Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
a scarey happening

I was sitting under my awning yesterday watching a fellow monty owner hitching up to leave. He was backing the truck, his DW standing beneath the overhang, directly in the middle, between trailer and truck!! She was directing him back, and I know the tailgate wasnt inches from her. I was holding my breath! Then wasnt 30 minutes till another guy had his DW in the same position between trailer and truck. I dont know how many does this but sure looks dangerous. No way will I put my "cook" and partner in this position. I have a crewcab, long bed truck and have never needed any guidance in hitching up for I can view the fifthwheel hitch and pin from the drivers seat. Just wondering how many does this in hooking up?

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Are you kidding me? I'm usually inside still getting things ready when I lose my balance from the bump! Although I have been known in the past to hold the piece of wood for Dano when he's spliting. Guess it's just a matter of trust.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
This is one of the things that I preach against. I've warned people over and over about this. You know what happens? I'm told to mind my own d*** business! But I still keep seeing it and I still keep warning. I won't sit by and let someone do that without me saying something. Maybe I might be called a meddler but if I can save one life or prevent one injury, it will have been worth it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
I do the backing up while Walt stands beside the overhang and directs me because I follow directions better that he does or maybe it is because I can't give directions worth a darn.LOL Anyway I would never stand under there while he is backing up.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Wow! Never, ever even thought of doing that! Not that I don't trust Ed, I don't trust Murphy. If something happens, the truck and the Monty can be fixed, I might not.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I guess it takes all kinds!!!
When we are setting up the Montana if I can't see my DW in the rear view mirror the truck will not move an inch. The thought just scares me that I would be the one to hurt her in any way.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
No way...geez wife would really think I was out to get her...LOL
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Wow! Talk about a possible scary situation... Some folks just don't realize the possible "effects" of their actions until it is too late.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
99% of the time Lorraine is still in the trailer getting things ready to go but even when she is outside she is no where near the trailer. The only time I use her for directions is to stop me from backing into an object that does not appear in my mirrors other than that she stands clear of the truck and trailer at all times.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:23 AM   #10
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
A piece of black electric tape in the center lower half of the truck rear window visible in the rear view mirror is all the guide I need to safely hitch up- I line up the tape with the level on the front of " Annie" and ease back- Works for us- Of course we have an older
Monty - Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #11
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
DW tried that one time, I told her to get her butt out of there and stay out of there.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
If my DW is anywhere near the truck or trailer when my truck starts up it does not move until she is way clear and out of my way. She doesn't drive and her guiding is just as bad, plus I have over 35 years invested in this relationship and don't want to run over it.

It would be a good way to get rid of the ex however.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
All very good ideas.

Does anyone have a solution to learning which is 'right' and which is 'left'? ......thought about a big "R" with a sharpie on the right hand, but then might get it on the left, and probably wouldn't wash off.

Robbie
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #14
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Robbie, perhaps a few years in the military would solve the left and right recognition problem, "Your left, your left, your left, right left", etc. over and over.
You could also just practice the above marching when on walks or hikes, chanting the above together.
Don't forget to explain which is left and right before your start, and that when looking in a mirror left is right and right is left.
Only do this when it is right to do so and nothing is left to lose.
LOL.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Larry,

You and I think alike.

"Your left, your left, your left, right left"

"You could also just practice the above marching when on walks or hikes, chanting the above together."

Yeah, that's what we'll do......

I'd be left, your left, your left, right left...right to the dog house! Then, I'd have nothing left to lose.

Thanks ol' pal.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:13 AM   #16
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I would never never stand there while Don is backing up. I am usually still in trailer doing the inside thing.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are both out there when hooking and unhooking. It is always me at the back and Helen doing the backing.I do stand off to the side as I can see from there and we have the V- tail gate so the gate is not down but I can say that if the gate was down there would be no way anyone could get caught between the down gate and the camper when hooked up there is room to get between the gate and the camper and we have the new front end..not much room but the camper woud be hitched before any personal damage could be done.. However ..It is not a good idea to stand under the overhang when hooking or unhooking.. Why tempt fate.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote