Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Battery Cutoff Switch

I was taking some things out of the camper, and I thought I would turn the cutoff switch for the battery. After finishing removing stuff, I went into the camper and noticed the WELCOME HOME light came on as I opened the door. Propane sniffer light on and everything else worked too.

Checked the switch and it was off, key out, but everything still works.

Pulled the switch out of the wall and checked with a volt meter, yup, power on both sides of the switch.

Do these things go bad???

oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Doubt it's your problem, but I wouldn't word the switch the way they did. For a while I thought it was off when it was on and vice versa. It's a switch, provided by the low bidder, so it certainly could go bad.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Like Dick, that switch always confuses me, I finally resorted to turning on the light in the convenience center, when I turn the cut-off switch to the position where the light goes off, I know that the switch is in the proper position. If you try this and the light does not go off on either setting then I would definitely replace the switch.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Also doesn't the battery switch still leave some circuits live? I seem to remember reading that from somewhere. It might be that the door circuit is one that is left active. I've never changed my battery switch so I'm just going by what I've heard or read. Good luck and let us know what you find. Happy Travels, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
There are several things that don't get cut off with switch. Carbon monoxide and propane detectors are two. To easily check for current draw disconnect a battery lead and just lightly touch lead to battery post. If any sparking you know there is current drawn.
To keep from draining my battery during idle time is disconnect negative battery at frame and insert 500 amp knife switch to ground.

PS: Before drawing arc at battery make sure it is well ventilated as a charging battery gives off hydrogen.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The door open light is also one of the things the battery disconnect doesn't disconnect on our rig. That helps make it even more confusing since you come in and detectors and that light works.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

I was taking some things out of the camper, and I thought I would turn the cutoff switch for the battery. After finishing removing stuff, I went into the camper and noticed the WELCOME HOME light came on as I opened the door. Propane sniffer light on and everything else worked too.

Checked the switch and it was off, key out, but everything still works.

Pulled the switch out of the wall and checked with a volt meter, yup, power on both sides of the switch.

Do these things go bad???
My first question is, Was the unit plugged into 120VAC when you did this test?
If yes then the convert was still providing 12vDC to the fuse panel.
If you were not plugged in then there should be 12vDC on only one leg unless the switch is bad.
Hope this helps.
Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

My first question is, Was the unit plugged into 120VAC when you did this test?
If yes then the convert was still providing 12vDC to the fuse panel.
If you were not plugged in then there should be 12vDC on only one leg unless the switch is bad.
Hope this helps.
Let us know what you find.
John,

YES, the camper is plugged into 120V power. I will go out tomorrow and unplug it and check to see what happens and let you all know.

THANKS....
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Actually all you need to do is cut the power to the converter by tripping that breaker.
The converter charges the battery and is co located with the 12 volt fuse panel. That is why nothing happened the converter was providing the 12 VDC. Not the battery.
Test any way your are comfortable.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I went out and pulled the plug on the 120V AC and turned the cut off switch to off and no lights.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

THANKS JOHN!!!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
just checked my new 3402 switch....if unplugged at plug the switch shuts everything off.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
eddie,
Try this simple check, turn the battery switch off (or on, dang it, I can never remember), then take your remote and see if the front legs will move. If so, you still have power to the remote control board in the battery compartment. Over time, this board will drain the battery.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:38 AM   #13
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
I went through all of this with the fire investigators. The LP detector must be ON any time the RV has a live power source, either from 120V AC through the converter, or from the battery. RVIA establishes Safety codes specific to RVs, not covered by other safety regulatory agencies like the NEC (national electric code) and NFPA 54: NATIONAL FUEL GAS CODE. You cannot operate gas supply solenoids to the furnace, refrigerator, or water heater without 12 volt DC power, hence the LP gas detector wiring scheme.

Some things I believe after working with fire investigators on the storage building fire caused by a MH with an energy source and a refrigerator left on in storage:
*Always close the valves on LP bottles when leaving RV unattended in storage.
*Disconnect batteries at terminals if a disconnect switch is not provided.
*If you must leave a refrigerator running while in storage, run on AC only and close valves on LP bottles.
*For the third time!... you do not want gas appliances in auto ignition mode unattended, CLOSE LP BOTTLES in storage!
*Remember, if you have electrical power to the RV, from battery, LP control systems are HOT. If there is no 110V power , they will activate.
* ALSO: never disconnect the LP gas detector, in fact make sure it is working and update it if it is 5 years old.
*Interesting info in this "RV Safety Alarms test":
http://www.mtidealer.com/images/Safe...012Revised.pps
you will probably have to go to your downloads folder after clicking this link to open it
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, I guess it's good to know the 12v cutoff doesn't really cut off all 12v circuits if they're getting juice from the converter. I discovered that when I used the cutoff so I could work on something that was 12v. Surprise. I'd prefer a 12v cutoff shut off every 12v circuit even when connected to shore power. But it is what it is.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote