Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Secret Boondocking Sites

We try to spend as much time boondocking, because we love the peace and quiet, and of course it reduces our RV park or campground costs for budgeting fulltiming.

One of the hard things to do is to publish those places, because as soon as they are known, the "Happy Camper" shows up, and the peace and solitude are lost.

For those reasons, we rarely publish or share our favorite places except with our very special friends who are also boondockers and love these very special places as we do.

With the privatization of state and federal campgrounds being run by organizers like Hoo Doo, the costs have gone up exponentially. The more popular parks that used to be ~$8 are now ~$16 or more.

With the hot weather, we decided to go to higher elevations, and in so doing, we have the opportunity to check out the state and federal campgrounds. In doing this, we again have found that the sno-parks offer what we are looking for in the summer.

Like today, we are parked about a mile or so from a federal campground, we are in a sno-park, up against the trees with privacy, campfire ring, lots of firewood, good solar, good shade, very level ground, and no one else is here, and there is no fee!!

We have Broadband service for internet, telephone service, and satellite TV.

So, if you are interested in an easy way to boondock, check out a sno-park. They are always big open spaces. You can check them out before pulling in using google earth.....what a life!

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Robbie, what is a sno-park? I like what you describe.

On Edit: I think I found the answer to my question doing the sno-park search. Thanks for the info Robbie.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Jolu,

Sno-Parks are usually off of forest service roads and are typically used by snowmobiles or cross-country skiers in the winter.

Here is where we are located:

Latitude: 48°23'30.60"N
Longitude: 119°53'15.92"W

Wish I had a better way to show you where we are located...try google earth and plug in the coordinates to see the aerial photos.

If you're a Goosenecks fan, you'll love these places. Let me know if I can help.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
To you guys out in the western states, I envy your choices of camping places. To my knowledge we don’t have places like that available. There may be a few out there but most places I’ve came across you’re not allowed to just up and make camp. I’ve came across a few but they are so few it’s just too difficult to depend on them. We normally don’t boon dock anyway so maybe I’ve just not been aware of them.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Robbie; How true about telling people about your boonie spaces.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Robbie, that is a beautiful area there. We had some friends that lived in that neck of the woods and how beautiful. Enjoy.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Is that Loup Loup Summit?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The closest I can get at street view in Google Maps is your coordinates of 48°23'30.60"N -119°53'15.92"W. Looks like you are in the Okanogan National Forest and just a skip-jump from Loup Loup Summit. And I'll bet it is no where near 98 degrees like it is here.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I can see exactly where you are with Google Earth. If it were me, I would be parked with the nose of the RV pointed N or slightly NE. But I know you are oriented east/west

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow Carl, you even know what direction they are facing? You are GOOD!

I found them near the Loup Loup ski area too. Just north of the 20 hwy.

Robbie, it is very considerate of you to post your favorite boonie places. That looks like a nicely wooded, hilly and COOL area.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Well, unless it is really cold where Robbie is, you would be east/west also. In that way you would have the least sun/heat exposure.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:12 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Actually, you are all right. We are in the Okanogan National Forest, at the summit of Loup Loup pass. We are oriented North South, because we have plenty of sun in the afternoon to keep our batteries charged, and early morning shade.

The elevation is 4095, and 18 miles away in Omak, it was 95, we had 75.

The day we got here, the high was 85, but in all of the surrounding towns, they were reporting near 100. High elevation sure helps beat the heat.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:29 AM   #13
vgforbes
Established Member

M.O.C. #9454
I know this will sound uneducated, but who,how,what do you have for broad band connection for tv/internet etc....we ahve nothing and would realy like to find an affordable means of hooking up thanks Gary and verna vgforbes107@hotmail.com
vgforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:51 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Gary and Verna,

We use a verizon air-card that is attached to a router. The router has an external 3-watt booster antenna attached through the aircard. With this setup, we can run several computers at a time, and as long as there is ANY signal, we can usually get our internet connection.

Several MOC members have used Alex Sian at 3GStore.com to help them setup their RV internet.

If you are interested, the contact information:
Work: 866 347-8673 x 712
Other: www.3gstore.com

Best of luck, setting up your internet connection. In the beginning, it can be a real challenge trying to figure out what is best for your travels.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 08-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary and Verna, we have the same setup and Robbie and Alice and also purchased through Alex at 3gstore.com . We couldn't beat the deal and he has excellent knowledge. They even took care of getting us signed up with Verizon, etc.

Verizon has broadband speed in quite a few places in this country and is rapidly, according to them, expanding to broadband in the rest of the country. Even those places without broadband, the speed is far better than dialup.

We also have an external antenna but have only used it once and didn't really need it then. But we have it, just in case.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Gary & Verna,
It appears those of us in Canada would have to pay roaming fees if we were to use this system at "home."
I married a Verna too!
Chet & Verna
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #17
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Gary and Verna,

We use a verizon air-card that is attached to a router. The router has an external 3-watt booster antenna attached through the aircard. With this setup, we can run several computers at a time, and as long as there is ANY signal, we can usually get our internet connection.

We were able to use Robbie and Alice's "wi-fi" during the progressive Rally this spring. It had good speed and dependability--certainly better than the paid park wi-fi.
Thanks again!
Mariana and Bill

Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #18
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
What kind of router are you using? Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kerry

What kind of router are you using? Kerry
Cradlepoint MBR 1000, with a Verizon express card on a 3-watt Wilson booster and Wilson data antenna. It was purchased from Alex Sian at 3gstore.com

Kerry, this has been a great alternative to our out-of-date satellite dish technology that we spent way to much money for a while ago.

Let me know if you need contact information.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mariana and Bill,

I am surprised to hear that the WiFi at 7 Feathers did not work well for you. I did not use it this most recent trip but in the past the system worked extremely fast and had no down time at all. So makes me wonder if they have maxed out their system or have some other sort of problem.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote