Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Securing drawer under the sofa

Ken and I have been on our first three week trip with just a couple of hicups. We've got most of them solved...but one thing that continues to bug me. When we are 'on the road' the drawer under the sofa always opens. I can't imagine that is very good for the slide rails. I know many people have replaced the sofa....but for those of you that still have it...any suggestions on securing the drawer??? Thanks for your help!!

Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We have the same problem. We even had the dealer work on it. They installed a friction catch on each side, but it didn't work. Made it a little better. We wedge under it. It still comes out, but less often.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:35 AM   #3
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
We have the same problem with our 2008 3400RL. We just use a small nylon tie down strap (like the ones Keystone uses to secure the recliners or the dinette table and chairs) with a metal catch on one end that we just wrap around the sofa from front to back, fasten it together, and tighten it up. When we get where we are going we unfasten the strap and kick the metal fastener end up under the sofa and tuck the other end in between the pillows. It works well for us.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
We have always had a problem with the drawer coming open on our Big sky. We do something similar to one of the other readers. We use tie down straps to go under the sofa or the leg of the sofa and come up and go around te legs of the coffee table and end table that are already fastened down. Never had a problem with opening after this. Keystone should be putting some fastener on the drawer so it does not come open. We have mentioned this to the dealer many times, but nothing has ever been done so we just continue on with our solution. At least it does not come open.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Might I humbly suggest that telling your dealer ain't gonna make no difference.

Even telling Keystone isn't gonna have the impact ---

OF CONTACTING the manufacturer of the couch.

That said, I don't have a contact number.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We have a 2008 3000 RK and have never had the drawer come open. We do keep it filled with sleeping bags for the grandkids.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
We took a small piece of 4x4 wood (about 7inches long) and stapled the non skid material used to line cabinets with all around. When this is wedged under the drawer we have not had any trouble with it coming out. Put a slight taper on the 4x4 so it would slide under with ease.

Dean Nelson
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The website is http://www.flairinteriors.com/sleep/sleep.html. I have contacted them about our air mattress and was completely satisfied with the service I received from them.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #9
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have only had our sofa drawer open one time. Since than we have filled it with blankets, sheets, and other linens. Once we had enough weight in it...no problem. We also contacted Flair when we first got our Big Sky one bolt was broken and one missing which caused the bed to fold in the center when you sat on the edge. Flair was very helpful. Even sent us complete instructions on how to repair, but since it was under warranty, we gave instructions to our dealer and they repaired. I agree there should be some kind of fastener for this drawer, even though it has not been a big problem for us.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote