hose connects to its built-in hose connector. So I gave up on them and use a 10-footer where you use the 4-footer. I'd like to use a 4-footer so tell me where you buy yours.

What I don't like about the garden type hose is the hose taste of the water. We do have a whole house filter connected as well as a regulator. Most of the time I drink that water but Vicki always uses her Brita filter. And recently I've been using the Brita water, too. I'm not paying for bottled water. Ain't gonna do it.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
I bought two 10' X 3/4" gaterhyde and put the filter in between. They will never break, good connectors too. http://www.factorydirecthose.com/sit...2/page/2143237
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #20
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Our first 5/8" hose that we purchase from Camping World failed about 3 years into our fulltiming adventure. The park turned off the spigot. We bought a replacement at Walmart and have had no problems in the last 4 years of fulltiming. Also, we only use a pressure regulator when it's known that the water pressure is above a hundred PSI. Your mileage may vary, but it has worked for us.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote