Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Rick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8298
Generator

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about the right generator to use?
I purchessed a Honda EM6500SK which is a little over size for the job at hand,
But I am wondering if it is too big for the compartment of the 3400RL?
iThe genny is in the compartment now but not attached to anything yet.
This genny weighs 237 lbs I am alittle concerned about the weight
on the floor pan. also the exhaust pipe is pretty close to the back wall, Should I be looking at some other Genny ?
The price was right on this unit that is why I purchessed it.
Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
Rick

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That's a beast all right. It's not unusual for a gen to weigh that much, but you can remove the wheels, if not already done so. The exhaust could be a concern if not shielded correctly for heat and you will need to plumb it away from your rig.

As for weight, you will need to get a chance to see how much it affected the RV's pin weight and GVWR. With the weight being forward of the wheels I am sure it will affect both.

Personally I wouldn't try to wire it in since there are some considerations I am not familiar with them.

Other members should be along soon with their implementations.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rick,

I tried a Google search and could not find that particular unit. I sounds big and noisy. If it is on the noisy then you will want to re-think having it in your unit. Perhaps you can use that generator for your stick house. It sounds like it would make a good backup unit in case power goes out.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
If this is the generator;

It is very nice generator and will run everything with little management of what is on...will make your neighbors angry due to noise.

I wouldn't put it in the front "prep" area of my Monty...not made for confined space.

The only generator I'd put in there and actually run w/o worries is an Onan as they are made for this type of operating space.
> I have a Kipor 3000Ti and use the Generator space for other storage so I'm not promoting Onan, be safe.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Rick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8298
Hi Again all,

I want to thank you all for your input here.
I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and take it back, and save up for the Onan, I am one that does things a little back wards at times,
I don,t like the Idea of having to fill two genny's all the time so didn't get the Honda Pair with the parrell cord,
The unit was a good price as it was last years model $3000.00 including the remote start. I belive the Onan is $5000.00 here in Canada.

PS No more Stick house, Full timing it now in my 09 Hickery 3400RL.
Rick ve7reh@gmail.com
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
On a 2- Honda system, you don't have to fill them both all the time. They make a tank that dual feeds both generators simultaneously. My preference for the two gen system is being to run only one when you don't need two.

But it's a personal preference.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Rick,

You don't need that big Onan generator unless you plan on running the air conditioner. For $5000, you can do better and not sacrifice the weight.

We have found that a single Honda 2000i suits our needs. If you have to run the air conditioner, you could buy two Hondas and connect the parallel kit.

I use a single generator, and can show you how to fabricate a fuel tank that can run either one or two generators without ever having to pour fuel. It costs about $50.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Robbie,

Could you post up or link to what you did for the remote fuel tank? I already have purchased two extra fuel caps for the hondas and a plastic motorboat tank to do this mod, but have not looked into the hose, connectors, and other necessary hardware yet.

Thanks!
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
KTManiac,

I posted in a different location at the risk of getting off track in this thread.

Check it out here.

Generator Auxiliary Fuel Tank
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote